C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LMC5--Brown wire mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:49 AM
royal flush
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default LMC5--Brown wire mod?

After doing the mod--has anyone still had problems with -pull key-message? Im not having any message after Brown wire install-Also anyone know what this brown wire does to the BCM?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I just did the install myself. the instructions said

"do not insert the capped brown LMC5 brown wire, as it will not be needed in the vast majority of LMC5 installation. The box on page 2 describes an optional feature procedure with this brown wire which can correct some additional BCM irregularities"

This info is in the instructions as a note just below #13 in step #3
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM
caddman11
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I did the mod and didn't cut the brown wire (read the instructions that came with the unit) and the fuel kept shutting off. Cut the brown wire and all is well as I remember.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:42 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Did the lmc5 a few weeks back without the brown wire. The pull key message creeped back and then did it every time I went to start. Luckily I had kept original packaging/instructions and swapped out brown wires then snipped the lmc5 brown wire loop. Everything is perfect.

Last edited by CJ1957; 07-24-2016 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-24-2016, 11:58 AM
royal flush
Racer

From what i have read on this and other forums--alot of lmc5 installs get the pull key sooner or later and have to do the Brown wire mod--no problem as long as the Brown wire works-
Old 07-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,934 Likes on 2,422 Posts

I had to do the brown wire mod. No problems at all since. Lots of starts. These instructions need to be followed to a "T". Call the guy that sells them to know specifics of why it's needed. In general there are variations of electronics and software on the different model and year cars. The kit was designed to address them all. I never had issues and just installed the kit based on strong advice from people here.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 07-24-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:45 PM
royal flush
Racer

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
I just did the install myself. the instructions said

"do not insert the capped brown LMC5 brown wire, as it will not be needed in the vast majority of LMC5 installation. The box on page 2 describes an optional feature procedure with this brown wire which can correct some additional BCM irregularities"

This info is in the instructions as a note just below #13 in step #3
Yes the instructions say ONLY if you start seeing pull key often BUT seems like all these forum members have had to do the brown wire--compilance parts say a small percentage---Not sure about that?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by royal flush
Yes the instructions say ONLY if you start seeing pull key often BUT seems like all these forum members have had to do the brown wire--compilance parts say a small percentage---Not sure about that?
If I remember right, they added the brown wire to cure certain problems that occurred with the old unit. (I've had both)
Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I called Richard about the brown wire mod, he said it has no effect on a version 1 BCM, which is what I have. Version 1 BCMs were used through February or possibly March 1998.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Just what is the "Brown Wire Mod?" I did the LMC5 install years ago and have just recently started getting the "pull key and wait 10 seconds" message. I got out my original installation instruction sheet and can't find anything about a brown wire.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Glasact
Just what is the "Brown Wire Mod?" I did the LMC5 install years ago and have just recently started getting the "pull key and wait 10 seconds" message. I got out my original installation instruction sheet and can't find anything about a brown wire.
The instructions should be on page 2....that back side of the very first page. At the bottom. Before Step One which is on page 3. That is where it is on my instructions. but mine are brand new.
The following users liked this post:
Glasact (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 AM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Some do the Brn wire mod right away anyway I guess as a preventative measure. I did not and advice from Richard (for me anyway) is don't as it can add other variables to the mix. I have gotten a couple Pull Key messages since install but I just wait ten seconds, start again and that's that. For me, not worth cutting/adding more wires and then waiting to see what may happen. I think I have had two in 4 months. Richard seems to always answer if you have questions.....
Old 07-25-2016, 09:53 AM
royal flush
Racer

Originally Posted by Glasact
My guess is you have the first lmc5 that came with out the brown wire and the loop--im sure Richard had alot of complaints about the Pull key message and made another version with the brown wire--Brown wire mod takes care of any messages-
Old 07-25-2016, 10:38 AM
royal flush
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

There have been several different variations of the LMC5 over the years as the developer tried to deal with the often unpredictable nature of the BCM which controls the Column Lock system.

Your variation may well have not had the Brown Wire Option.........

You might want to call Compliance parts and discuss your situation.

http://complianceparts.com/contactus.html
Thx for response--what i dont understand is--seems like almost everyone has trouble with pull key message BUT compilance says a very small percentage and DONT do brown wire unless you see message often--why not just do it all the first time?
Old 07-25-2016, 10:56 AM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
The instructions should be on page 2....that back side of the very first page. At the bottom. Before Step One which is on page 3. That is where it is on my instructions. but mine are brand new.
I will check tonight when I get home, but I don't remember seeing it.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM
royal flush
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

Completely agree with your observations that many seem to have the problem after LMC5 install.

I have been recommending that people that people do the Brown wire mod when you install the LMC5 so you deal with the Column Lock issue once and are done with it rather than having new or continuing symptoms after you install what is supposed to be the "ultimate" fix.....

Seems like "ultimate" if it works for you first time but try again if not...
Thx for the reply--what i dont understand--one forum member on this thread said that Richard said dont do the brown wire because it can cause other problems--ive never heard that before?? Have you or anyone heard any problems after brown wire mod? BTW i insert my key and i turn right away to start--i see no sense in turniong key first to on waiting a few seconds than start car--especially with the brown wire mod done--any ideas on that?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:19 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Thx for the reply--what i dont understand--one forum member on this thread said that Richard said dont do the brown wire because it can cause other problems--ive never heard that before?? Have you or anyone heard any problems after brown wire mod? BTW i insert my key and i turn right away to start--i see no sense in turniong key first to on waiting a few seconds than start car--especially with the brown wire mod done--any ideas on that?
Do you HIT the ground running in the morning or do you like to "wake up"
I believe with all the Modules and sensors, that giving the Controllers a few seconds to "wake up" and do it's thing is just a smart thing to do... some do... some don't... I can't say emphatically if it makes a difference one way or another ... not much empirical evidence to support my theory so it's just a theory... that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Last edited by 73Corvette; 07-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To LMC5--Brown wire mod?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:32 AM
royal flush
Racer

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Do you HIT the ground running in the morning or do you like to "wake up"
I believe with all the Modules and sensors, that giving the Controllers a few seconds to "wake up" and do it's thing is just a smart thing to do... some do... some don't... I can't say emphatically if it makes a difference one way or another ... not much empirical evidence to support my theory so it's just a theory... that's my story and I'm sticking to it
Thx for reply--my question really is--Has anyone ever had any sort of problem after the brown wire mod?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:46 AM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Thx for reply--my question really is--Has anyone ever had any sort of problem after the brown wire mod?
A good question- I would like to know to. I do the two step as noted above. Rather than place the key in and just turn which takes maybe a second or less. I turn the key to on, put on my seatbelt and then start giving the electronics a little time to "boot". I was instructed not to do the brn mod based on my vehicle and the infrequent issues... I guess two good questions then might be:

1. What does the brn mod do exactly? (I believe Richard said it bypasses the relay, for those that have one but there may be other changes).

2. For guys like 8Vette etc have they ever had a Pull Key after the brn mod? Or has anyone as you questioned...

#2 would be good to know...
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM
royal flush
Racer

Another question or concern i have is this_ You replace the dark green wire with lmc5 brown wire--than you cut the brown wire loop in half--which disconnects the loop from anything--Why have the loop to begin with?

Quick Reply: LMC5--Brown wire mod?