C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car detailer or paint correction

Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 AM
advancivic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Car detailer or paint correction

So I just recently bought my red c6
it only has 20k miles and it's a 2010.
I want to have it detailed where the paint
just shines and no swirls or scratches or mistakes and smooth paint etc......

So my question is what should I ask the detailer to
do just a buff and wax or what should I be asking for?
What should be included and roughly what should I be looking at?
$100-300 $300-600 or $600-1000?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:33 AM
Adelleda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car! You should be asking for s paint correction if you're looking to get rid of the swirls and scratches in the clear. I have an 09 that I bought a year ago, low mile car but you can tell the paint was never really cared for. Just got a full paint correction done, paid 600 bucks. Car looks better than new, now it just needs maintained.

I'm under the impression I got a good deal on the work that was done. I've seen people pay 800-1000 for it done right. Just make sure if you're looking for the cheapest deal, make sure they still do good work. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:18 AM
advancivic
Racer

What should they be including in a paint correction
Old 07-25-2016, 07:04 AM
pyrodav
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by advancivic
What should they be including in a paint correction
You should check out the car care forum. More important is what you need to do to maintain the correction. Two bucket wash with the proper mitts and grit guards, proper microfiber towels to dry...etc. Before you pay for a correction make sure you are ready to maintain it.

Last edited by pyrodav; 07-25-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I paid $500.00 for paint correction in OKC.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Where do you live? Detailing prices vary depending on location.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Go to www.autopia.org and look for someone in you area. I would not let the dealer touch the car if you are looking for perfection.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM
advancivic
Racer

Originally Posted by pyrodav
You should check out the car care forum. More important is what you need to do to maintain the correction. Two bucket wash with the proper mitts and grit guards, proper microfiber towels to dry...etc. Before you pay for a correction make sure you are ready to maintain it.
I'd be letting who ever does the correction continue to wash the car

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I paid $500.00 for paint correction in OKC.
Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Where do you live? Detailing prices vary depending on location.
Yeah I figured that's why put such an ball park pricing in the og post

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Go to www.autopia.org and look for someone in you area. I would not let the dealer touch the car if you are looking for perfection.
I'll check this out thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 816 Likes on 385 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

What should you get with a paint correction. Exactly that. The paint should be free of all swirls and minor scratches. It should also be polished and sealed and/or waxed. I f you ask for a complete detail, that will involve the engine bay, interior and wheels and tires.
One think to remember, paint correction will not fix scratches that have gone in deep and the color is missing. I know they show all sorts of scratch removal products on TV, but the only way to correct those is with paint. Most detailers do not get into painting.
I also recommend that you check out the person or company first. Go to their shop and look at how they do things. Some of the so called detailers out there can do more harm then good. See how they keep the work area, are they using everyday towel or shop rags, or are they using good quality microfiber towels. If they wash a car while you are there did they use the same bucket to do the complete car? They should never wash the entire car with one bucket and never use teh standard towel or shop rags.
If and when you get it detailed completely make sure you check the section on car car so you keep it that way.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 AM
advancivic
Racer

Originally Posted by BWF07
What should you get with a paint correction. Exactly that. The paint should be free of all swirls and minor scratches. It should also be polished and sealed and/or waxed. I f you ask for a complete detail, that will involve the engine bay, interior and wheels and tires.
One think to remember, paint correction will not fix scratches that have gone in deep and the color is missing. I know they show all sorts of scratch removal products on TV, but the only way to correct those is with paint. Most detailers do not get into painting.
I also recommend that you check out the person or company first. Go to their shop and look at how they do things. Some of the so called detailers out there can do more harm then good. See how they keep the work area, are they using everyday towel or shop rags, or are they using good quality microfiber towels. If they wash a car while you are there did they use the same bucket to do the complete car? They should never wash the entire car with one bucket and never use teh standard towel or shop rags.
If and when you get it detailed completely make sure you check the section on car car so you keep it that way.

Yeah I've always been iffy allowing someone to buff my car after a carwasb burnt the paint right off and had to paint my bumper on my car in high school.

I got quoted earlier for this $60 for the vette but I don't think he was going to clay bar or buff/polish the paint just wax it.
Does this sound reasonable? How much more should I be expecting if I ask him to clay bar or compound buff the car. He said it would cost $90 to machine wax it. Is there a huge difference in hand wax and machine

•Foam wash w/ wax in foam
•wheels
•tire dressing
•interior vacuum
•windows
•interior wipe down
•exterior detail
•console
•floor mats vacuum
•interior shine
•door jams cleaned
•Exterior wheel wells cleaned and shined
•exterior wax hand wax
•steam machine for interior seats and carpet

I've never really paid attention to washing cars or detailing them I've always been about going fast so now since I have the vette I would like to keep it looking nice

Last edited by advancivic; 07-25-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:19 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 816 Likes on 385 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by advancivic
Yeah I've always been iffy allowing someone to buff my car after a carwasb burnt the paint right off and had to paint my bumper on my car in high school.

I got quoted earlier for this $60 for the vette but I don't think he was going to clay bar or buff/polish the paint just wax it.
Does this sound reasonable? How much more should I be expecting if I ask him to clay bar or compound buff the car. He said it would cost $90 to machine wax it. Is there a huge difference in hand wax and machine

•Foam wash w/ wax in foam
•wheels
•tire dressing
•interior vacuum
•windows
•interior wipe down
•exterior detail
•console
•floor mats vacuum
•interior shine
•door jams cleaned
•exterior wax hand wax
•steam machine for interior seats and carpet

I've never really paid attention to washing cars or detailing them I've always been about going fast so now since I have the vette I would like to keep it looking nice
If he is going to do all this for $60 and to machine wax it for an additional $30. I would advise you to do what was a great movie famous line and that is "Run Forest Run". Unless you have seen his work, I cannot believe you will get a good job for that price.
As far as machine waxing and hand waxing is concerned I have done both and lets face it the machine is a lot less work then hand waxing, so not sure why he is charging more. I use Adams products and he had at one time a machine polish and then finish it with the fine machine wax. They were both great products and the machine wax was easy to use, because the machine did all the work, were as the paste wax you do all the work.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I had some light scratches on my 2009 and that is what prompted me to buy a Flex buffer. Dang near impossible to burn the paint. Learning curve was easy, results were fantastic. Spent $400 and now I just do it myself anytime I like.
Learned it all by visiting the detail section on this forum

I live halfway between Nashville and Knoxville TN. If you are close shoot me a PM and I'll show you how easy it is.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 07-25-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:47 PM
advancivic
Racer

Originally Posted by BWF07
If he is going to do all this for $60 and to machine wax it for an additional $30. I would advise you to do what was a great movie famous line and that is "Run Forest Run". Unless you have seen his work, I cannot believe you will get a good job for that price.
As far as machine waxing and hand waxing is concerned I have done both and lets face it the machine is a lot less work then hand waxing, so not sure why he is charging more. I use Adams products and he had at one time a machine polish and then finish it with the fine machine wax. They were both great products and the machine wax was easy to use, because the machine did all the work, were as the paste wax you do all the work.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/aos/5678933254.html

I haven't just seen from this post and texting him
He said he uses only Chemical guys
Old 07-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Southmsfiveo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to give very specific advice without seeing the car. But you are on the right track. Ask questions. Detailer has to manage your expectations so be very clear to him/her about what you expect to be corrected.

If your paint has bad bug damage, heavy scratches and a lot of hard water spots paint correction will likely require an old school rotary buffer. The risk of cutting or burning through the clear or paint are significant unless the detailer has a lot of experience with the machine. Most detailers do not.
Some paint correction can be done with high end dual action polishers. They are pretty safe but not fail proof.
I did a 2015 black vette with low miles. Bug guts had eaten into the paint from letting them stay on the paint to long. I used Griot's new "Boss" and did a great job except the bumper and hood where the bug damage was. I think an old school machine in the right hands could have corrected the paint. It was beyond my skill set. I sent the customer to a body shop that I trusted with the buffer. All they had to do was the hood and bumper. The customer was happy with what I did and didn't go to the body shop.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM
advancivic
Racer

Originally Posted by Southmsfiveo
Hard to give very specific advice without seeing the car. But you are on the right track. Ask questions. Detailer has to manage your expectations so be very clear to him/her about what you expect to be corrected.

If your paint has bad bug damage, heavy scratches and a lot of hard water spots paint correction will likely require an old school rotary buffer. The risk of cutting or burning through the clear or paint are significant unless the detailer has a lot of experience with the machine. Most detailers do not.
Some paint correction can be done with high end dual action polishers. They are pretty safe but not fail proof.
I did a 2015 black vette with low miles. Bug guts had eaten into the paint from letting them stay on the paint to long. I used Griot's new "Boss" and did a great job except the bumper and hood where the bug damage was. I think an old school machine in the right hands could have corrected the paint. It was beyond my skill set. I sent the customer to a body shop that I trusted with the buffer. All they had to do was the hood and bumper. The customer was happy with what I did and didn't go to the body shop.

Paint isnt bad but since I just bought it id like it to be close to perfect
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 PM
advancivic
Racer

I asked the guy who quoted me $60 what he uses
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 PM
advancivic
Racer

I asked him to

Hand Wax
Clay bar
Cut and buff and polish
Engine bay
Complete interior detail

He quoted me $200 for that instead of $60 for
•Foam wash & wax
•wheels
•tire dressing
•interior vacuum
•windows
•interior wipe down
•exterior detail
•console
•floor mats vacuum
•interior shine
•door jams cleaned
•exterior wax
•steam machine for interior cleaning

Then again I had him quote me for the corvette alone
And the $60 was him washing 3 other cars with the corvette
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Car detailer or paint correction

Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I took mine to a professional that sometimes Mike Phillips helps out. It was 700 but it was the
Money I ever spent it looks new. It
Took 2.5 days
Old 07-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

I always thought that "paint correction" involved wet sanding with 2,000 or finer grit paper and then buffing out the sand scratches. The wet sanding takes out the heavier scratches in the clear coat and levels the "orange peel". This can't be done multiple times as eventually you will go through the clear coat and will have to repaint. I did this to my 2002 black Z06 and it came out beautiful. It looked like a show car finish instead of a shiny factory paint job. You need to use the proper polisher, and be very careful around edges and ridges or you can burn through the clear coat. If you do this kind of paint correction, $500 - $600 is not a bad price to pay, as it is a lot of work.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
I always thought that "paint correction" involved wet sanding with 2,000 or finer grit paper and then buffing out the sand scratches. The wet sanding takes out the heavier scratches in the clear coat and levels the "orange peel". This can't be done multiple times as eventually you will go through the clear coat and will have to repaint. I did this to my 2002 black Z06 and it came out beautiful. It looked like a show car finish instead of a shiny factory paint job. You need to use the proper polisher, and be very careful around edges and ridges or you can burn through the clear coat. If you do this kind of paint correction, $500 - $600 is not a bad price to pay, as it is a lot of work.
Wet sanding is a last resort. Some paint will need it of course, but it even in paint correction it is a last resort because it will remove a lot more of the clear-coat than even a compound will. The clear-coats are so soft that I wouldn't trust anyone to do it unless they ran an excellent body/paint shop as well. It doesn't take much to go right through the clear-coat on a lot of these cars. I've seen people use a fingernail and scratch right through clearcoat.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 07-26-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car detailer or paint correction