C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with LS3 new cam selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Help with LS3 new cam selection

Looking for recommendations on a new cam for a M6 LS3. Car is not a daily driver and only comes out for short drives around town on the weekends.

Looking for high duration/aggressive idle but don't want to go too far above stock lift and start and messing with springs, rockers, etc.. unless I have to. Pro charger or supercharger might be in the cards someday so need to factor that in, at least rule out another cam change if I go that route.

The GM #88988753 "Hot Cam" doesn't sound radical enough @ 219/228 and looks like it needs matching springs.

Competition Cams CCA-646-433-13 looks like a good candidate and I've used them in the past as well as Lunati

Pretty sure I can figure out how to through a tune into the computer for whatever cam goes in, so that shouldn't factor in.

Any ideas? Once again, basically a drop in replacement that will rattle the fillings from my wife's teeth while we're stopped at a red light
Old 07-30-2016, 10:49 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

So here's what I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1441&sb=2
or less agressive:
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1440&sb=2

Leaning towards the ***** Thumpr though.They recommend the Hi-perf dual spring kit 26925TS but also works well with their single spring 26918-16. Looking into the specs for the single springs show them really close to my stock LS3 springs. Lift is close to stock on both cams so I'm thinking stock springs and just drop it in. I'll do the dual spring kit if there's any chance of float or other problems...just don't know the stock valve train capabilities good enough to decide and maybe somebody can comment here. Rollers should be good considering less than 2800 on the motor... again opinions are always welcome and appreciated.

From what I've been reading, the low LSA of both these cams might give the electronics a problem but I'm hoping it can be tuned out, yet another thing for me to understand, but that's the fun part and I'll probably sink some serious coin into diagnostic/tuning tools as time goes on.

This car will never see the track, nor > 6000 RPM and only used to wake up the neighbors for midnight milk runs.

Headers will also be going in with the cam install.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2016, 02:26 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Looking for recommendations on a new cam for a M6 LS3. Car is not a daily driver and only comes out for short drives around town on the weekends.

Looking for high duration/aggressive idle but don't want to go too far above stock lift and start and messing with springs, rockers, etc.. unless I have to. Pro charger or supercharger might be in the cards someday so need to factor that in, at least rule out another cam change if I go that route.

The GM #88988753 "Hot Cam" doesn't sound radical enough @ 219/228 and looks like it needs matching springs.

Competition Cams CCA-646-433-13 looks like a good candidate and I've used them in the past as well as Lunati

Pretty sure I can figure out how to through a tune into the computer for whatever cam goes in, so that shouldn't factor in.

Any ideas? Once again, basically a drop in replacement that will rattle the fillings from my wife's teeth while we're stopped at a red light

I don't know of one, nor would I do a bigger cam and not change the valve springs to support it. One of those things, the entire valve train needs to work together to make sure you have a stable platform to run the car on hard.

The G6X3 has been an extremely popular cam in the LS3 market both Corvette and Camaro.

If the need comes up you want to go forced induction...they work very well with Procharger systems

Old 07-30-2016, 03:44 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You might want to work with your tuner on cam system selection. They can work with Comp to customize the cam to be very specific to your needs.

For the street, suggest talking about optimizing torque over the entire power band rather than HP.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:41 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
the entire valve train needs to work together to make sure you have a stable platform to run the car on hard.
Wow.. Didn't know that. LOL. I'll pass on the G6X3 but thanks

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
You might want to work with your tuner on cam system selection. They can work with Comp to customize the cam to be very specific to your needs. For the street, suggest talking about optimizing torque over the entire power band rather than HP.
I'm sure there are a few tuners around that know what they're doing, but all I've seen are hackers fixing one problem and causing 2 more. No way I'm paying $150 for someone to tweek a table to get rid of a stumble. It will take time, but I'll be tuning the car after I understand the tools and have no problem with the laptop in the passenger seat seat. Saw a post from a guy selling a download to change the curve for pedal position vs throttle body claiming +50hp. Guess some lawyer or doctor out on Long Island might be impressed with that.

So I got a little ahead of myself with the cam change. Probably gather some data with the stock setup then add long tubes and push up from there. Once I'm comfortable with the control system, I'll do the cam.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ_phil

your car from factory comes equipped with the springs that are used with the "hot cam".with after market mufflers and "hot cam" make dentist appointment for your wife now

Last edited by irok; 08-01-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with LS3 new cam selection

Quick Reply: Help with LS3 new cam selection