C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.6 Roller Rockers: What do I need to know before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:57 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default 1.6 Roller Rockers: What do I need to know before buying?

I'm going to include 1.6 ratio roller rockers in my top-end rebuild slotted for fall or Winter 2017, BUT I figured that I might as well put them on my stock L82 in the meantime and see what they'll do-just for fun.

My forum name says "newb" for a reason as I don't really know what I'm doing so please don't assume any existing knowledge in your replies.

Are there any possible "Gotchas" in doing this that I should be aware of?

I hear great things about Harland Sharp RRs as far as value is concerned so I'm planning on going in this direction. I'm not totally sure whether to go with 1.6 ratio or 1.65 ratio, though.

I also have no idea whether I need to somehow check whether my heads' springs can deal with the added lift or not- is this an issue?

I don't know how to calculate whether the RRs will end up hitting the valve covers either; I heard there's some sort of "spacer" that I can buy- can anyone direct me there?

It's also my understanding that each set of heads will only deal with so much valve lift before the valves hit the piston... -How the heck do I figure out if that's an issue?

Thanks in advance!
Adam
Old 07-24-2016, 03:59 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Oh yea, I guess getting the right "rocker geometry" is probably something that should be talked about- if I'm using the stock L82 heads then the stock L82 pushrods should be a perfect fit and not something that I need to worry about until switching heads, right?

I also remember seeing an article where some RRs are too wide to fit side-by-side with each other and get sort of pushed to the side at a funny angle.... -Anyone know if this is actually an issue or what RR's will and wont' work with the stock L82 heads?

Adam
Old 07-24-2016, 04:04 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

This is what I'm looking at; are these right for a SBC L82? (I think so.)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s1002/overview/

Adam
Old 07-24-2016, 04:12 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Update: Summit said that pretty much all RRs are going to smack the stock valve covers and to use these spacers: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet (Which seem like SUCH A RIP-OFF for little aluminum rectangles and $109.)

Adam
Old 07-24-2016, 04:18 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

The Harland Sharp RRs are aluminum; I'm looking for parts that are going to be long-lasting; should I avoid aluminum? (I've heard mixed things...)

Adam
Old 07-24-2016, 04:25 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

It is true that full roller rockers will not fit under your stock valve covers. Comp's 1.6 roller tip rockers will fit, but they are not full rollers.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:37 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I appologize in advance for the rapid-fire posts, but clearly I need the help..

I found a used SBC GEN1 valve cover spacer used on CL but it's 1.5". The one I was directed to by Summit was only 1.15" tall; given the tight hood clearances on these C3s; is raising the valve covers by 1.5" likely to create either hood clearance issues or issues hitting the stock air cleaner snorkel?

Does using a spacer necessitate buying 2 sets of valve cover gaskets? (I assume so.)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 07-24-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:35 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I have HS full roller rockers and they fit fine under both my steel and LT-1 covers. They've been there for a good 20 years now.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I would not waste my time to get such a minor lift gain. Then you have older weak springs that have decreased pressure. Valve float is very destructive. I have a spring pressure tester and I check my springs periodically. I buy new springs quite often

Why not just buy tall valve covers and get it over with. Also if you are going with new heads and a roller cam forget wimpy 3/8th studs. They bend and flex.

7/16th is substantially stronger stud. Why not buy quality rocker arms for just a dollar more each?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...5-16/overview/
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:04 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

You don't need 1.6 rocker arms. Just buy the cam with the lift you want.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull

Why not just buy tall valve covers and get it over with. Also if you are going with new heads and a roller cam forget wimpy 3/8th studs. They bend and flex.

7/16th is substantially stronger stud. Why not buy quality rocker arms for just a dollar more each?

Your stock heads have a 3/8" pressed stud. After market heads are threaded and you can use either a 3/8" or 7/16" stud. With 1.6 rockers and any decent lift the much stronger 7/16 is highly recommended. If you bought rockers now for your stock heads, they will not fit later if you smartly go to a 7/16 stud.

And I 100% agree with the Comp Ultra Pro Magnums. If you go check out ebay, there a re a few vendors that are selling them under the $300 mark, the same as the HS price you posted from summit.
NewbVetteGuy (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:38 PM
caryb78
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1.6 rockers

I installed 1.6 Comp roller rockers when I installed alum. heads. Used the original push rods since they gave me the best pattern on the valve stem. Just put some white grease or dykem on the valve stem, set the rocker clearance and run the the valve through the entire cycle then loosen the rocker and look at the stem it will show the roller travel pattern, it should be centered on the stem or close to it as long as it doesnt run to the edge. If it does need diff. push rod length. I did change covers.

Last edited by caryb78; 07-24-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:00 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I have an extra set of moroso valve covers that my crane roller rockers and stud girdles fit under. chrome, PM if you're interested
Old 07-24-2016, 11:27 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I would not waste my time to get such a minor lift gain.
My thought was that I should buy roller rockers anyway to reduce temps, guide wear, friction, and because I heard that if I go with a high lift cam that roller rockers are particularly useful at limiting friction and keeping valve geometry where it should be. -So my thought was if I'm already buying 1.5 ratio RRs and 1.6 ratio RRs cost the same, why not get a little bit more lift for "free"? Is there something wrong with this line of thinking?

Then you have older weak springs that have decreased pressure. Valve float is very destructive. I have a spring pressure tester and I check my springs periodically. I buy new springs quite often
Wow; because I had no idea. Is spring wear a function of RPM and time or age? (Because if it's RPM*Time, then the car's been babied and has only 14.9k miles on it.)

Why not just buy tall valve covers and get it over with.
I probably should just do that. I like the bling of chrome but the weight savings at the top of the engine of aluminum; and I don't know how to tell what dimensions will clear the RRs...

Also if you are going with new heads and a roller cam forget wimpy 3/8th studs. They bend and flex.

I didn't even know you could switch stud size... I thought that because my engine came with 3/8th, I was stuck with 3/8th forever...

I don't understand what you mean by "buy quality rocker arms for just a dollar more".... Are the Harland Sharp's not quality?
-I'm going to go click on your link now; I'm guessing that you're saying "why not buy hardened steel rocker arms for a dollar vs. aluminum ones", but I'll see either way in a minute...

[Edit] I was right about that and am feeling pretty good that my own research had listed the Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnums as the current quality/longevity leader (I'm a newb but I can read and do research, at least.). I'm going to wait for a few more opinions on what constitutes quality. (From what I've seen, some of your engines may cost more than my whole car is worth and I'm guessing that your definition of "quality" is an exceptionally high bar that will make my wallet cry. --No offense; I'm just looking for more opinions because although my total budget for my car is roughly equivalent to what I think it's worth; it's a very "hard" budget that my wife will be holding me to and I need to make fully-informed and intelligent decisions to end up with the car that I want to end up with and not have any major regrets.)

I also want to add that my heads continue to show improved airflow all the way to a 0.700" lift (Profilers(minor increases on intake side but meaningful on the exhaust side, anway)) so I thought the extra lift would actually help as I don't think I've EVER seen a cam lobe go that high.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 07-25-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:33 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I have an extra set of moroso valve covers that my crane roller rockers and stud girdles fit under. chrome, PM if you're interested
I haven't even figured out what a stud girdle does yet... so probably a bit early for me to buy one.

Adam
Old 07-24-2016, 11:37 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

You probably don't need to think about stud girdles, all I'm saying is I have an extra set of valve covers that will clear the roller rockers.

Now that I think about it someone drilled some small holes in them to mount some stuff so they might not even be worth anything to you.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:38 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r

Your stock heads have a 3/8" pressed stud. After market heads are threaded and you can use either a 3/8" or 7/16" stud. With 1.6 rockers and any decent lift the much stronger 7/16 is highly recommended. If you bought rockers now for your stock heads, they will not fit later if you smartly go to a 7/16 stud.

And I 100% agree with the Comp Ultra Pro Magnums. If you go check out ebay, there a re a few vendors that are selling them under the $300 mark, the same as the HS price you posted from summit.
So I will HAVE TO buy threaded studs with my aftermarket Profiler (technically ATK) heads? @#$@#% these costs keep adding up FAST...

Comp Ultra Pro Magnums have really high resale value; I've been able to find them for $250, but Harland Sharps I can find for $150 all over the place. It's hard for me to understand on what items it makes sense to spend the extra $$ and when I'm better off saving my pennies for something else, still.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To 1.6 Roller Rockers: What do I need to know before buying?

Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
It is true that full roller rockers will not fit under your stock valve covers. Comp's 1.6 roller tip rockers will fit, but they are not full rollers.
Please explain?

Thx.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
So I will HAVE TO buy threaded studs with my aftermarket Profiler (technically ATK) heads? @#$@#% these costs keep adding up FAST...

Comp Ultra Pro Magnums have really high resale value; I've been able to find them for $250, but Harland Sharps I can find for $150 all over the place. It's hard for me to understand on what items it makes sense to spend the extra $$ and when I'm better off saving my pennies for something else, still.

Adam
You'll have to ask ATK if they come with studs, but if not top of the line ARP studs are like $45 a set.

..as far as the rockers, you'll get mixed opinions I assume. Supposedly aluminum rockers make for a lighter valvetrain, however I've heard from some pretty high end engine builders that the weight of a rocker makes no difference. Aluminum will wear and fatique quicker then the chromoly steel Ultra Pro Magnums. From your prior threads, building a motor to last for the life of the car, it may be a benefit to you to go with the steel. They are rebuildable as well. I'm sure you'll also hear from guys that have ran aluminum for a very long time too though.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:38 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Please explain?

Thx.
Roller "tipped" rockers are still a ball style fulcrum like a stock rocker arm, but with a wheel at the tip where it contacts the valve. however it is said the tip really isn't the point that makes the difference, reduces friction, or frees horsepower. It is the fulcrum.

A "full" roller rocker has both the wheeled tip and also "rolls" over a shaft at the fulcrum.
jim-81 (07-25-2016)

Quick Reply: 1.6 Roller Rockers: What do I need to know before buying?