C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Vapor Canister Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:09 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel Vapor Canister Location

My '96 LT4 is throwing "coffee grounds" up to the solenoid from the vapor canister & the new canister is on the way. The Haynes manual says the canister location is in the right rear wheel well behind a removable splash shield.

I've removed the wheel & for the life of me cannot see any kind of a splash shield or any area resembling where the canister would be. Pre-'92 apparently located in engine compartment, but now relocated

Any help on the location is appreciated.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

From the FSM - remove R/R wheel/tire then splash shield #2, hoses #1 then canister #4 from bracket #3

Name:  Evap canister.png
Views: 10237
Size:  20.4 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-22-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:41 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a problem on my 93. The line from it to the engine was plugged. I used a piece of wire with a hook on it and fed it down the hose turning it as I cleaned it along with shop vac to suck out the particles. It was time consuming but seemed easier than replacing the line. It is a hard plastic line and easily kinked if not careful. Put in new canister and hoses to fuel tank.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:24 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
From the FSM - remove R/R wheel/tire then splash shield #2, hoses #1 then canister #4 from bracket #3

Attachment 48002272
Thanks WVZR-1. This was most helpful. I was looking both across & forward of wheel instead of to the rear. R&R went perfectly, now keeping fingers crossed that damn light doesn't come on. I think I will pre-empt similar problems on my '95 ZR-1 & replace as well.

Rob
Old 07-24-2016, 02:29 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by scotth48
I had a problem on my 93. The line from it to the engine was plugged. I used a piece of wire with a hook on it and fed it down the hose turning it as I cleaned it along with shop vac to suck out the particles. It was time consuming but seemed easier than replacing the line. It is a hard plastic line and easily kinked if not careful. Put in new canister and hoses to fuel tank.

Replaced the canister & now will see how it goes. I used an air compressor to clear the line from the purge solenoid back to the canister (after disconnected) - fast & easy. Also used it on the purge solenoid & adjacent control valve to blow out.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:46 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Attachment 48002272

So I have a related question if you don't mind. The '96 canister was mounted with the line connections at the top & that is how I replaced it. My ZR-1's canister is mounted with the connections at the bottom, basically inverted from the '96. Since it only has 23,000mi, I have no reason to believe this isn't the original. My plan is to mount the replacement in the same manner.

Does this even matter? Is gravity a factor? Thx
Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverfox1
Replaced the canister & now will see how it goes. I used an air compressor to clear the line from the purge solenoid back to the canister (after disconnected) - fast & easy. Also used it on the purge solenoid & adjacent control valve to blow out.
I believe I've always seen it mentioned in the FSM to purge lines with Nitrogen gas. I always assumed that was because it's "dry". Important?

So I have a related question if you don't mind. The '96 canister was mounted with the line connections at the top & that is how I replaced it. My ZR-1's canister is mounted with the connections at the bottom, basically inverted from the '96. Since it only has 23,000mi, I have no reason to believe this isn't the original. My plan is to mount the replacement in the same manner.

Does this even matter? Is gravity a factor? Thx
The canister changed in '96 likely because of OBD2 diagnostics - your ZR-1 placement I believe is correct but it might be interesting to ask regarding both!! My '90 is still up front so I can't help. On the '96 - is there any signs of collision related damage to the rear where it maybe created an issue for replacement of the canister and MAYBE it was mounted upside down? I ain't ever looked or compared!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-28-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:14 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

I believe I've always seen it mentioned in the FSM to purge lines with Nitrogen gas. I always assumed that was because it's "dry". Important?

The canister changed in '96 likely because of OBD2 diagnostics - your ZR-1 placement I believe is correct but it might be interesting to ask regarding both!! My '90 is still up front so I can't help. On the '96 - is there any signs of collision related damage to the rear where it maybe created an issue for replacement of the canister and MAYBE it was mounted upside down? I ain't ever looked or compared!

Well, nitrogen or not, it's done without, so we''ll see what happens. Interesting thought that maybe the '96 s/b like the ZR-1 instead of vice versa. There is no sign of collision anywhere on on '96, it truly is pristine, top to bottom, front to rear. But the canisters are different for sure, possibly due to the OBD1/2 change. I'll see if I can find out more, but for now, I'll just do the ZR-1 like it is.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:10 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

I had the same problem of black carbon clogging up the throttle body from the charcoal canister. I plugged and disconnected the line at the throttle body and ended up cutting the charcoal canister to dump out the charcoal which would allow tank fumes to vent out that opening. But later I figured I could have probably gotten a metal fuel filter that had ports sized that would fit in the rubber line going from the charcoal canister to the solenoid. Didn't really care too much about it to spend a ton of money on replacing the charcoal canister with a new one.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by colter
I had the same problem of black carbon clogging up the throttle body from the charcoal canister. I plugged and disconnected the line at the throttle body and ended up cutting the charcoal canister to dump out the charcoal which would allow tank fumes to vent out that opening. But later I figured I could have probably gotten a metal fuel filter that had ports sized that would fit in the rubber line going from the charcoal canister to the solenoid. Didn't really care too much about it to spend a ton of money on replacing the charcoal canister with a new one.

I guess there are all kinds of variations on how to circumvent the factory system. I'm in Cali & those emissions tests are tough, so not sure if a "mod" will trip the diagnostics, so I'm gonna try w/the new canister. So far, so good - have taken out on 2 runs & all OK...for now.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:02 PM
Sickass72
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess there are all kinds of variations on how to circumvent the factory system. I'm in Cali & those emissions tests are tough, so not sure if a "mod" will trip the diagnostics, so I'm gonna try w/the new canister. So far, so good - have taken out on 2 runs & all OK...for now.

I have a 96 currently and need to replace my charcoal/vapor canister... are they the same things?

thanks!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:27 PM
InfomanSS
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Same things...there is charcoal inside the canister that processes fuel vapors. :-)
Old 02-02-2021, 04:37 PM
Sickass72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by InfomanSS
Same things...there is charcoal inside the canister that processes fuel vapors. :-)

okay perfect. My code was also for 1441, so I bought a new solenoid $15~ and a new canister (roughly $100) and we will see where it takes me now. By chance, if I broke the old crusty rubber lines feeding the solenoid, where do I find new ones?
Old 02-02-2021, 05:52 PM
InfomanSS
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Can just use hose that is rated for fuel. Local parts place should be able to sell it to you by the foot. Get some extra to have around.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:11 PM
Sickass72
Intermediate

Thanks WVZR-1. This was most helpful. I was looking both across & forward of wheel instead of to the rear. R&R went perfectly, now keeping fingers crossed that damn light doesn't come on. I think I will pre-empt similar problems on my '95 ZR-1 & replace as well.

Rob
R&R went perfectly?! How in the hell did you get the canister off. I can’t for the life of me seem to get it loose from its strap. I too, have a 96 lt4
The following users liked this post:
Joetrackside (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 05:10 PM
Joetrackside
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sickass72
R&R went perfectly?! How in the hell did you get the canister off. I can’t for the life of me seem to get it loose from its strap. I too, have a 96 lt4
yes please help I’m under my 96 Grand Sport and can’t figure out how to get the vapor canister to release from it’s strap. How did you guys get it loose from the strap?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:31 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

A few years ago on my 89, I took the throttle body off and found it was packed with what looked like coffee grounds. I ended up figuring out the fuel canister had went bad. I ended up unplugging the line to the throttle body. I also got a piece of round wood to plug the fuel canister line at the throttle body. And I took the fuel canister out, cut it so I could dump out all of the coffee grounds and installed it. And so the fuel fumes I guess leaks out of the fuel canister. I didn't put a fuel filter on as I figured the fuel canister still being there would keep any large things from getting to the line in case of vacuum. Though what size fuel filter fits on that line?
Old 04-14-2021, 11:22 PM
Sickass72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joetrackside
yes please help I’m under my 96 Grand Sport and can’t figure out how to get the vapor canister to release from it’s strap. How did you guys get it loose from the strap?
it is a very interesting clip.. they’re like dirt bike boots.. where they ‘click click click’ in.. if they makes sense.. I actually ended up just pushing my canister (I’m laying on my back, vette is on jackstands) and presses the center of the canister all the way up, out of the strap. It was then how I found out how the strap works. I hope this helps, I’m really bad at trying to explain things without using my hands to talk haha

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Vapor Canister Location

Quick Reply: Fuel Vapor Canister Location