C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Fugly C3 Hood Insulation?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:49 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Non-Fugly C3 Hood Insulation?

I've seen some great examples of attractive underhood insulation for our C3s on this forum, but I can't seem to find any from any of the major corvette vendor sites.

Where the heck do you get non-super ugly hood insulation from?

Mine is falling down but I don't want to replace it with the splotchy gray stuff.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-27-2016, 04:33 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Go naked, you don't need it.
The following users liked this post:
quick648 (06-21-2022)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,719 Likes on 929 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by SH-60B
I feel like this answer could apply to many situations...

I agree though, I like the look of the fiberglass under the hood better than insulation. There have been some nice examples posted on the forum of people who have beautifully painted hoods, but my personal preference is a nice contrasting flat black against the body color.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

But I waaaant it!

;-)

Adam
Old 07-27-2016, 04:59 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
But I waaaant it!

;-)

Adam
ADAM, what year C3 ? do you have a color-texture type in mind..?
What about some sort of flexible hi heat spray on media to the insulation and the hold down rings?..Like bedliner stuff..You could experiment on some scrap..or the old one that's falling down..
FWIW...I believe the underhood insulation helps prevent heat damage to outer paint surface of the hood.Also would probably make any sort of underhood fire less damaging..
Old 07-27-2016, 05:28 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
ADAM, what year C3 ? do you have a color-texture type in mind..?
What about some sort of flexible hi heat spray on media to the insulation and the hold down rings?..Like bedliner stuff..You could experiment on some scrap..or the old one that's falling down..
FWIW...I believe the underhood insulation helps prevent heat damage to outer paint surface of the hood.Also would probably make any sort of underhood fire less damaging..
I can tell you it has absolutely no impact on the hood paint, my car has been 16 years naked, nothing.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

I can tell you it has absolutely no impact on the hood paint, my car has been 16 years naked, nothing.
That's good to know..what year c3 do you have and is the paint original or a newer more modern paint..??
I have seen a few older corvettes that had blistered paint on the hoods..but might have been older paint, poorly done..or a hotter non stock engine setup..Jim
Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Remember if your hood is up under the sun the chrome will reflect and cook the paint.

No issues on my 1969 C3 with hood issues and I use a sock at car shows.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

That's good to know..what year c3 do you have and is the paint original or a newer more modern paint..??
I have seen a few older corvettes that had blistered paint on the hoods..but might have been older paint, poorly done..or a hotter non stock engine setup..Jim
'79
Single stage urethane
I too have seen blistered paint on the hoods, roofs, doors, and trunks of laquer paint Vettes

Last edited by SH-60B; 07-27-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 AM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

If worries about heat blisters on the hood paint I wonder if it's possible to use the same material we use to keep the heat out of the interior? Is there any reason why Dynomat or any of the other thin insulating mats we put under our carpets won't survive attached to the underside of our hoods?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Hmm.. I think there might be confusion on what I'm asking for.

When you search ebay for "Corvette Hood Liner" you get a list of BEAUTIFUL options for C5s, C6s, and C7s with custom logos and all sorts of goodies.

-Where are the options like this for C3s? We just get nasty gray blotchy fiberglass stuff that looks like it should come in a roll from Home Depot and be installed in your attic.

Look at some of the pictures in this thread that seems to have been gutted by the admins: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-done-it.html

There's some awesome examples, but due to the mandatory censorship of non-forum sponsors, and I can only assume a complete lack of paying sponsors that offer any product like this, there's just no information on where to obtain a hood liner like this for a C3.

Ebay doesn't yield any results either.

If anyone knows where to get something like this, please PM me; I understand that the rules might not allow posting a link to a non-paying sponsor, even if that's the only source to get these things. I'm not asking anyone to break the rules, but I am asking for people's help locating one of these hood liners that clearly people on CF have purchased and installed.

Adam
Old 07-28-2016, 11:45 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

THIS is what I'm talking about. You know you want one!
The following users liked this post:
mffi115 (04-23-2020)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

THIS is what I'm talking about. You know you want one!
try searching for accousti-shield hood insulation w/logo..
I found them on Corvette America..but spendy....jim
Old 07-28-2016, 12:22 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

try searching for accousti-shield hood insulation w/logo..
I found them on Corvette America..but spendy....jim
Now we're in business! Thanks!

JEEZE; you weren't kidding about spendy. 10x the cost of the blotchy gray stuff...

Using the official logos requires getting a license from GM, though so that certainly ads costs.

Adam
Old 07-28-2016, 12:24 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

You know what? I've been looking at the VetteNuts insulation kits for our C3s and I think the "Ensolite" product that they use is the PERFECT substance to use to make an attractive custom liner on the cheap.

It's thin and "peel and stick" and I could use my existing ratty, nasty insulation as a template and just cut it with a carpet knife...

I reached out to VetteNuts to ask if they'd consider selling one pre-cut, but in the mean time someone take a look at this stuff and tell me if I'm crazy or if this actually seems like a good idea:

http://www.vettenuts.net/index.php?l...t_detail&p=341

It's pretty attractive, thin and is made to provide both noise and heat insulation. Seems like the perfect substance to use.

Adam
Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Now if anyone has any ideas on how to easily get custom logos / graphics on it, I'm all ears!

[Edit] Large Iron-on or sew on "patches" just super glued should work, no? I've found 11" ones on the Ebay but I heard 15" ones exist.

I think for like $45 I could buy a sheet of Ensolite and a large Corvette logo and up with something way better looking than the patchy gray "attic insulation".
(And maybe have enough Ensolite left over to cover my wheel wells to help with further noise reduction in the cabin...)

I like this plan...

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 07-28-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I think the hoodliners from the other thread were created by a guy named Gonzalo "Gonzo" Duque who passed away from pancreatic cancer October of last year; makes sense why these appear to have disappeared from the market completely, now.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Non-Fugly C3 Hood Insulation?

Old 07-28-2016, 01:46 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Now we're in business! Thanks!

JEEZE; you weren't kidding about spendy. 10x the cost of the blotchy gray stuff...

Using the official logos requires getting a license from GM, though so that certainly ads costs.

Adam
YEAH..I'm certain the crossed flag or CORVETTE logos add to the cost..BUT still seems exorbitant..Ecklers has a similar critter about same price with CORVETTE logo
CIF you go with the 'ensolite stuff'use a sharp pair of scissors rather than a carpet knife..Jim
Old 07-29-2016, 10:06 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

You know what? I've been looking at the VetteNuts insulation kits for our C3s and I think the "Ensolite" product that they use is the PERFECT substance to use to make an attractive custom liner on the cheap.

It's thin and "peel and stick" and I could use my existing ratty, nasty insulation as a template and just cut it with a carpet knife...

I reached out to VetteNuts to ask if they'd consider selling one pre-cut, but in the mean time someone take a look at this stuff and tell me if I'm crazy or if this actually seems like a good idea:

http://www.vettenuts.net/index.php?l...t_detail&p=341

It's pretty attractive, thin and is made to provide both noise and heat insulation. Seems like the perfect substance to use.

Adam
I'm not convinced that a peel-n-stick application is going to stay in place after getting exposed to the heat under the hood.
It'll probably end up laying on the engine after the tacky stuff melts and softens.
It's my understanding that the stock fiberglass insulation is secured with plastic fasteners so that in a under hood fire situation they will melt and the fiberglass insulation will fall onto the engine in an effort to smother the fire or at least slow it.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:01 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I'm not convinced that a peel-n-stick application is going to stay in place after getting exposed to the heat under the hood.
It'll probably end up laying on the engine after the tacky stuff melts and softens.
It's my understanding that the stock fiberglass insulation is secured with plastic fasteners so that in a under hood fire situation they will melt and the fiberglass insulation will fall onto the engine in an effort to smother the fire or at least slow it.
Hmm... Yea, you're probably right. Ensolite sells a glue-on version. Do you think something like the 3M adhesive would work better?

Adam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non-Fugly C3 Hood Insulation?