C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, a guy pull up to back into a parking spot...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:44 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Default So, a guy pull up to back into a parking spot...

I attempted to take my girlfriend to breakfast this morning in the C6, and I pulled up to backing into a parking spot. When I attempted to shift into reverse, i continued to move forward. It was a good thing I was backing into a spot versus having already pulled in. It seems, my linkage has become disconnected. I have nothing but drive. The shifter feels like it is completely disconnected from anything. I have looked online and through this form, and apparently it could be at the transmission in the rear, or in the center console with a dry rotted bushing.

Suggestions on which end to check first?

Last edited by AL_Jazz; 07-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:47 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

The center console is alot easier to remove than the transmission so based entirely on that logic alone, i would start with the center console.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

This just happened to a friend of mine....he found problem under center console
Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I've read about this so much lately that I'm starting to become paranoid every time I use the shifter now.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I've read about this so much lately that I'm starting to become paranoid every time I use the shifter now.

Same here. Question, is there any point in just replacing the top grommet if doing this as a preventative maintenance item? Seems to me like the bottom grommet will probably break soon if the top is ready to fail.

I will be doing this soon as a preventative move and would have no problem doing the top grommet but would probably have a pro replace the entire cable if both grommets are likely to have a similar life span. What do you all think?

Last edited by HBsurfer; 07-24-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM
snuggy
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

having owned a C5 which I sold to "move" up to a C6 I cant believe the numerous , unnecessary part failures that these cars demonstrate. I have the original window sticker of my fully optioned 2005 vert that cost just under $92,000 CDN and this goes on and on and on!!!!
it truly is labour of love owning these things!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:26 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
I attempted to take my girlfriend to breakfast this morning in the C6, and I pulled up to backing into a parking spot. When I attempted to shift into reverse, i continued to move forward. It was a good thing I was backing into a spot versus having already pulled in. It seems, my linkage has become disconnected. I have nothing but drive. The shifter feels like it is completely disconnected from anything. I have looked online and through this form, and apparently it could be at the transmission in the rear, or in the center console with a dry rotted bushing.

Check the rear first because you can see it from underneath the rear of the car without any disassembly. BUT, it is very more probable that it is the front grommet because of the heat trapped inside the console tunnel. Not many members here have reported rear grommets failing.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had them both go and fixed both. If you can easily jack the car up, check the bottom (rear) one first. If you can't, it's really easy to remove the center console and check under the shifter.

For what it's worth, the top end is a LOT easier to fix.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have purchased the bushings and will replace both during the winter hibernation period. My C6 has over 80K miles on it, and 10 years, so I think it's time for a bit of preventive maintenance on those particular items.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Thanks for the advice and support guys. I was planning on removing the center console to facilitate replacing the cabin carpet. Guess this moves that particular activity up the list of priorities a bit...as in all the way to the top. I will post back as to the cause and pics.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:57 PM
KellyP
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 07-25-2016, 12:52 AM
Bat66
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Check the rear first because you can see it from underneath the rear of the car without any disassembly. BUT, it is very more probable that it is the front grommet because of the heat trapped inside the console tunnel. Not many members here have reported rear grommets failing.

check rear first i've replace both of mine within a year and my as well. mine an 07 his 09.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Be careful putting a new bushing on under the console, because that cable linkage plastic guide shaft is very fragile. I broke mine while installing a new bushing. I lifted the linkage too high, and it snapped.

I just finished installing a whole new shift cable because I wasn't careful.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Be careful putting a new bushing on under the console, because that cable linkage plastic guide shaft is very fragile. I broke mine while installing a new bushing. I lifted the linkage too high, and it snapped.

I just finished installing a whole new shift cable because I wasn't careful.
Thanks for the heads up! I just removed my console, and now looking for a video or pics on where exactly the linkage bushing is located. I found a video on the manual transmission, however, mine is an automatic...
Old 07-25-2016, 10:31 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the heads up! I just removed my console, and now looking for a video or pics on where exactly the linkage bushing is located. I found a video on the manual transmission, however, mine is an automatic...
Remove the four bolts that hold the shifter in place, it's under there.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:03 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Me too!!!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

so...maybe my girlfriend is correct. Just maybe I am a tad bit stubborn. So, all you fine folks said "check the rear first because it is the simplest to check." Well, me in my infinite laziness did not want to go to the storage room to get my floor jack to check the rear. Since most everyone says it is the console bushing that fails most often I proceed to disassemble the interior...only to find the console end is perfectly connected. Now heres hoping I did not lift it too far up and break something just to see all is well under there. Guess tomorrow I will be jacking up the rear and locating that connection point.

Get notified of new replies

To So, a guy pull up to back into a parking spot...

Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

AMEN to that rose. Heck....I've already stopped ever putting it in park when waiting at a drive through......try and park where I can pull straight out of a parking spot as opposed to backing up.....etc....etc. Call it paranoia if you want....but ain't nothing worse than breaking down in a REALLY BAD spot and having to let your ride sit in a really bad place while waiting for a wrecker. Then watching all the people laughing at the poor B@#$%&D with the Corvette that won't work....LOL.....Thanks GM...
Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Well...it was definitely disconnected at the transmission. Looks like I am going to be dropping the exhaust to have enough room to change the bushing. However, I am purchasing a sweet sounding modified NPP exhaust this weekend so I am guessing I can perform both operations at the same time.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:14 PM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Well...it was definitely disconnected at the transmission. Looks like I am going to be dropping the exhaust to have enough room to change the bushing. However, I am purchasing a sweet sounding modified NPP exhaust this weekend so I am guessing I can perform both operations at the same time.

Way to turn a fail into a win!

Quick Reply: So, a guy pull up to back into a parking spot...