C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Ttoi
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gas Tank Removal

Ok guys, I have read a lot of posts regarding the level sensor problem and I decided to try and change it myself. The video with Brian is a great video on how to drop the tank but I'm having a little problem with connector hose. I have gotten some separation but there's some sort of a metal clip that wasn't defined on how to remove it. The little black clip was removed as described in the video but if anyone can help with how to finish removing the crossover hose, it will be greatly appreciated. Should I try and remove the driver's side tank in hope of pulling the hose away from the passenger side tank? Thanks again Brian for sharing the video!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 PM
don37
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure the aluminum pan on each tank is removed. You need to use quite a bit of force to fully retract the crossover hose. Also, the internal tank lines may have fused themselves onto the crossover tube internal lines. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

I believe that there is a center retaining clip holding the center of the tube to the frame that will need to be released also.
The following users liked this post:
Ttoi (07-31-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Southmsfiveo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I removed the metal clip around the center of the crossover tube. While I tried to turned the metal ring to release the tube I realized i had the tube pulled at an angle putting the metal lock ring in a bind. Once I had it lined up the ring unlocked with a little effort. I pulled and pulled on the crossover tube. It finally pulled free. The two internal hoses have to be lined up just right to allow the crossover tube to pull far enough apart that you can separate the two internal hoses. Once the crossover tube and internal hoses are free, the tank will come down. Assuming you have released the filler tube and vent line. Push the two internal tubes into the tank. They are attached to the pump and you have to work it all out as a single unit.
Ttoi (07-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:15 AM
don37
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
I believe that there is a center retaining clip holding the center of the tube to the frame that will need to be released also.
There's a clip thats akin to being spring loaded - just yank the pipe and it will pop out.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by don37
Some useful data

Fuel cards in tank (fuel level wiper arm)

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...s/38377?page=1

Left side card (incl o rings / sender) - 88967316

Right side card - 10310103
Right side o rings - 21008100
Improved cards - better ink

Left side - 88967315
Right side - 88967316
Hi I'm a little confused by the part numbers referenced above. The first part referenced and the last are the same but one is for the left and the other for the right. If I bite the bullet and have my car fixed I want to be sure any parts that have been improved and used (and not the original junk).

Can someone sort out the part numbers, original versus improved?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:07 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Just a little background to be careful about, is that one model year there was a change to the fuel sensors, if you install the wrong one the gauge will read backwards.
Cant answer your question about which is the upgraded one.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:46 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Just a little background to be careful about, is that one model year there was a change to the fuel sensors, if you install the wrong one the gauge will read backwards.
Cant answer your question about which is the upgraded one.
Change was in 07....05-06 are opposite resistance readings and, therefore, a different sender.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:27 AM
94sundevil
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Take the bolts out the pan supporting the other tank. The tank will drop about an inch and give you more room to pull the crossover tube out. Once that is separated though the inner tubes will more than likely be stuck together. If that happens you'll need something small and flat to separate the connection.
Ttoi (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 PM
Ttoi
Advanced

Default Retaining Clip

How do I release that clip? There seems to be a metal clip that is on the outside of the white plastic of the hose. Now, I'm not sure if that's what is preventing the hose from coming out.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:48 PM
94sundevil
Instructor

Have you looked at the following thread, it might help.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fuel-pump.html
Ttoi (08-10-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

This may help als
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nvOlj9ZFgo...
Old 08-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Ttoi
Advanced

Default Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by 94sundevil
Have you looked at the following thread, it might help.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fuel-pump.html
This step-by-step thread was extremely helpful. I have finally gotten passed the metal clip but the hoses are the next problem. I can pull the hose back and feel the stretch of the hoses but can't see far enough inside to try and carefully peel them off. Is it a special trick to get those welded hoses off?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:23 PM
Ttoi
Advanced

Default Clamp

Ok, I'm almost there but this clamp is not giving way. I have pushed and pushed that button and no release. I have also pulled the button out and still no release. Is it something I'm doing wrong with this clamp. It's the same one that I disconnected earlier in this process. I have been making progress 1 step (day) at a time. I'm too close to lose confidence now but my patience is wearing thin. The tank is dropped and is hanging on by this clamp.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2016, 06:33 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Looks like there are two points to this connector that need to be in the released position when you depress the center outside tab. The inner tabs could have tension on them preventing the total release of the fuel tubing. I would suggest pushing the tubing into the connector while pushing the release tab to free the inner retaining locking tabs.
It could be hanging up on the ridge of the tubing. Also check the action of the inner locking tabs if possible and make sure they are reacting correctly. One could be not moving properly giving you issues.
In the Video link that I gave you, check out the action of the connector @ 6:27 mins.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...3D32nvOlj9ZFgo

Last edited by extrapilot; 08-18-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I think you still need a fuel line release tool like these. Push the tab while inserting the release tool into the white connector. This will spread it wide enough to overcome the flange.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 10-11-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Ttoi
Advanced

Default Clamps

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
I think you still need a fuel line release tool like these. Push the tab while inserting the release tool into the white connector. This will spread it wide enough to overcome the flange.
Hmmmmmm, I never thought about using those. I will give it a try. I will also take some tension off the line and push in and try to get it to release. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank Removal

Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 AM
94sundevil
Instructor

That one you just need to press on the release portion on the white clamp. If I remember correctly I did the following, press and hold release clip, push the hose up hard, then pull apart. It was difficult to pull apart the first time.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Ttoi
Advanced

Default Finally!!!!!

Gentlemen, thanks for your detailed instructions I have successfully removed the right gas tank🔩🛠🎊. After jumping up and down and running around in celebration, I noticed my o-rings aren't visible because I think the fuel hoses broke off. Picking the tank side pieces of hose shouldn't be a problem but the crossover side is another story. Also, how do I remove the lil swing hasp in the second pic. I tried banging on it a little bit but it's not budging. C'mon guys don't give up on me, WE can do this 😉. I need your help a little while longer. All suggestions are appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM
94sundevil
Instructor

To remove the metal ring, I used a 1x2 piece of oak and pounded that with a rubber mallet. As far as the tubes, did you pull them apart or cut them? Let me find a picture to show you what it should look like.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Removal