C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed out shifter and now C6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Lori New
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed out shifter and now C6 won't start

I changed out the shifter on my C6. Now it won't start. Message said "shift to park" when I try to start it. Ended up disconnecting battery so it wouldn't run down over night.
This morning hooked battery back up and tried to start it, wouldn't start. That message is gone, and I can shift to all gears, but it won't start.
I have lights and radio, but just won't start.
Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:40 PM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

You sifter linkage might be out of adjustment. I had the same thing happen when chnaging out my exhaust.

Originally Posted by Lori New
I changed out the shifter on my C6. Now it won't start. Message said "shift to park" when I try to start it. Ended up disconnecting battery so it wouldn't run down over night.
This morning hooked battery back up and tried to start it, wouldn't start. That message is gone, and I can shift to all gears, but it won't start.
I have lights and radio, but just won't start.
Any ideas?

Last edited by GS057; 07-24-2016 at 07:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lori New (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Auto trans,

If so, then check the switch on the front of the shifter assembly that the shaft will bump closed when you are shift to part.

Here is baby, and so make sure that the shifter is pushing it's arm iforward, and that it making a continuity connection, and it plugged in.
Hence on a used one, some times you have to bend the arm a little more open, so when the shifter is shifted to park, it activating the switch. If the switch is really old, then you may have to pull it apart to clean it contact points isntead.

As for the car to start, the park switch has to be pressed in so it sending continuity through it, and your foot needs to be on the brake pedal to activate that switch as well.

As for the brake pedal position switch, it has no a manual adjustments , but is calibrated for the pedal position when the switch is installed to the car isntead (read takes a Tech II tool to calibrate the brake pedal switch).

Last edited by Dano523; 07-24-2016 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lori New (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Lori New
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dano523
Auto trans,

If so, then check the switch on the front of the shifter assembly that the shaft will bump closed when you are shift to part.

Here is baby, and so make sure that the shifter is pushing it's arm iforward, and that it making a continuity connection, and it plugged in.
Hence on a used one, some times you have to bend the arm a little more open, so when the shifter is shifted to park, it activating the switch. If the switch is really old, then you may have to pull it apart to clean it contact points isntead.

As for the car to start, the park switch has to be pressed in so it sending continuity through it, and your foot needs to be on the brake pedal to activate that switch as well.

As for the brake pedal position switch, it has no a manual adjustments , but is calibrated for the pedal position when the switch is installed to the car isntead (read takes a Tech II tool to calibrate the brake pedal switch).
Thanks Dano,
I appreciate the quick response. It was a brand new unit from the chevy dealer, thought it was plug and play. Still says shift to park and will not start.
Any other ideas?
Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

If you are in park, then the car is telling you to shift to park still, then either the park switch is bad, you forget to plug the connector in, or there is bad wiring between the switch and its main connector.

Just disconnect the main harness connector, and with the shifter in park, check the park switch wires connector pin to make sure you have continuity through them. If you don't, then push the park switch arm forward more, and see if that solves the problem of not having continuity. If still not continuity through the connector pins, then bad wiring or bad switch.

Hence that park switch, is the only thing telling the ECM if the shifter is in park or not!!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It's also possible the button on top of the shift **** is not springing back up all the way after you push it in to move the shifter. If that happens it will think your not in park. I had it happen when I switched shift *****.

Last edited by EVRose; 07-24-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:50 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Its not just the shifter that needs to see it is in Park. Transmission needs to be in Park or Neutral itself.I'm betting when you changed the shifter you pulled up too far on the shift cable when disconnecting it from the shifter. You either broke the cable at the fwd bracket or its been pulled out of rig.
Disconnect cable from the shifter again. then Get under the car and rotate the shift arm on the trans all the way aft(count the detents as you rotate the arm) verifing the trans is in Park.
then with electronics only connect to the shifter see if itll start.

Its common for the cable to break when changing the sshifter. search other threads in this section on it
Old 07-25-2016, 08:01 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Its not just the shifter that needs to see it is in Park. Transmission needs to be in Park or Neutral itself.I'm betting when you changed the shifter you pulled up too far on the shift cable when disconnecting it from the shifter. You either broke the cable at the fwd bracket or its been pulled out of rig.
Disconnect cable from the shifter again. then Get under the car and rotate the shift arm on the trans all the way aft(count the detents as you rotate the arm) verifing the trans is in Park.
then with electronics only connect to the shifter see if itll start.

Its common for the cable to break when changing the sshifter. search other threads in this section on it
Very good advice. The shift position at the center console must match the shift position at the tranny. So, even if you shift it into park and the "shift to park" message goes away, and it still won't start, is because it is not really in park at the tranny end. Also, your battery may be weak.

I just finished installing a new shift cable in my 05. I accidentally broke the old one while replacing the bushing/grommet. I lifted the cable linkage too high and it snapped.

PM me if you need help and I will try to walk you through it over the phone.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:28 AM
VetteTheGhost
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Very good advice. The shift position at the center console must match the shift position at the tranny. So, even if you shift it into park and the "shift to park" message goes away, and it still won't start, is because it is not really in park at the tranny end. Also, your battery may be weak.

I just finished installing a new shift cable in my 05. I accidentally broke the old one while replacing the bushing/grommet. I lifted the cable linkage too high and it snapped.

PM me if you need help and I will try to walk you through it over the phone.
Man I need help I also broke my cable trying to replace a bushing I got the new cable yesterday took out the old one it needed to be changed regardless it was old I successfully installed it everything was working fine manually shifted it I did it right but my car won't start my shifter is stuck in neutral and drive and it keeps saying shift to park

Last edited by VetteTheGhost; 08-17-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:54 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteTheGhost
Man I need help I also broke my cable trying to replace a bushing I got the new cable yesterday took out the old one it needed to be changed regardless it was old I successfully installed it everything was working fine manually shifted it I did it right but my car won't start my shifter is stuck in neutral and drive and it keeps saying shift to park
I will help you, P.M. sent.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Tuna Goat
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

reviving an old thread....Basic issue is no start .. Have an 08 a6.. just swaped out the tranny.. During the swap my room mate wanted to help and at one point i had him put it in neutral.. I herd a few load bangs and welp he forced the shifter to move.. Got in the car when done and was stuck in N-D.. Search function helped out huge.. Pulled out the shifter breaking the cable but thats another issue lol.. Pulled back on the lock out tab and boom shifter operated as intended... Hooked it back up to the car without the cable(trans is in park)...Press break and solenoid unlocks shifter. Press start and solenoid locks shifter in park.. That seems great.. just need a cable but... it didn't start

Sorry its a ramble but frustrated right now

edit also did do post 3

Last edited by Tuna Goat; 07-15-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Changed out shifter and now C6 won't start

Quick Reply: Changed out shifter and now C6 won't start