C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shift - Gear number display on dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:46 PM
0Landon0
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shift - Gear number display on dash?

First post here (now my second since I think I posted in the wrong location earlier) and probably my last provided I won't be a corvette owner for much longer :-/... I have a 2008 Corvette 4LT that I'm trying to sell. A gentlemen is interested in the car but says he does not use the HUD and will only purchase it if we figure out how to display the gear number in the dash display. I know that when the paddle shifters are in use, the gear number displays on the HUD but he wants it on the dash... I've explored the options in the car and can not seem to find where to do this. Is this possible? If so, how?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I don't know if what you ask is possible, but I can't imagine why someone would not want to use the HUD.

It's the greatest invention since intermittent wipers.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:02 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

You can do it, but it's a jury rig solution (and requires you to have the built in nav system). The current gear will display in the DIC when it can't be displayed in the HUD. The trick is to have the Nav system think it's displaying it's directions in the HUD, but then pick a HUD display that doesn't show the Nav directions. (it's not as confusing as I'm making it sound!)

I never use the Nav system, so the way I've done it in the past is to program the Nav unit to provide directions to someplace I'll never get to (in my case it's my in-laws house...I only go there in the family car). Then you need to turn off the audio directions in the Nav system (there's a setting for the audio directions volume...I just turn it off...no voice prompts). Then I select a HUD display that doesn't show nav directions (the one's with the tach displayed typically). Then I put the radio or something else on the main nav screen. Basically, programmed the nav to provide directions...but then hide anyplace it can share them with me. Then, voila, the current paddle shifted gear will display in the DIC....always. If you stop the car and then restart later, the Nav will pick up and the paddle shift display will come back to the DIC. Just never get to the location the Nav is programmed to and you've got a solution.

It's not ideal....but it's a work around that I've used effectively on several occasions and I'm pretty much a full time paddle shifter. Beyond that, I don't think there's a permanent setting (at least none that I could ever find).
Old 07-22-2016, 05:23 PM
thedperrys
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Landon0
First post here (now my second since I think I posted in the wrong location earlier) and probably my last provided I won't be a corvette owner for much longer :-/... I have a 2008 Corvette 4LT that I'm trying to sell. A gentlemen is interested in the car but says he does not use the HUD and will only purchase it if we figure out how to display the gear number in the dash display. I know that when the paddle shifters are in use, the gear number displays on the HUD but he wants it on the dash... I've explored the options in the car and can not seem to find where to do this. Is this possible? If so, how?
Really, this is a deal breaker? In my opinion the guy doesn't want to buy your car or any other vette. He wants to yank you around.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:23 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I don't know if what you ask is possible, but I can't imagine why someone would not want to use the HUD.

Not sure about intermittent wipers; I like automatic headlights.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:25 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze

Old 07-22-2016, 05:40 PM
0Landon0
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said the exact same thing to my spouse.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I think your "buyer" is just jerking you around. What kind of nutball makes a thing like that a 'condition of sale'???
Old 07-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I think your "buyer" is just jerking you around. What kind of nutball makes a thing like that a 'condition of sale'???

I sure do miss the HUD when I drive my wife's Equinox.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 PM
ScubachefVette
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default That is a ridiculous condition, find another buyer......

HUD is nothing more than looking through your windshield and seeing additional info thats mostly already on the dash. You dont have to USE it its just there. WHY someone would make that stipulation to buy your car or any other one is senseless. What difference does it make and why cant he use the HUD.Just put it in D and go. This guy is not looking to buy your car.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:32 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I have never had HUD and don't miss it and my gear shows on the DIC. There must be a way to make it display both places.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't care about the HUD, even though I have it. I don't think I've ever used the CC either.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:55 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Seems odd that a buyer would have such a trivial item be the condition which makes the sale. Seems like this should raise concerns about the sincerity of this potential buyer. I would move on.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

Your buyer is not worth your time. The person is asking you to do something and then when that is done he will likely ask you to do another thing. When those are done he will have one more favor and explain he doesn't quite have enough money and will ya knock off some extra cash from the price.

Find someone else.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldnt waste time on that buyer. If he wants that option, he can buy your car and figure out how to add it himself.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cromagnum:
0Landon0 (07-23-2016), RagTop69 (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM
0DashLogic
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Add a DashLogic DashControl and put gear position anywhere you want.

http://www.dashlogic.com/index.php?r...&product_id=68

Last edited by DashLogic; 07-25-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:11 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

The "customer" is just jerking you around. Ignore him.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shift - Gear number display on dash?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

If he is not just jerking you around, then I am not sure why anyone would want the DIC info instead of the HUD. With the HUD it is right in front of you, whereas the DIC requires you to look down to see it. Which means your eyes are not on the road or track.
If he is really wanting the DIC to display the gear selection, then he is going to need to find a non-HUD equipped car.
Now, maybe if the HUD is completely disconnected it might show in the DIC, but I cannot be sure on that.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 909 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by RagTop69
The "customer" is just jerking you around. Ignore him.
I certainly would not go out of my way to appease such a silly request. Thank him for his interest and move on to the next real buyer.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:41 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

This is a good one. The fact that GM decided not to have the gear display shown except in the HUD is one of the GM cluster #$%^S that goes along with the fact that theres no access hole to over ride the "stuck in park situation" when your solenoid goes South. And as far as the HUD being the greatest invention ever ?....Really and PLEASE !!! While the HUD is at least a little more useful than the strictly novel paddle shifters, the HUD is still mainly just a novelty in itself. As a matter of fact....it may even be called dangerous as one can get so caught up in watching their HUD that they don't focus on whats really going on around them.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift - Gear number display on dash?