C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 AM
bullguts
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 scan tool

got a 1989 auto coupe and just want to know what scan tool to buy and where from ?. Looked on ebay but they don't seem quite right some how . On my fourth MAF sensor and still get a code 33 now and then , that SES light does not stay on though , now ( like before ).I hear that you can actually delete certain codes with a scan tool , which is what I want . Changed the relays as well actually . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Cheers guys
Old 07-29-2016, 12:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Take a trip to Autozone and borrow their scanner. Once you determine it works for your car and does OBDII also, buy a new one from Amazon or Ebay.
The following users liked this post:
bullguts (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 PM
bullguts
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
Take a trip to Autozone and borrow their scanner. Once you determine it works for your car and does OBDII also, buy a new one from Amazon or Ebay.
Thank you for the tip , problem is that I live in Australia and just need to know which one to buy . There is no autozone here , and not many corvettes either . Actually sick of taking it to a mechanic that might fix one thing and wreck another as well . Thanks again cheers champ
Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I use a snap on mt2500 scanner for my 86. They are old and can be found fairly inexpensive.
bullguts (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bullguts
Thank you for the tip , problem is that I live in Australia and just need to know which one to buy . There is no autozone here , and not many corvettes either . Actually sick of taking it to a mechanic that might fix one thing and wreck another as well . Thanks again cheers champ
One thing you can get is a Tech 1 scanner from Ebay. It will even cycle your ABS, IIRC. I got an Auto X-ray but it was a long time ago and it will work but the Actron one somehow doesn't work although it says it will and Actron, which now owns Auto X-ray even confirmed that it will not. Go figure
bullguts (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 10:02 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing you can get is a Tech 1 scanner from Ebay. It will even cycle your ABS, IIRC. I got an Auto X-ray but it was a long time ago and it will work but the Actron one somehow doesn't work although it says it will and Actron, which now owns Auto X-ray even confirmed that it will not. Go figure
I bought snap on my-2500 off of eBay. Works great on my 89 Vette
bullguts (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 06:09 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Here's some info you may find helpful regarding a code 33. It appears to be a tricky code with more than one culprit possible.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-33-info.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...butt-86-a.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-33-help.html

Good luck... GUSTO
bullguts (07-30-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 AM
bullguts
Advanced

hi guys , after sniffing around interwebs for hours and hours , I ended up buying this tool pictured on ebay . It's coming from Wisconsin , so it should get to me in a couple of weeks . Will let you know how it turns out then , cheers . PS feel free to leave your thoughts on this , thanks .
dm575 (09-04-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 06:21 AM
charleseawright
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys , after sniffing around interwebs for hours and hours , I ended up buying this tool pictured on ebay . It's coming from Wisconsin , so it should get to me in a couple of weeks . Will let you know how it turns out then , cheers . PS feel free to leave your thoughts on this , thanks .
very interested to know how it works!
bullguts (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I just got a similar one, but can't tell you how it works yet as my ECM for my '92 is out for repair for an intermittent problem.
bullguts (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

You'd have to have a laptop around when you are doing it on the run. It isn't as nice as a scanner but it should work. I have those and I use the MT2500 or Auto X-ray more since they are more convenient.
bullguts (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM
bullguts
Advanced

You'd have to have a laptop around when you are doing it on the run. It isn't as nice as a scanner but it should work. I have those and I use the MT2500 or Auto X-ray more since they are more convenient.
thing is that it's 30 year old technology and the tools you described are the same vintage and could not find one anyhow .Could buy the cable that goes from 12 pin to 16 pin but obd1 does not work on obd2 scan tool .Actually know a couple of guys with scan tools but they wont lend it to me .You'd think I was asking for their wife for the night ,,,hehe . Any how fingers crossed this laptop type of deal works .Thanks again champ , cheers
Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

thing is that it's 30 year old technology and the tools you described are the same vintage and could not find one anyhow .Could buy the cable that goes from 12 pin to 16 pin but obd1 does not work on obd2 scan tool .Actually know a couple of guys with scan tools but they wont lend it to me .You'd think I was asking for their wife for the night ,,,hehe . Any how fingers crossed this laptop type of deal works .Thanks again champ , cheers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autoxray-EZ-...253602&vxp=mtr

That is what I have except it speaks english. Ask your guys. Maybe they will let you have their wives for the night instead of the scanner so it is a win-win.
bullguts (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 11:50 PM
GaryDoug
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the LB9 or L98 engine, the TunerproRT pc program should work for you. It may be included on the CD that comes with the cable, but you may want to check the TunerPro website for the latest "free" version. I suspect you will also need the "GM/1227165_6E.ads" file from their web site if it isn't on the CD. That file will operate in the faster bidirectional communication mode (no resistor on the cable, I think), which gives you more data than the standard slower mode (with the resistor installed). TunerProRT can be a bit of a challenge to set up but once that's done, it works fine (no frills though). Good luck.
bullguts (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Here's the direct link to that .ADS file:

http://www.tunerpro.net/download/dat...1227165_6E.ads
bullguts (08-01-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:41 AM
bullguts
Advanced

Default C4 scan tool

Ok here is the update . Got it and followed the directions . Just before you connect it to the car it shows you how to test if the cable is working and every thing is ok , which it was . Problem is that when you connect it to the car it says cable not connected . Ok so that's a fail right there . Also the instruction video lets you know that you can only monitor with this set up , not tune or change anything .That was something I really needed to know before buying it of course . To be honest the whole thing has been a very frustrating , time and money wasting exercise . Hope you guys out there have better luck . Lesson learned . Cheers
Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM
GaryDoug
Advanced

I see that this ecm has two modes of operation and it is possible the cable does not connect to the right pin to use the Tunerpro definition file. But I am not sure. Try this app, which claims to use the slower communication mode in your ecm, which the cable should handle: http://winaldl.joby.se/

Try it with the cable jumper on and with the jumper off. I don't know which way it is used normally, but I think the jumper should be on for use with Winaldl and off for use with TunerPro RT.

Select 1227165 for ECM Type in the configuration menu.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 09-02-2016 at 02:11 PM.
bullguts (09-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 scan tool

Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 PM
bullguts
Advanced

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
I see that this ecm has two modes of operation and it is possible the cable does not connect to the right pin to use the Tunerpro definition file. But I am not sure. Try this app, which claims to use the slower communication mode in your ecm, which the cable should handle: http://winaldl.joby.se/

Try it with the cable jumper on and with the jumper off. I don't know which way it is used normally, but I think the jumper should be on for use with Winaldl and off for use with TunerPro RT.

Select 1227165 for ECM Type in the configuration menu.
thanks for that gary , and I did try that . My laptop is using windows 10 and i'm thinking it could be the problem ,or the actual plug in the car perhaps . The laptop says the aldl cable is fine but nothing happens when I plug it into the car . Thanks again and open to any other ideas too . Cheers john
Old 09-03-2016, 11:24 PM
GaryDoug
Advanced

thanks for that gary , and I did try that . My laptop is using windows 10 and i'm thinking it could be the problem ,or the actual plug in the car perhaps . The laptop says the aldl cable is fine but nothing happens when I plug it into the car . Thanks again and open to any other ideas too . Cheers john
Shouldn't be anything to do with Windows 10, because that's all I use on several pc's with TunerPro RT, WinALDL, WinFlash, Datamaster, Scan9495, and several OBD2 tools.
bullguts (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 12:15 AM
bullguts
Advanced

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Shouldn't be anything to do with Windows 10, because that's all I use on several pc's with TunerPro RT, WinALDL, WinFlash, Datamaster, Scan9495, and several OBD2 tools.
Thanks for that , and so now guess I better take it to the local corvette mechanic . Cop it in the back pocket again . Thanks again for your help though . Cheers

Quick Reply: C4 scan tool