C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heater core

Here it is in the high 90s in Va and im talking about my heater core. Last fall i started smelling antifreeze when i used my defroster in my 93. I put a bottle of stop leak in ( i know but i was hoping to stop the leak at least or slow it down) anyway instead of stopping leak it stopped all or most of the air flow. So last winter no heat! Got a price on the labor and just got it back tuesday. All fixed no more leak and as a bonus temp is down from 193 to 189. I keep track of those things. Its great to be back on the road! Dave
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by davewhtt
Here it is in the high 90s in Va and im talking about my heater core. Last fall i started smelling antifreeze when i used my defroster in my 93. I put a bottle of stop leak in ( i know but i was hoping to stop the leak at least or slow it down) anyway instead of stopping leak it stopped all or most of the air flow. So last winter no heat! Got a price on the labor and just got it back tuesday. All fixed no more leak and as a bonus temp is down from 193 to 189. I keep track of those things. Its great to be back on the road! Dave
It might be interesting to share the "FOR HIRE" price. A shop did the install or maybe just an individual?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It might be interesting to share the "FOR HIRE" price. A shop did the install or maybe just an individual?
I supplied heater core,new hoses and antifreeze. Labor was 440.60 he said 5.5 hrs May have been about 30.00 in new clamps etc. I keep her under a car port with gravel floor so i didnt want to attempt it myself. This was a local shop ive used before( Also we use for oil changes etc at work(Sheriffs office)

Last edited by davewhtt; 07-28-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow!!! I think you got a great price on that.
The following users liked this post:
davewhtt (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by davewhtt
I supplied heater core,new hoses and antifreeze. Labor was 440.60 he said 5.5 hrs May have been about 30.00 in new clamps etc. I keep her under a car port with gravel floor so i didnt want to attempt it myself. This was a local shop ive used before( Also we use for oil changes etc at work(Sheriffs office)
A "relationship" with the shop never hurts. I'd say you did pretty well considering the aggravation. Did the fellow comment as to the fit of the core? It's mentioned often that the tubes don't quite in some and for sure NOT on others work and require substantial "tweaking".

Ask the fellow if he'd do another. I'll bet NOT!!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:31 PM
davewhtt
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
A "relationship" with the shop never hurts. I'd say you did pretty well considering the aggravation. Did the fellow comment as to the fit of the core? It's mentioned often that the tubes don't quite in some and for sure NOT on others work and require substantial "tweaking".

Ask the fellow if he'd do another. I'll bet NOT!!
I mentioned to him about tubes. I didnt talk to him when i picked it up but plan on talking to him soon. I wanted to see old core just to see where it leaked. Not sure how much trouble they had doing the work...all i know is my big *** wasnt going to attempt it!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM
skidball
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow ! Good price. I did mine. It was a challenge. Good for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater core

Quick Reply: Heater core