C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

hood latch works but hood will not open drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood latch works but hood will not open drivers side

LIKE I SAID WHEN I PULL HOOD RELEASE IN THE CAR **DRIVERS SIDE DOES POP AND CLICK JUST WONT RAISE UP BUT ONLY INCH 1/2 TO 1 INCH WONT COME ON UP

STILL MY HOOD WONT RAISE ON DRIVERS SIDE
PASSENGER SIDE RAISES 4-6 INCHES I STOP LIFTING THEN ***BECAUSE DRIVERS WONT MOVE AND DONT WANT TO BREAK THE HOOD

DRIVERS SIDE POPS WHEN PULL HANDLE JUST WONT COME ALL WAY UP JUST ONLU POPS UP A INCH OR SO? ?

i used THE emergency hood release tool bought from ecklers
THE ROD THAT IS BENT A LITTLE ON ONE END AND MORE ON OTHER AND I CANT TELL IT DID ANYTHING

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET HOOD OPEN WITHOUT DESTROYING IT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER

THE TOOL FROM ECKLERS DID NO GOOD AT ALL

***** I CAN PUSH DRIVERS SIDE DOWN LOCK IT DOWN AGAIN

GET IN CAR PULL HANDLE IN CAR IT POPS RELEASES AGAIN BUT STILL WILL ONLY GO UP AN INCH OR SO STUCK DOWN NOT ALL THE WAY BUT STUCK DOWN ! ! ! ! !! !

HELP ME
Old 07-28-2016, 08:59 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by marvin503
LIKE I SAID
1) Which year car, as this doesn't belong in "Ask Tadge"?

2) Don't type in all caps. It's not really considered polite.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jvp

it is a 1986 coupe one of them my father helped build at bowling green plant and one that belonged to him.
he passed away 6 months ago and i am fixing the car up what i can find it needs trying make a fairly nice car out of it better than it was anyway it was kinda rough when got it 3 months ago was in dads barn evidently he bought it rough somewhere in bowling green, ky where he lived .
he would have an answer if he was alive still, he worked there ever since the first production vette was made there and rolled off the line that was one his jobs to fix/repair any defects on the new vettes before they left the plant.

when i pull latch release in car both sides pop clcik up and release about an inch

i can lift passenger side idk maybe 7 inches until i get afraid i break the fiberglass hood the driver side is stuck at up an inch wont raise any farther
I can push driver side back down latch it pull lever in car unlatch it again still only goes up and inch no farther just there and thats it
* i got the tool from ecklers yesterday in mail messed with car today treid per instructions for 4-6 hrs still no luck

took side fender panel off, battery pedastal out, battery out, and crusie control loose so could move it to side some
and still cannot get to the llatch or pin or even see the end of pin from underneath

only thing i know is to take inner wheel well out the try take upper inner wheel well looose from hood then idk maybe can see end of latch pin but dont see how since it is pretty much closed up in a steel box except for the top which i cant get to

maybe drill a 1 inch hole in top of hood or 2-3 1 inch holes idk wjhat else to do

if it were a 1986 buick or somehting else a with front latch
id just atke grill, bumper, radiator, water pump etc etc off till i got to it

Last edited by marvin503; 07-28-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:46 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

if Tadge was ever affiliated with the bowling green corvette plant he should know my deceased father who the car belonged to, a
mr. marvin 'mp' smith who retired at the plant
Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jvp

it is a 1986 coupe

i got the emergency tool from ecklers today cannot get it to work for me ?
anyway have battery fender panel off battery pedetal out battery out cruise loose
pass side will raise as far as i want to i stop for fear of breaking off the corner of the hood
the driver side is different story
it goes up about 1 inch like pass side does when i pull hood release inside car but that is as far as it goes no more.

i can push it back down latchunlatch again in the car same story pops up about 1 inch no more that is it my friend
Old 07-28-2016, 10:57 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

i had hood lock down yesterday up only about an inch on drivers side
fiddled with the latch in car pushing them back down unlatching got hood to come up

so today i thought i would try to remedy the problem for fear i may not be abled to fiddle with them next time get it to open all the way up

i looked as i let hood down saw latch lins were not in line with the holes they go in locked hood down
saw fender and door were not lined
showed hood needed to go to drivers side about 1/4 inch
so loosened the 3 bolts hold latch pin plates moved the plates both about 1/8 to 1/4 inch th same way so fenders and hood would hopefully line up. i didnt torque the bolts only slightly snugged them a little more than finger tiight with my socket
closed hood and thats when the big trouble beagn drivers side would not go up any more than the initial 1 inch when pulled release inside car and stck there exceept can push it down relock it it pull release unlock again still no go pops up a little no farther
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I'm sure the two of you had some special times as insiders in the Corvette assemblers "club". Thank you for the pictures!

It gets confusing when you start three posts for the same question. It's interesting that you made the problem worse when you tried to adjust the hood latches. There are several posts on this forum that discuss the correct way to align the hood latches.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 07-31-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:10 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=Hot Rod Roy;1592733785]Really sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I'm sure the two of you had some special times as insiders in the Corvette assemblers "club". Thank you for the pictures!

It gets confusing when you start two posts for the same question. Let's drop the responses on this post, and focus on your other post. It's interesting that you made the problem worse when you tried to adjust the hood latches. There are several posts on this forum that discuss the correct way to align the hood latches.

[/QUOTE]im drilling 1/2 inch holes in bottom of steel box latch pin end goes in where release device is at
i am
not drilling in hood or breaking it just to open it
Old 07-29-2016, 11:12 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

got battery panel off battery ou cruise device hang in easy access to the steel box now
Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 PM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

all i wanted to know is if anyone knew how to get driver side up, guess no one knew, i figured it out
Old 07-30-2016, 01:11 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

all i wanted to know is if anyone knew how to get driver side up, guess no one knew, i figured it out
Glad you figured it out. All we had to go on was your description of the problem. We couldn't see how you had screwed it up, so how was anybody supposed to predict how to bail you out?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:10 AM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

WANTED AN ANSWER OBVIOUS ALL THE PPL THAT REPLIED TO THE POST KNEW "NOTHING ABOUT "CARS OR CORVETTES" WHATSOEVER
ONLY HOW TO BE A KNOW I ALL THAT DON'T KNOW **** LMFAO

THANKS FOR NOTHING ALL U IDIOTS THAT RESPONDED WITH YOU SMARTASS KNOW IT ALL COMMENTS
Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 AM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

If u cant open driver side take battery out drill hols in enclosed steel box frpm underneath then open latch mechanism with screw driver from dollar tree

passenger side i do not know, and no one else does

only how email u snide smartass comments sorry
Old 07-30-2016, 11:21 AM
marvin503
Heel & Toe

Ps do not ever ask tadge he is a total jerk who will definitely send u snide know it all email

evidently he
cant even manage to wipe his *** right gets poop on his fingers everytime
Old 07-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

WANTED AN ANSWER OBVIOUS ALL THE PPL THAT REPLIED TO THE POST KNEW "NOTHING ABOUT "CARS OR CORVETTES" WHATSOEVER
ONLY HOW TO BE A KNOW I ALL THAT DON'T KNOW **** LMFAO

THANKS FOR NOTHING ALL U IDIOTS THAT RESPONDED WITH YOU SMARTASS KNOW IT ALL COMMENTS
Impressive.

You should change your handle to Stephen Covey.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Ps do not ever ask tadge he is a total jerk who will definitely send u snide know it all email
I am definitely impressed with Tadge's courtesy for him to take his valuable time to respond to your question!!

open latch mechanism with screw driver from dollar tree
If that's where you buy your tools, I think you posted on the wrong web site. Please try: www.mustangforum.com

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 08-02-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:26 PM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I think you posted on the wrong web site. Please try: www.mustangforum.com

Poster may want to try breaking the Prozac in half next time.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

For anyone that does run across this problem you simply hold the release lever out while you lift up the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To hood latch works but hood will not open drivers side

Quick Reply: hood latch works but hood will not open drivers side