Sponsored by:

Newbie, in need of some buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:25 AM
mjfrank
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Newbie, in need of some buying advice

Hi all, I've been a member of the forum for while, but have been in the C3 boards while trying to find a decent C3. Well I've pretty much had my fill on that futile two-year search, and have decided that a C5 would really fit my needs a whole lot better. (my wife is overjoyed, she doesn't like the C3s anyways)

I've been casually looking for a couple of weeks now, and over the weekend finally took one for a test drive. Sunny Saturday morning, top down, 48th birthday, wife by my side, you get the idea, so now I'm really in love and have to find one of my own.

The car I drove was a 2000 vert, auto, many options including selective ride control, 67K miles, very nice paint and interior, and new tires. The car drove well, no odd noises, good power, no codes or indicator lights on. It was at a dealer, they just got it in on trade and are asking 17.5K . The negative on the car, is that the previous owner had hand controls installed. The dealer removed them, but the trim panel under the steering wheel was notched at the top and a metal bracket and some internal plastic dash panel had been removed and was in the trunk. The other part of the hand controls required a block off plate be installed in front of the pedals, so there are small holes through the carpet and floor pan. It's actually not much damage, and I assume the trim panel could be replaced, the only part that really bothered me was the holes through the floor pan.

I really liked the car, but I'm thinking I only want it if I can get a really good deal. Not that the car doesn't warrant a decent price, but the slight damage, and that I was really hoping for something 2001 and newer with a bit less miles and a 6-speed manual, don't put it at the top of my list. What kind of offer would you make a dealer on this car, I'm thinking 14.5K-15K? I don't think they have much money in it, so they may jump at a quick sale, but who knows. I'm not emotionally involved with this one yet, so I could easily walk away since there are other cars out there, just thought this was a pretty nice one.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!
--Mike
Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 AM
not2old
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mjfrank

I was really hoping for something 2001 and newer with a bit less miles and a 6-speed manual, don't put it at the top of my list.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!
--Mike
Then find a '01+ 6spd. They're out there and you won't have to spend 2 years to find one. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by not2old; 07-25-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: missed bracket
Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 AM
mjfrank
Advanced

Originally Posted by not2old
Then find a '01+ 6spd. They're out there and you won't have to spend 2 years to find one. Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the reply. I've actually found one that fits both, 2001, 6spd, vert 66K miles but it was in much worse shape, mostly minor damage to the paint and a fender lip, average interior, with dry-rotted tires, for 17.9K. It definitely wasn't as well cared for as the 2000. I do plan to keep looking, but if I could get something for a little less money, I could be happy with that too.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:44 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Must reading for anyone thinking of buying a C5:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html
Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 AM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Been thinking about selling my '04 black on black because I don't drive it much anymore because of the divorce. Too many memories. Fully optioned with both tops and Z51. Pm me for more details if you are interested.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:48 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Be patient. Find the car that you really want and make the best deal you can on it. Don't let a few hundred bucks make you pass up the perfect car. There are lots of 01 and newer 6M verts, don't be afraid to travel a bit for the right car. Learn how to pull the codes and do it before your test drive, clear them and take the drive, check them again when you return before you shut the car down. Go with your gut.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:31 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Hi! I'm a previous C3 owner ('71 454 4spd), and while I loved that car, and should have kept it, I feel my C5 is such a better car. First thing, read the stickies at the top of this page, a lot of great and pertinent info for the new or aspiring owner. Next, and I'm speaking for me, not trying to start an argument or discussion with anyone, never buy a car with issues or problems or highly modified cars. Decide exactly what you want in your C5 and then look for that particular car, stick to your guns. I can pretty much assure you that whatever you are looking for, its out there, and available in a very fussed over and meticulously maintained condition. There is just no reason to buy a problem or iffy C5. Lots of C5 owners are incredibly **** about their cars and those are the ones you want. When you find a likely candidate, make sure you perform your due diligence in the form of accident history (none!), maintenance history, thorough end to end inspection (before you buy!) by a good C5 tech/shop (not theirs). Unless you just luck out, getting just what you want and in the condition you want (minty!) may require some traveling. By being open to travel you expand your possible candidate pool, well worth the time in my opinion. Once you find a possible purchase, post the specifics on this forum and I'm sure members will help you out with opinions and such. Good luck to you, be patient, get what you want. Remember, the hunt is half the fun!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

All great advice - be patient and find just the right car for you. There are plenty of C5s for sale and even if you have to travel a bit for the right one, it will be worth not in the long run. If you want a 6 speed car, then concentrate on those.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Take ur time and do some extensive searching. The 04's are now 12 years old so to find one in mint condition is a bit harder but they are out there. Seems to me u can be happy with an auto or 6spd so if thats the case then it should make ur car search a bit easier. If u really want a 6spd, then go for that. I have 98 A4 with Chuck Cow tune, car drives totally different compared to stock. The trans tune itself really made the car much more enjoyable to drive. So if u get auto id recommend contacting Chuck Cow for a tune.

Last edited by garline14; 07-25-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

As a data point I bought my '03 Anniversary (special? paint and interior/options pkg) Vert with auto trans last Oct. for $13.5K Had 87K miles. Probably overpaid by a bit given the mileage, but good maintenance history two owner car. Long time first owner, couple year second owner. New tires.

I think the vert you drove is very overpriced. One owner is good and the hand controls probably? mean the car was not beat on and your descriptions tends to bear this out. I wouldn't offer over the $13.5 I paid for my car, the dealer will laugh at you, they will just wait for somebody to as you say, fall in love, and pay their price.

Just keep looking. As suggested if exercising your left leg, 6M trans, is your desire then focus on them. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Welcome to the C5 world! Keep reading and researching and expand your search....plenty of great C5's out there. Use this forum, craiglist, ebay, autotrader.....etc. Take your time and wait for the right vette for you to come along.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 PM
caddman11
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep looking, you should be able to find a good 01+ with under 50,000 for less money than what they're asking. Broaden your search---plane fights are cheap and usually the seller will pick you up at the airport. Before I bought the one I did, I was going to buy from a dealer in St. Charles, down by you. They had no problems picking me up at the airport and the flight from Chicago was less than $100.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:50 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Three years ago I bought this 2001 with 75000 on it for $15K. They are definitely out there - you will find the pricing more of a buyers advantage if you wait until the weather starts changing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2016, 10:09 PM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Take your time in your search. My 74' took me a year to find and I must have looked at 20 plus cars in that time. This spring I started looking for a 01+ 6 speed convertible or an 02-04' Z06. The key I found is you have to be ready to jump on a good deal no matter how fair away from you. I ended up buying an 02' Z06 with 10k miles within my budget. It went up for sale early on a Friday, I had a friend in the area go check it out and I bought it Saturday morning. This forum is an amazing tool. If you need someone to check out a car a distance away you can find someone here most of the time. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:16 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
All great advice - be patient and find just the right car for you. There are plenty of C5s for sale and even if you have to travel a bit for the right one, it will be worth not in the long run. If you want a 6 speed car, then concentrate on those.
as usual I agree with Jack. They ARE out there. I got my second c5 in March. I looked for awhile, was getting discouraged, then came across 2 Craigslist ads...one of which is now mine. There's always another one.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 PM
mjfrank
Advanced

Thanks everyone, the advice really helps me figure out where I want to be on pricing, as I was sort of lost on that before. Everything seems to be pretty overpriced right now, like 22k+, so when a 17K car with a clean title comes along, it looks like a bargain.

I probably should have stated what I was looking for to begin with, rather than making you guess. I'm hoping to find a 2001+ convertible, prefer 6-spd but not ruling out an auto, trying to stay as far under $20K as possible while still getting a really nice car. This car will be my weekend fun car, and occasional nice day drive-to-work car when I'm tired of driving the SUV. I'm 48, with one kid in college and one still in high school, so like most my age, I have minimal free time, and I'd like a car to just jump in and go have fun, rather than wrench on constantly. I'm not opposed to or incapable of working on cars, but not constantly. I do understand that I'd probably get a better price this fall, as the nice weather disappears, but the truth is I'm okay with spending a little bit more now to have a car to enjoy for what's left of the summer.

In case you are curious, here are the two cars I've looked at already.
The 2000:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...34623622&Log=0

The 2001:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...26710367&Log=0

Hoping to maybe check out a few private sellers soon.

Thanks again!
--Mike
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Hello! Forgot to mention it above but one of my favorite sites for just keeping up with whats out there and for how much nationwide is "cargurus.com". Lots of listings from private and dealer, nationwide. Plug in corvette, the year span, color, trans type, coupe, vert, mileage range, price range, well you get the idea. Hit the search button after entering and the site will display a plethora of C5's from all over. Always interesting perusing for new toys! Best wishes and good luck!

Last edited by friou; 07-26-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie, in need of some buying advice

Quick Reply: Newbie, in need of some buying advice