C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear ended today. Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Got rear ended today. Looking for advice

Hello all,

I've had my C6 for 2 weeks and I already got rear ended. The guy was using his phone (of course) while driving and was not paying attention. . I did end up calling the police so I could get a report written up to exchange information. I was hoping the guy would get a ticket at the very least. The cop didn't write a police report because the damage was so minor. I hope this doesn't end up being a problem. He just gave me an "Exchange of Info" form.

We both have the same insurance company so I am not sure how this will affect my rates. I am really hoping that my insurance will not go up. Is there any chance of this? I did call my insurance company and filed a claim. The guy was pretty sketchy and wanted to offer me "a couple bucks" rather than getting police/insurance involved because the damage was minor. I refused of course because there could also be some damage behind the bumper. Did I do the right thing here? I am worried about how this will affect my cars resale value down the line since an accident will be reported.

I did do some research on the forums regarding accidents and many mention diminished value claims. Is this something I should look into? I am not sure if I will get anything based off pictures alone because they look so minor.

The immediate visual damage isn't too bad. I have several small scratches around the license plate area on both sides (Hard to get in pictures). The frame for the license plate is also bent. The reverse light housings also popped out and I can't seem to secure them nicely without them popping out again with some pressure at the bottom. The exhaust filler panel also got knocked loose and I cannot tell if the diffuser is bent/damaged or the exhaust filler panel itself is bent. Can't tell if the exhaust was damaged at all just yet.

I would like to get the bumper repainted at the very least. I feel like I should just get the entire bumper and diffuser replaced if I am going to have to deal with having an accident on the CarFax anyways. What do you guys think?

Lastly, I did make a separate post in Paint/Body but it would be great if someone could recommend some great repair shops in the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area.

Thanks guys! Appreciate any input

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-25-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

No, your insurance rates will not go up since it was his fault. And the damage is so minor that I can't see it having an effect on resale value down the line. But of course you want it fixed properly, and it'll cost more than "a couple of bucks" to do that.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Hey RocketDawg,

That is exactly what I was thinking regarding the rates. I was thinking the rates wouldn't go up because the other insurance company would be paying up, but I wasn't sure how it worked when both drivers have the same insurance company.

I also agree that the damage is definitely very minor. My only concern was seeing the car being flagged as having an "Accident" on CarFax. I don't believe CarFax reports the severity of an accident. This minor accident could look just as bad on a report as a major accident involving the replacement of several body panels.

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-24-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:12 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

If you report it to your insurance your resale value will definitely be affected. Anyone who does a carfax report will see it. Dealerships, if you trade it down the line, will most certainly see it and use that for leverage in giving you less than you want. Minimal damage. I would have eaten it without calling the police or insurance. Oh well. You did what you thought was right. Glad it wasn't worse and you're okay.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:13 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
No, your insurance rates will not go up since it was his fault. And the damage is so minor that I can't see it having an effect on resale value down the line. But of course you want it fixed properly, and it'll cost more than "a couple of bucks" to do that.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by USA1 427
If you report it to your insurance your resale value will definitely be affected. Anyone who does a carfax report will see it. Dealerships, if you trade it down the line, will most certainly see it and use that for leverage in giving you less than you want. Minimal damage. I would have eaten it without calling the police or insurance. Oh well. You did what you thought was right. Glad it wasn't worse and you're okay.
Thanks for your input. Figured this would be the case and it's definitely disappointing since its such a minor accident. I didn't want to take the risk of the fix potentially costing thousands of dollars. Do you think I would be able to get anything with a diminished value claim?

Last edited by Frankie15; 07-24-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:32 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Not all insurance companies report to Carfax. Not all body shops report to Carfax.

No law says either have to report to them.

I have six accidents (none my fault) put through GEICO, State Farm, Allstate, and USAA, on my C6s. Both have clean Carfax reports.

Conversely, you can't trust a clean Carfax to tell you diddly squat when looking at a car to purchase.

Last edited by owc6; 07-24-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:32 PM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Call your insurance company and cancel the claim if nothing is claimed it shouldn't show up on car fax...I got rear ended 2 weeks after I got my benz in 2013 nothing major just a few scratches I buffed out due to not wanting a car fax blemish. Most people are unaware 60%+ of the cars on the road have had something repainted but perception is everything and people trust car fax even though they do not buy or sell cars. This minor accident if u claim it will reduce your value roughly $1500-$2500.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

You can always get it appraised and hit the assclown for diminished value and get his insurance to pay up.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:39 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

I think you did the right thing. My Lexus was rear ended and it looked minor, just like your Corvette. It was not minor however after the body shop got behind the bumper. I think you'll be glad you reported it.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 AM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Hello all,

I've had my C6 for 2 weeks and I already got rear ended. The guy was using his phone (of course) while driving and was not paying attention. . I did end up calling the police so I could get a report written up to exchange information. I was hoping the guy would get a ticket at the very least.

We both have the same insurance company so I am not sure how this will affect my rates. I am really hoping that my insurance will not go up. Is there any chance of this? I did call my insurance company and filed a claim. The guy was pretty sketchy and wanted to offer me "a couple bucks" rather than getting police/insurance involved because the damage was minor. I refused of course because there could also be some damage behind the bumper. Did I do the right thing here? I am worried about how this will affect my cars resale value down the line since an accident will be reported.

I did do some research on the forums regarding accidents and many mention diminished value claims. Is this something I should look into? I am not sure if I will get anything based off pictures alone because they look so minor.

The immediate visual damage isn't too bad. I have several small scratches around the license plate area on both sides (Hard to get in pictures). The frame for the license plate is also bent. The reverse light housings also popped out and I can't seem to secure them nicely without them popping out again with some pressure at the bottom. The exhaust filler panel also got knocked loose and I cannot tell if the diffuser is bent/damaged or the exhaust filler panel itself is bent. Can't tell if the exhaust was damaged at all just yet.

I would like to get the bumper repainted at the very least. I feel like I should just get the entire bumper and diffuser replaced if I am going to have to deal with having an accident on the CarFax anyways. What do you guys think?

Lastly, I did make a separate post in Paint/Body but it would be great if someone could recommend some great repair shops in the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area.

Thanks guys! Appreciate any input

TBH **** happens and I kinda think it was a dick move to go straight to insurance you could of talked to him and told him it would be more then a few bucks and dude that is so minor not even funny definitely no frame damage maybe he broke the styrofoam in the bumper but yeah you never know you might do what he did hope it doesn't but you're fine and no.... He hit you why the hell will you're insurance go up you're ok man
Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

The rear bumper cover is really flimsy and until you get that off to see the rear damage under the cover to the actual fender and chassis, your not going to know the extent of the damage.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:41 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I'm glad you went thru your ins company and called the cops. One of my cars the cops asked if I wanted to file a report and the person that hit me was also on the phone he told the cops he would pay me($750) so I said ok. I was stopped at a light . I did not hear from him so I reported it to his insurance co. A day later his company called me and said their client stated that I backed up into him on a two lane road at a red light. I paid the repair myself as he was a dirtbag. Take a lot of pics and it you ever sell the car and was reported to carfax you can show the person questioning, the pictures. I would never trust anyone stating they will pay you. The cop on the scene gave me a lousy police report and did not state he hit me. He just said both drivers to settle on their own. I went to the police station to try and talk to the cop. I left him messages spoke to his superior. He never called me back. Lesson learned. I just hope karma gets him and the cop.Your insurance will not go up

Last edited by enventr; 07-25-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

You did the right thing. You need to report it to your insurance if you want to make sure it is fixed, you filed the accident report as your insurance would want so they have the facts. See the post below if you need a good reason. Happens all the time.

Keep all your paper work, especially what was done to fix it. If it has to be painted make sure it matches and don't settle for a poor job. If it is minor the paperwork on the fix will show that if it becomes an issue.

It's hard to believe some of the answers here. It's like some of these people would like to be lied to if they were buying the car later and asked if there were any problems with it that didn't show up. And they would probably be the first to holler they got screwed because someone lied to them about the car they bought. Even if the damage was so minor they could not find it.

Sounds pretty minor but till you have it looked at you just don't know. Good luck, no sense worrying about the future value till you get all the facts. And you just have to work with what you have when you go to sell it.

If you can get some diminished value that would be great, but unless the insurance company would agree to it you would probably have to get a lawyer to pursue it.

JMO

Last edited by NOWUCME; 07-25-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:14 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

I agree... you absolutely did the right thing by getting an accident report and filing with your insurance.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:04 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

OP, You did right by notifying the police. Whether he gets a ticket or not is irrelevant. It shows proof of fault. Fortunately you have the same insurance company. My 13 GS was backed into in a parking lot back in May on the right front corner. The only part that was damaged was the fender to bumper cover support bracket, a $10.00 piece. The repaint of the bumper cover was $1,000.00. The disassembly and reassembly was more than 6 hours. Looking at the pictures, the metal impact bar is probably caved in. Good Luck.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Thanks for your input everyone. Do you think I will have any issues with insurance if no police report was filed? There is no proof that it was his fault since there is no police report. I am a little worried after the story from enventr. Really hope this doesn't come back to be a problem. The cop said he didn't file one since there wasn't much visual damage. I wish I insisted.

Get notified of new replies

To Got rear ended today. Looking for advice

Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
The rear bumper cover is really flimsy and until you get that off to see the rear damage under the cover to the actual fender and chassis, your not going to know the extent of the damage.
Dano is correct. Having owned a body shop, you will not know the extent until the rear bumper is removed and everything is checked. Definitely did right by filing the insurance report and always get a police incident report. In Alabama anything over $250 in damage requires a filing. Get it checked out by a reputable shop. Even if they do a base estimate without removing the bumper it will open a claim and get repair approval. Once they remove the bumper to be repainted, any additional damage can be filed under a supplemental on the original estimate.

As others have said, keep all pictures. A good body shop should also have pictures once the rear cover is removed. This will help you when you go to resale the vehicle. I still rebuild a few salvage vehicles a year (mostly for me, my friends, and my family) and I always supply before and during rebuild pics so there is nothing perceived to be hidden.

You did right...and covering your assets when someone else is at fault is not a "dick move."
Old 07-25-2016, 10:44 AM
--Z06--
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts

Sue for any diminished value of the car.

F'ing asshats driving around texting... Makes me furious.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by --Z06--
F'ing asshats driving around texting... Makes me furious.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today. Looking for advice