Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the heck!!! Power steering...Uck!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:08 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default How the heck!!! Power steering...Uck!!

Wow the C5 power steering system is a huge "cluster F." Clamps positioned so you can't get them. Fittings in rack so tight you have to nearly destroy them. No holes in freaking plastic pulley so you have to break the thing to get to the pump bolts!

Then the coup de grass...how the heck do you get the pulley back on the pump shaft??

You can't heat the plastic pulley to expand the metal center to slide over the shaft.

I drove the pulley onto the shaft only to drive the shaft out the back of the pump!!! What a POS!

I can rebuild a Ferrari motor but I can't get this dang pulley on.

So what is the secret handshake?

Motor R&R is a real pita.

TIA

Last edited by fatbillybob; 07-29-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:46 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Get a turn one pump, makes life much easier
Old 07-30-2016, 11:36 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Get a turn one pump, makes life much easier

They have the pully with holes also.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:56 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

also there is a tool for install as it is a press on
Old 07-30-2016, 01:54 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just recently did my ps pump. Not at all a tough job. As others have said, buy a Turn One pump with their pulley mounted.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Fatbillybob,

I have a video on this see below.

Here make it easy 4u.

Last edited by froggy47; 07-30-2016 at 02:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by froggy47:
StKnoWhere (08-02-2016), SunnydayDILYSI (08-01-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Is it typically the pump or the rack or both that need to be replaced in our cars (c5)?

I've changed my fluid to redline but the "whine" is back after an on track session. It basically sounds like a big belt drive blower when I turn the wheel driving back through the paddock.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

First the pump then the seals in the rack (they both are weak points). Turn One will replace them both with quality gear (if you ship your rack to them they will replace the seals). The Turn One pump also helps reduce strain on the system as it reduces the work of the pump by ~1/3 (increases work of driver a bit though).
Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Both

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
First the pump then the seals in the rack (they both are weak points). Turn One will replace them both with quality gear (if you ship your rack to them they will replace the seals). The Turn One pump also helps reduce strain on the system as it reduces the work of the pump by ~1/3 (increases work of driver a bit though).
Old 08-02-2016, 09:31 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Froggy,

Thanks! I figured it out after I took a long look at it. My old blind eyes saw the hex in the snout but not the threads!!! So like an idiot I forced on my 1st plastic pulley which failed and I had to break it off. I could not heat the pulley to expand the center and finesse it on being plastic. So then I bought the LS3 pulley out of metal so I could heat it and slide it on.

Below is all you need to put one of these pulleys on. The thread is 3/8-16 and you need grade 8 full thread 3" bolt and nut and some thick washers. You can then drive the pulley on with no heat if you want to go plastic. The metal is indestructible. Some claim the plastic can fail with high HP or racing. I never heard it happen since racing these since 2007. The metal is heavy with lots of inertia so probably cost me HP like a heavy clutch but that's what I could get locally instantly and it will never break plus I have access to the pump bolts if I want to take the pump out. The bolt you need might not be available locally so you can order from mcmaster carr. I could not wait so I used a 6" grade 2 hardware section of home depot racing supply. It barely worked and I was very ginger with the nut bolt, lubed it and it still deformed and bent but my pulley is on. Get a grade 8 bolt and no problem.
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Froggy,

Thanks! I figured it out after I took a long look at it. My old blind eyes saw the hex in the snout but not the threads!!! So like an idiot I forced on my 1st plastic pulley which failed and I had to break it off. I could not heat the pulley to expand the center and finesse it on being plastic. So then I bought the LS3 pulley out of metal so I could heat it and slide it on.

Below is all you need to put one of these pulleys on. The thread is 3/8-16 and you need grade 8 full thread 3" bolt and nut and some thick washers. You can then drive the pulley on with no heat if you want to go plastic. The metal is indestructible. Some claim the plastic can fail with high HP or racing. I never heard it happen since racing these since 2007. The metal is heavy with lots of inertia so probably cost me HP like a heavy clutch but that's what I could get locally instantly and it will never break plus I have access to the pump bolts if I want to take the pump out. The bolt you need might not be available locally so you can order from mcmaster carr. I could not wait so I used a 6" grade 2 hardware section of home depot racing supply. It barely worked and I was very ginger with the nut bolt, lubed it and it still deformed and bent but my pulley is on. Get a grade 8 bolt and no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To How the heck!!! Power steering...Uck!!

Quick Reply: How the heck!!! Power steering...Uck!!