Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Trunnion upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:55 PM
ccz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trunnion upgrade....

Anyone have input on trunnion upgrades?

People told me to go OEM, stay away from Comp cams. And a few people listed some others as decent but not to throw away the money.

What some of you others say?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Buy these:

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/ls...trunnion-kits/
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

I have the Comps, no issues but plan to install YT rockers soon - purchased thru Tony Mamo
Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I have BTR trunnions. I can't say much but they installed easily and haven't given me a reason to inspect them in ~5k miles.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:09 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Seen way too many comps fail. BTR are definitely better. I thought mine were fine too until I popped a valve cover and had several broken. Replaced them with BTR stuff for now. So I have 3 BTR and 13 comps. Once I decide what to do will be replacing all of them.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I just bought the Straub kit. I have the comp kit now. They haven't given me any reason to take them apart but I'm curious to see if there is any wear on the trunnions like others have seen. I'll probably check them next weekend.

OP-Are you running the stock cam and springs? If so, I'd just stick with OEM.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:47 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Straub kit is still too new to tell so hide and watch on that one.

Comp Cams kit has many documented fails but in their defense we'll never know how many of those are from bad install.

The BTR kit has superior quality steel on the trunnions vs the CC kit, bigger snap rings too but the problem here is you can't get them anymore as BTR has been out of stock for 4-5 months now.

So that leaves the only tried and true option that's still left. The one I have been using for a year and a half so far with no issues. CHE bushing rockers, I got them from WCCH, took off my noisy CC trunnion set installed these and it's been quiet ever since.

There are other options but at $1500.00 and way up from there. The CHE's are about $450.00 with your trade in of the old rockers, or so. No extra machine work required. You can't beat that price with anything else and get that kind of a quality part.

I had a set of YT's a while back they didn't last 4 months before the roller tips started give way. NO Thanks on those. And if you have an LS7 with any kind of extra lift on the cam you'll need to have the rocker stands machined for them to fit right. UGH.

Good luck you guys.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:23 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Harland Sharp

Harland Sharp makes a good upgrade kit. They either have them in stock or you send them yours and they turn it around. Someone on the Forum here did a really good write up on all the choices sometime back.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:50 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe

Comp Cams kit has many documented fails but in their defense we'll never know how many of those are from bad install.

The BTR kit has superior quality steel on the trunnions vs the CC kit, bigger snap rings too but the problem here is you can't get them anymore as BTR has been out of stock for 4-5 months now.

So that leaves the only tried and true option that's still left. The one I have been using for a year and a half so far with no issues. CHE bushing rockers, I got them from WCCH, took off my noisy CC trunnion set installed these and it's been quiet ever since.

There are other options but at $1500.00 and way up from there. The CHE's are about $450.00 with your trade in of the old rockers, or so. No extra machine work required. You can't beat that price with anything else and get that kind of a quality part.

I had a set of YT's a while back they didn't last 4 months before the roller tips started give way. NO Thanks on those. And if you have an LS7 with any kind of extra lift on the cam you'll need to have the rocker stands machined for them to fit right. UGH.

Good luck you guys.
Times have changed, new version for the ls7 are improved and strengthened, and no, they have shims, no machining required. Talk to YT and Tony Mamo, they'll confirm this
Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 AM
metalmind1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I second these as well. For the price they can't be beat. Way better price than the comp stuff and light years ahead of the stock ones. The only issue is the bronze will wear and will be a replacement item. I noticed lots of improvement when installing these. The lateral play on the rockets is almost diminished if installed properly and the are soooooo much quieter than the stock rollers.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

I swapped my Comp trunnions for the Straub Technologies bushings and I had them for about 4000-4500 miles so far without incident.

After 4200 miles my CC were showing signs of wear.

Check out my link for some pics and more information!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592267727

Last edited by Da Z06; 07-28-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 AM
ccz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
I just bought the Straub kit. I have the comp kit now. They haven't given me any reason to take them apart but I'm curious to see if there is any wear on the trunnions like others have seen. I'll probably check them next weekend.

OP-Are you running the stock cam and springs? If so, I'd just stick with OEM.
No I ll be running the PAC .660 dual 160lbs @1.80 415 @1.15. I ll be using the LS7R cam.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

The Straub looks like the best option to me..... I like that the bushing gets lubrication by other means than just splash, like the CHE set. The CHE's will wear over time. I had them in my engine for a year. They definitely were not as tight after a year as they were when installed. No way in hell would I use or recommend the Comp's. If it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.... And there's a hell of a lot of quack'n going on around them Comps.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

~2 months ago I would have said I have 18k miles on my comps and they are running fine, until I popped the valve cover and found 3 of them coming apart. Anyone who says there comps are fine needs to pop the covers to double check that.

I'll probably order the straub kit today.

BTR list smith bro bushing kit, interesting.
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/smi...grade-kit.html

http://www.pushrods.net/trunnion.html

Last edited by Unreal; 07-28-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I expect the bushing style kits to wear eventually and that's perfectly fine with me as long as the trunnions stay in good shape. I'd be surprised if Straub wouldn't sell you another set of bushings at a reasonable price. If not, you can have any local machine shop cut you some new bushings.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 AM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Colorado Speed sells the Straub bushing kits too.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...grade-kit.html
Old 07-28-2016, 10:09 AM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you give me a few more details on what failed? Also what was your setup when it failed? Big cam? How much lift? What max RPM were you running? Type of driving - drag, Auto-x, track, street?

Get notified of new replies

To Trunnion upgrade....

Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by long_tall_texan
Can you give me a few more details on what failed? Also what was your setup when it failed? Big cam? How much lift? What max RPM were you running? Type of driving - drag, Auto-x, track, street?
FYI, Yella Terra had a problem years ago that was resolved. So the timeframe in which someone had issues is also relevant.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Good luck you guys.
I've run multiple YT's on multiple platforms for 10's of thousands of miles for over 12 years now, no issues (99% of the problems I see are related to inappropriate use - the Ultralight series are NOT intended for high-lift, high spring pressure builds).

On the pricing side, I assume you probably went with CHE's before Straub came out with their version - Straub's solution is considerably less expensive. Marketplace competition is a good thing.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 07-28-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Btr has the replacement bushings and they are really cheap. $3 each

Ordered the Smith Bros ones from btr. I would never give a dime to cospeed and counldnt find any other vendors I like with the straub kit so I did the Smith Bros from Brian tooley.

Last edited by Unreal; 07-28-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Trunnion upgrade....