C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Spare tire

Are there any new inexpensive solutions for the space saver spare? I have zero faith in the original one even though it looks ok holds air and all that.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

That's a really good question!
I recently took my spare out and checked the pressure.. it was down to about 25 lbs. I washed it real good and put a solution of dawn dish washing soap and water around it and filled it 5psi at a time while flipping it over and watching for leaks. Found no bubbles but still I'm afraid of a 20 year old spare even if it still does look new.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Like Klondike says, don't trust the spare tire further than getting home or the nearest tire store. I see people drive with those replacement tires on the highway and it scares the jehebbers out of me.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:46 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Those spares are only intended for low speed (under 40mph) short distance trips to get you to a garage or tire store for repairs or a new tire. It's definitely not to be used as an everyday tire. If it holds air and you can follow the guidelines of its designed use, you will be fine. The spare tire isn't going to explode or fall off the rim as many would think unless it's severely dry rotted, won't hold air, or the rim is rusted beyond safe use.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:54 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

The spare is also part of the rear-collision impact protection. I would not drive far or fast on a 20 yer old spare.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:14 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

I removed my spare and carry this instead. As others stated, spare looks fine and holds air fine. Not sure I trust it and I also don't want to deal with two flat tires...

Most new cars don't even have spares anyway, even though they come from the factory with run flats, most owners replace them with better performing regular tires.

1. Lose the added weight
2. Cleans up the rear end
3. Isn't going to help you at all in a crash.
4. Carry a cell phone at all times.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:04 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94

I removed my spare and carry this instead. As others stated, spare looks fine and holds air fine. Not sure I trust it and I also don't want to deal with two flat tires...

Most new cars don't even have spares anyway, even though they come from the factory with run flats, most owners replace them with better performing regular tires.

1. Lose the added weight
2. Cleans up the rear end
3. Isn't going to help you at all in a crash.
4. Carry a cell phone at all times.

You are wrong on #3. It was designed to be part of the safety design to have the spare tire under the rear end help protect you from a rear end collision. It was a GM proven fact that they do offer a level of protection.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:56 AM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

25 -30 year old tire...made to hit rear diff in rear end crunch, Still going to need rear body parts,spare or not...There are a lot of "Drivers" out there that know how to drive from games.....90 has spare , 86 was dry rotted....86 DD when home.....Drive truck...I've seen it all...ziggy
Old 07-30-2016, 07:47 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
You are wrong on #3. It was designed to be part of the safety design to have the spare tire under the rear end help protect you from a rear end collision. It was a GM proven fact that they do offer a level of protection.
Proven fact?

It is not a life saver. It is equivalent to wearing a helmet while sky diving. If your shoot doesn't deploy, the helmet is wearing you at that point. Same thing when 30 year old soccer mom sipping on some star bucks while texting in her 6,000LB. Denali rear ends you.

The reason they offered a spare tire delete bracket was to simulate the spare tire carrier in the event of a crash. Either the device or the spare isn't going to do much for you in the way of preventing a fatality. The spare tire delete bracket is just there so the car doesn't have to be re-certified for crash test ratings without a spare. That is big money.

A plastic rubber container with flimsy aluminum brackets isn't going to transfer crash energy anywhere. Its just going to slide out from underneath the car. Either way the car is pretty much totaled.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

There are choices BUT they nearly all are done on the "wrong" bolt circle but could be used with an "adapter". Ideally a couple people should split the "pair" of required adapters. There's way to many to list.

I did the adapter configuration for a ZR-1 owner with the C6 "big brakes" but the fellow I used for the adapter has passed. There's many others I expect. I used a Caddy spare for his.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Really, as others have already said, if the spare looks good and holds air, I don't think you need to fear using it. The spare in my '94 is original, looks fine, has seen no significant heat cycles or UV radiation. I have no plans to try to replace it, and would not hesitate to use it if I need it.

I would, of course, drive gently on it, and only as far as necessary, but I would have no worries at all about bolting it onto the car and slow-rolling along to get me to someplace where a permanent solution can be accomplished. These spares were never intended for more than very short-term, limp-along duty, and I can see no reason to worry that mine isn't still adequate for that task.

Live well,

SJW
Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Proven fact?

It is not a life saver. It is equivalent to wearing a helmet while sky diving. If your shoot doesn't deploy, the helmet is wearing you at that point. Same thing when 30 year old soccer mom sipping on some star bucks while texting in her 6,000LB. Denali rear ends you.

The reason they offered a spare tire delete bracket was to simulate the spare tire carrier in the event of a crash. Either the device or the spare isn't going to do much for you in the way of preventing a fatality. The spare tire delete bracket is just there so the car doesn't have to be re-certified for crash test ratings without a spare. That is big money.

A plastic rubber container with flimsy aluminum brackets isn't going to transfer crash energy anywhere. Its just going to slide out from underneath the car. Either way the car is pretty much totaled.
I never said or implied that this spare tire would prevent serious injury or even worse. What I did say was that the factory mounted spare tire does, and in fact, offer a "level of protection" in a rear end collision. There are some GM statistics available that do show this. I've even seen them detailed on this forum, but just can't remember how to find them. Someone here once detailed this fact. Level of protection can also mean "extra protection". Like a padded dash. Correct, It's not going to keep the occupants from serious injury and will not prevent the car from being totalled. It's only an object designed to help absorb energy created from a rear collision. Not a major crash. Kind of like the "crumple zones" designed into the front fenders of some cars. That would just be dumb to think the spare tire would offer major protection. Many delete this spare for weight reduction, appearance or just don't want to be bothered with maintaining it. For me, I'll always keep that extra "level of protection" in place. It just makes good sense to me. Those few extra pounds aren't going to be a game changer for me.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:13 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine will hold air, but has a bunch of cracks in the tread area. I fill it up with air, and it holds air. But like with any tire, you have to check it every so often to refill it back up. Thought of trying to get a flexible valve extension that I could pop out to check/air it up without having to drop the carrier and pull the tire to do that.

Had to use it once several years ago on the interstate and it worked fine. I did a couple of years ago put fix a flat in it and rolled it around then aired it up figuring that might seal any small leaks that could be in there if there are any. But then later I read that sealant only works temporarily. But the tire holds air like a normal tire so I just leave it.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:08 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

There was a thread about getting a new spare:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-more-yrs.html

When I called Tire Rack the very unfriendly and unhelpful person told me no such thing for a C4. YMMV
Old 07-30-2016, 05:34 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default spare

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Are there any new inexpensive solutions for the space saver spare? I have zero faith in the original one even though it looks ok holds air and all that.
Keep the spare but carry a small inflator (harbor freight) and a tire plug kit. The slime is ok but it messes up the tire pressure sending unit and the tire guys hate it.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:35 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Isn't going to help you at all in a crash.
You sure about that? I have read several articles that claim it doesn't fix everything 100% but it does something to help. Better would be a brace but there it is. Besides, I have had some tire wrecks that no amount of slime would help and the only fix is a tire.

I recently dumped my tire and put in a fresh tire from Tire Rack. A few years ago anyways. And yes, I did have the situation where only a wheel and tire would work.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:38 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Yes, if the CHUTE doesn't deploy, you have issues beyond what a helmet can do. OTOH, if you land badly, the helmet can offer some protection. Bikers have died with helmets on too. For the not so serious crashes, the helmet is better than skin.

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire

Old 07-31-2016, 12:41 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SJW
Really, as others have already said, if the spare looks good and holds air, I don't think you need to fear using it. The spare in my '94 is original, looks fine, has seen no significant heat cycles or UV radiation. I have no plans to try to replace it, and would not hesitate to use it if I need it.

I would, of course, drive gently on it, and only as far as necessary, but I would have no worries at all about bolting it onto the car and slow-rolling along to get me to someplace where a permanent solution can be accomplished. These spares were never intended for more than very short-term, limp-along duty, and I can see no reason to worry that mine isn't still adequate for that task.

Live well,

SJW
Tell that to Dad. He thought the tire was good since it had all kinds of thread and lived in the garage except when driven. Blew out and took the fender. Good thing he didn't crash out. But seriously, is it that expensive to change the thing after 22 years? However gently you drive it can still be brittle from oxidation. Why chance it?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:43 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by colter
Mine will hold air, but has a bunch of cracks in the tread area. I fill it up with air, and it holds air. But like with any tire, you have to check it every so often to refill it back up. Thought of trying to get a flexible valve extension that I could pop out to check/air it up without having to drop the carrier and pull the tire to do that.

Had to use it once several years ago on the interstate and it worked fine. I did a couple of years ago put fix a flat in it and rolled it around then aired it up figuring that might seal any small leaks that could be in there if there are any. But then later I read that sealant only works temporarily. But the tire holds air like a normal tire so I just leave it.
Any particular reason not to change it when there are cracks?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Weck86
There was a thread about getting a new spare:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-more-yrs.html

When I called Tire Rack the very unfriendly and unhelpful person told me no such thing for a C4. YMMV
I did get it from Tire Rack. Yes, it is an oddball so you are going to have to check with different people till you get the answer.

Quick Reply: Spare tire