C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need expert advice on manual transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM
GTXZ06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default need expert advice on manual transmission fluid change

Hello all,
I would like your expert advice and opinions on manual transmission fluid change.

I read the service manual for c5 manual transmissions and said it does not need change until 100k.

I am currently sitting at 46K and not sure if I should get it done. My issue is if I do get it done it will be at the dealer. I don't want to spend that money if it is not needed.

Have you done transmission fluid change and did you notice any change in the way your car runs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:09 PM
GTXZ06
Advanced

[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]Every 100,000 Miles (166,000 Kilometers):
[/FONT]
  • [FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]Replace spark plugs.
    [/FONT]

• [FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]Inspect spark plug wires.
    [/FONT]

• [FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:
    [/FONT]

[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]– In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90[/FONT][FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]F (32[/FONT][FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]C) or higher.
[/FONT]
[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]– In hilly or mountainous terrain.
[/FONT]
[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]– Uses such as high performance operation.
[/FONT]
  • [FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]Manual transmission fluid doesn’t require change.
    [/FONT]

[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]NOTE: If you haven’t used your vehicle under severe conditions listed previously and, therefore, haven’t changed your automatic transmission fluid, change both the fluid and filter. Manual transmission fluid doesn’t require change.

[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]t[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]his information can be found here

[FONT='Franklin Gothic Medium', sans-serif]http://www.corvsport.com/Corvette/C5/2004/C5_2004_MaintSchedule.html

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
Old 07-27-2016, 04:14 PM
GTXZ06
Advanced

nevermind...i found a similar threat
Old 07-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Get it done, it can only shift better. If you can go with a synthetic then do that.
Chris
Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 PM
GTXZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
Get it done, it can only shift better. If you can go with a synthetic then do that.
Chris
Yea, i've been doing some reading and you're right, it can only shift better and i need it cause shifting from 1st to 2nd seems a little difficulty.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM
not2old
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GTXZ06
Yea, i've been doing some reading and you're right, it can only shift better and i need it cause shifting from 1st to 2nd seems a little difficulty.
It would be a good time to change clutch fluid too. I did the ranger method on mine. It was black and nasty. I had a bit of a sticky clutch pedal in heavy stop and go traffic. It needed changed.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:28 PM
GTXZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by not2old
It would be a good time to change clutch fluid too. I did the ranger method on mine. It was black and nasty. I had a bit of a sticky clutch pedal in heavy stop and go traffic. It needed changed.
I've been reading and watching the Ranger method and ready to do it when I get home today. My clutch fluid is black and nasty too.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:46 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Amsoil Torque Drive ...
Anti-Venom Mod...
Revised Ranger Method...

will all provide a little smoother shifting...
want more? C6 Z06 shifter or aftermarket MGW seems to be the shifter of choice...
Check your shifter box and see if the rubber grommets on the shifter box are rotted and cracked...if they are and it's moving it will make shifting harder...
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 PM
GTXZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Amsoil Torque Drive ...
Anti-Venom Mod...
Revised Ranger Method...

will all provide a little smoother shifting...
want more? C6 Z06 shifter or aftermarket MGW seems to be the shifter of choice...
Check your shifter box and see if the rubber grommets on the shifter box are rotted and cracked...if they are and it's moving it will make shifting harder...
Are you referring to the shifter adjustment method?
see here:

if that's not what you're referring to, can you give me a link how to check the shifter box?

Sorry I am new to the corvette.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Sorry... yes at 10:56 in the video he is shining his light on one of the three "bushings" that hold the box to the TT... they can be dry rotted and cracked and will let the lower box wiggle around... forum vendors sell replacement bushings to make the box solid...
IF the box and shifter look filthy... I would take it out... clean it, lube it and then reinstall it...

Anti-Venom Mod

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...procedure.html

Modified Ranger Method

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-method.html

Last edited by 73Corvette; 07-27-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM
GTXZ06
Advanced

Sorry... yes at 10:56 in the video he is shining his light on one of the three "bushings" that hold the box to the TT... they can be dry rotted and cracked and will let the lower box wiggle around... forum vendors sell replacement bushings to make the box solid...
IF the box and shifter look filthy... I would take it out... clean it, lube it and then reinstall it...

Anti-Venom Mod

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...procedure.html

Modified Ranger Method

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-method.html
Thanks for the explanation. I watched the video a few times but wasn't sure what to look for. This helps tremendously.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM
DaDuck
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default what year?

Hello all,
I would like your expert advice and opinions on manual transmission fluid change.

I read the service manual for c5 manual transmissions and said it does not need change until 100k.

I am currently sitting at 46K and not sure if I should get it done. My issue is if I do get it done it will be at the dealer. I don't want to spend that money if it is not needed.

Have you done transmission fluid change and did you notice any change in the way your car runs?

Thanks in advance.
OP. You did not mention what year C5.

Earlier C5's with M6 --Do Not use synthetic ATF.

Do a search on this.

Dave
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DaDuck
OP. You did not mention what year C5.

Earlier C5's with M6 --Do Not use synthetic ATF.

Do a search on this.

Dave
His profile says it's an 04... but, the Amsoil Torque Drive can be used in ANY of the MN6 trans...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 AM
GTXZ06
Advanced

His profile says it's an 04... but, the Amsoil Torque Drive can be used in ANY of the MN6 trans...
Yes, my is an 04. I took it to the dealer to do the trans fluid but they didn't have the fluid in stock so they have to order it. That's not a good sign. That tells me they don't work on these enough for me to trust them with my car but I don't have many options.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:24 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Brother there are a TON of dealership goat ropes... NOT a good place to take your vette in MOST cases... 8vette7 said it best "they don't even know how to spell C5"
Anyway it's a very simple DIY... just drain and refill...you can get a pump from Amsoil... I ordered the Torque Drive Fluid and the pump at the same time... I've used the pump for numerous other projects... great little pump...

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tle-hand-pump/

You can do the Anti-Venom Mod while your under there and CAGS delete also if it hasn't been done... this is the CAGS delete I used..

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-4...1997-2013.aspx

Last edited by 73Corvette; 07-29-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
GTXZ06
Advanced

Brother there are a TON of dealership goat ropes... NOT a good place to take your vette in MOST cases... 8vette7 said it best "they don't even know how to spell C5"
Anyway it's a very simple DIY... just drain and refill...you can get a pump from Amsoil... I ordered the Torque Drive Fluid and the pump at the same time... I've used the pump for numerous other projects... great little pump...

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tle-hand-pump/
The problem is I don't have the tools to properly jack it up. Thanks for the link though. I am going to invest in one of those for future.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Amsoil Torque drive synthetic is much better than the stock fluid, and pretty much the best fluid you can put in your c5 manual transmission. Even then, I would still change it every 50k.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

The problem is I don't have the tools to properly jack it up. Thanks for the link though. I am going to invest in one of those for future.
For what it's worth IF you go buy a floor jack and some jack stands and do this yourself... it will probably be cheaper than having the stealership do it... and you'll know it's done properly. Good luck either way
Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I changed mine last summer with the recommended GM fluid. The transmission shifts smoother and it's easier to find reverse on a cold engine. So definitely worth doing.

Get notified of new replies

To need expert advice on manual transmission fluid change

Quick Reply: need expert advice on manual transmission fluid change