C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 05:40 PM
c5lola
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warped !!!!

Hello to everyone on the forum.
I have a 2012 centenial edition grand sport convertible. I took it to Lime Rock this past weekend to watch the Northeast Grand Prix. Corvette team came in 1st and 2nd . It was a hot weekend upper nineties. The vette was out in the sun all day. When the racing was over I went to my car and noticed that the trunk lid was out of alignment. I checked it out and couldn't see any problem. I took it to the dealer to look at it to see if it just needed adjustment. To my surprise they told me the lid had warped ! Has anyone every had a situation like this ?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2016, 06:05 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by c5lola
I have a 2012 centenial edition grand sport convertible. I took it to Lime Rock this past weekend to watch the Northeast Grand Prix. Corvette team came in 1st and 2nd . It was a hot weekend upper nineties. The vette was out in the sun all day. When the racing was over I went to my car and noticed that the trunk lid was out of alignment. I checked it out and couldn't see any problem. I took it to the dealer to look at it to see if it just needed adjustment. To my surprise they told me the lid had warped ! Has anyone every had a situation like this ?

Thanks

WOW... never heard of that before... did it separate at all???
Old 07-29-2016, 06:22 PM
c5lola
Cruising

It didn't separate, it just twisted so that the left side sticks up. It's not flush with body!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I've never heard of anything like that before either.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 PM
c5lola
Cruising

Originally Posted by EVRose
I've never heard of anything like that before either.
called GM and they are looking into it. i'll update this when i know more.
thanks
Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Never heard of that before, but I guess enough heat can do strange things to plastic.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:34 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

interested in hearing what they say.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by billyboy47
Never heard of that before, but I guess enough heat can do strange things to plastic.
Very strange for it to warp. My car sat outside one year with 64 days over 100 degrees and it did not warp. Second hottest summer on record in DFW.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:59 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine is the same way. The left back of the vert trunk lid is up about a quarter of in inch while the right side is flush. Interested to hear what you find out.

2012 GS

Last edited by beachcomber; 07-30-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:17 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Very strange for it to warp. My car sat outside one year with 64 days over 100 degrees and it did not warp. Second hottest summer on record in DFW.
Yeah, but your car is white , which wouldn't get as hot as a dark colored car. I wonder what color the OPs car is?..WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-30-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks
Do you have extended warranty? If so, curious to see what their approach will be.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 AM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Same here '13 427 NRB

I noticed the same but did not bring it into dealer, I'll do the same and get some pics, I can see it more in my garage when there's a light dust on the car.
My 3yr is over but I have extended gmpp or whatever its called.

C5lola , is the car in the garage most of the time? Can you try and post a pic?

Wonder is chevy customer service will join in on the thread???

Last edited by BLUEMEANIE; 07-30-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:31 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Can't say that I've ever heard of that before.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:16 AM
c5lola
Cruising

I called GM customer service about this problem and they are communicating with the dealer. I do have gmpp but the dealer said this is not covered. When I spoke to the customer service rep, I told her this should be no different than a corrosion warranty, she kind of understood what i was saying,and said they may pursue that avenue. My vehicle is at at the dealer so i can't post a picture of the problem at this time. BTW this car is garaged and not driven in the rain. This is the first time it sat out all day in bright sunshine and High 90's. This is my 3rd vette second convertible and never had a body integrity problem before. i'm a member of the North Jersey Corvette Club and we are having our annual car show at Schumacher Chevrolet on rt 46 in Clifton,N.J. on Sept. 10th. Bring your car to show it, or just look at some fantastic new and vintage vettes .
Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Well that's just weird Hope they figure it out for you, and FIX IT
NSF
Old 07-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Boilerman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Back in 78 I had a 73 with a high rise hood that warped, it was a bad part and did not hold paint or its shape and I had to replace it.

I also had a Black 79 Vette that I had parked in the sun, locked and set the alarm and the hood got hot warped and the sensor that touched the hood when shut lost contact with the hood due to the expansion of the hood and the alarm went off, ran some cold water on the hood and it went back down.
Plastic can and does expand and contract with heat and cold.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:14 PM
c5lola
Cruising

Correction , the car show is Sunday 9/11. Sorry about the miss information!

Get notified of new replies

To Warped !!!!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Odd....in for answer.

Inner support separation.
Bumper or qtr panel alignment not the lid.
Hinges or bump stops.
Deck lid "skin" separating from structure.
Item left in trunk pushing up part of the lid, then lid heated and warped.
Twisted or just a corner.
Inspect for stress cracks or caulking failure.

Perhaps finding a good deck lid, making a template from that lid and then compare template to your lid to find where it is warped could be the first step in determining how this happened.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:33 AM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I called GM customer service about this problem and they are communicating with the dealer. I do have gmpp but the dealer said this is not covered. When I spoke to the customer service rep, I told her this should be no different than a corrosion warranty, she kind of understood what i was saying,and said they may pursue that avenue. My vehicle is at at the dealer so i can't post a picture of the problem at this time. BTW this car is garaged and not driven in the rain. This is the first time it sat out all day in bright sunshine and High 90's. This is my 3rd vette second convertible and never had a body integrity problem before. i'm a member of the North Jersey Corvette Club and we are having our annual car show at Schumacher Chevrolet on rt 46 in Clifton,N.J. on Sept. 10th. Bring your car to show it, or just look at some fantastic new and vintage vettes .
Small world...I bought mine from shumacher denville
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

That is where I test drove the GS I almost bought before I bought my CE GS in Pennsylvania. but it was under another name which I can't remember.

Quick Reply: Warped !!!!