2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default C7 - iPhone or iPod?

Quick question regarding the C7(Z) infotainment system. I'm planning to the pull the trigger on a 2017 C7Z and I know the infotainment screen raises and lowers so that you can plug in a memory stick or your smartphone into the USB port.

I was at an industry conference last week and placed my business card in one of those prize drawings and actually won a new 6th Generation 128G iPod Touch. I've been an iPhone user for the last few years and I haven't had the need for an iPod since then, however, this new 6th Generation iPod Touch is really nice!

My question is if I plug the iPod Touch into the USB port behind the infotainment screen and just leave it there all the time, can I also connect my iPhone via Bluetooth wireless for incoming and outgoing calls, etc.? If I'm driving listening to music via the iPod Touch and a call comes into my iPhone, does the infotainment system pause the music automatically so you can take the call? Basically, does the Bluetooth phone over ride the system or do they act separately?

Thanks!

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-30-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes when you make/receive a call, the music will pause whether the music is through BT or USB. I have my iPod touch plugged in and I can take calls over BT with no problems. I can even switch between BT audio on my phone and music from my iPod via the USB cable.
The following users liked this post:
MSG C5 (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:36 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
Yes when you make/receive a call, the music will pause whether the music is through BT or USB. I have my iPod touch plugged in and I can take calls over BT with no problems. I can even switch between BT audio on my phone and music from my iPod via the USB cable.
Great. Thanks.

For some reason my wife's SUV doesn't allow this as the system is somehow confused by two Apple devices. It works with the iPod and a Samsung phone but not my iPhone.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The manual says you can pair up to 10 devices via bluetooth. I'd be curious to see how it would handle that many, so YMMV on that one.
MSG C5 (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

You can use a music device via USB, and a phone via bluetooth simultaneously. I do it every day. My iPod Touch with Spotify is connected via USB. My Blackberry OS10 device is connected via bluetooth. If I make or receive a phone call, the iPod music pauses, then resumes.

Unfortunately the GM infotainment system cannot talk to two bluetooth devices simultaneously. The Ford Sync system can. On Ford vehicles I can use both devices via bluetooth at the same time. On the GM system you may have many devices *paired* at the same time, but only one can be *connected*.

Even if I could do both via bluetooth, connecting your music device via USB is better. Besides charging the music device, you also get a much better music quality via the wired connection. A bluetooth music stream is highly compressed.

I have learned to turn off the wifi receiver on the iPod because when I don't drive the car for a few days the iPod battery will go dead. With wifi turned off that doesn't seem to be a problem. I have the Spotify music downloaded to the iPod so I don't need a wifi connection.

Note that Apple Car Play is not supported on any iPod. That seems odd because its the same operating system as the iPhone and iPad, but it the iPod definitely does not work for Car Play.

Last edited by Citation; 07-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.
MSG C5 (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 09:39 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Citation
You can use a music device via USB, and a phone via bluetooth simultaneously. I do it every day. My iPod Touch with Spotify is connected via USB. My Blackberry OS10 device is connected via bluetooth. If I make or receive a phone call, the iPod music pauses, then resumes.

Unfortunately the GM infotainment system cannot talk to two bluetooth devices simultaneously. The Ford Sync system can. On Ford vehicles I can use both devices via bluetooth at the same time. On the GM system you may have many devices *paired* at the same time, but only one can be *connected*.

Even if I could do both via bluetooth, connecting your music device via USB is better. Besides charging the music device, you also get a much better music quality via the wired connection. A bluetooth music stream is highly compressed.

I have learned to turn off the wifi receiver on the iPod because when I don't drive the car for a few days the iPod battery will go dead. With wifi turned off that doesn't seem to be a problem. I have the Spotify music downloaded to the iPod so I don't need a wifi connection.

Note that Apple Car Play is not supported on any iPod. That seems odd because its the same operating system as the iPhone and iPad, but it the iPod definitely does not work for Car Play.
Thanks. Good information. Strange that the new iPod won't work with Apple Car Play. If I connect the iPod to the USB port behind the screen and keep the wifi off, will the battery drain between drives or will it shut off with the car?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

The iPod will drain at the same rate it would if were sitting in your house, not connected to anything. With wifi turned off that would be at least a week.

I use the USB port in the center console. I think that is easier to operate the device. If you are playing music that is actually stored on the iPod you can do everything from the car's touch screen. I am using it for Spotify so I need to touch the iPod screen to make changes. If I was able to use Apple Car Play I would be able to do everything form the car radio screen.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Citation
The iPod will drain at the same rate it would if were sitting in your house, not connected to anything. With wifi turned off that would be at least a week.

I use the USB port in the center console. I think that is easier to operate the device. If you are playing music that is actually stored on the iPod you can do everything from the car's touch screen. I am using it for Spotify so I need to touch the iPod screen to make changes. If I was able to use Apple Car Play I would be able to do everything form the car radio screen.
Probably better to just have it sit in the center console. Not much room in there for much else anyway and then just manually turn it off after each drive to keep the iPod battery from wearing down.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:11 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Quick question regarding the C7(Z) infotainment system. I'm planning to the pull the trigger on a 2017 C7Z and I know the infotainment screen raises and lowers so that you can plug in a memory stick or your smartphone into the USB port.

I was at an industry conference last week and placed my business card in one of those prize drawings and actually won a new 6th Generation 128G iPod Touch. I've been an iPhone user for the last few years and I haven't had the need for an iPod since then, however, this new 6th Generation iPod Touch is really nice!

My question is if I plug the iPod Touch into the USB port behind the infotainment screen and just leave it there all the time, can I also connect my iPhone via Bluetooth wireless for incoming and outgoing calls, etc.? If I'm driving listening to music via the iPod Touch and a call comes into my iPhone, does the infotainment system pause the music automatically so you can take the call? Basically, does the Bluetooth phone over ride the system or do they act separately?

Thanks!

Yes,

I have an iPod classic behind the screen; my iPhone generally sits in the rear cupholder.

The car knows the difference; when you select media, it will ask which media device, the iPod or the iPhone.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 - iPhone or iPod?

Quick Reply: C7 - iPhone or iPod?