Sponsored by:

C6 vs C7 new questions, I swear

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:45 PM
chickenmagnet
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 vs C7 new questions, I swear

I have been looking at C5s and C6s for the last year. I missed out on some bargain low mileage 08s in the late winter for various reasons (mostly lack of time).3 different LT1s under 25k dollars with low miles... Anyway spring and summer rolled around and now similar cars are in the 30s. So I started looking at C7s - I research every night and the 14-16s are dropping into the 45k range especially in the last couple weeks. I am torn as to pay 15k more to get a 1-3 year old car vs 8-10 yr old one. For those that have owned both - is it worth it? (for 15k diff)

I drive a lot - I am a sales rep covering CO/WY/MT but I want a fun summer/fall car. Here are my questions:

Headlights at night - any difference between the two?

If you have happened to drive in the colder weather (not snow) are there any issues with the Windshield wipers freezing up or not clearing even patterns? Visibility issues?

How is the defrost on either car - again cold mornings trapped in the north? Does it clear quickly? front and rear?

Road noise in c6 z51 vs z51 or stock (base) c7? how about with the top off?

Long distance comfort? 500 miles plus per day?

Navigation in the c7 - can I use while driving or does car have to be stopped? Is it better in c6? ( i know about cell phones but WYO has places where there isnt reliable coverage)

Paint durability between the two?

Bluetooth connectivity - which is better - can you dial off the phone - any glitches on either car? Sound quality, ease of operation, etc.

And here is the dumbest question of them all - are they both entirely fiberglass/CF or are there some metal body panels ie - trunk lid, door,?

If anyone has put a removeable decal or magnet-esque sign on the car can you let me know what works best there?

I am sure I can think of more odd questions but I spend a lot of time in my current cars and these are some issues I have with them. Thanks
Old 08-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I can't answer a lot of your questions cause I've never owned a c6. The c7 is made of a plastic composite. The hood and standard painted roof are carbon fiber. There are no metal body panels. As for a door decal, I would go with vinyl. Inexpensive to make, easy on, easy off.

It's an easy car to drive that's happy tearing it up or cruising at 25 through the neighborhood. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I'll get the main question. Yes, it's well worth the difference in money between the C6, and C7. While my C6 was a fine car, my C7 is light years ahead. The C7 rides, and drives great with comfort for long runs. If your looking for a road car the base car is smoother over uneven/rougher roads than the Z51 because of the sport suspension. Heat/cooling systems are very good on both generations. I can't compare the Nav systems as I don't have one in the C7, but it's got to be better than the one in my C6. It can't get any worse. So far with limited use the bluetooth in the C7 has been fine. My 07 C6 didn't have bluetooth.

IMHO, save yourself some time, and get a new C7. The '16 prices are the best they have ever been, plus you get the new car warranty. That's worth a bunch of money right there. Take a little time, and check the prices of some the vendors here, Criswell, MacMulkin, Coughlin, Kerbeck etc. You'll be glad you did.

Ref the road noise in the coupes I can't say. I've owned convertible forever.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-11-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:32 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Not to be flippent...but you really can't compare the C5 with the C7, or the C6 for that matter. The C7 is light years ahead of either of those two Corvettes.
Headlights offer much better lighting at night, defrosters work well. It's a Corvette on run flats...it is a bit noisy.
I have a 2lt with the GT seats ( standard ) and I drove from Austin to Denver non stop with out fatigue. Seats are so much better than my '09's were that I am not sure that they were made by Lear, they are good.
Nav is good, not great, Bluetooth works well.
No it is not entirely fiberglass, it is composite. Hood and top are carbon fiber and the rest of the body panels are a " fiberglass, resin and a catalist
" composite. It is called SMC and has been used since 1973.
You are going to need a really strong magnet to get anything to stick, best shot is something that adheres by static, and good luck with that.
And, yes, the 14 is worth 15K more that the C5 or C6 just on looks alone, either interior or exterior.
Get a 14 and join those of us who have already found the thrill of 460 pounds feet of torque and envy of every kid on the block.

Last edited by rcooper; 08-11-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:35 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Having had serveral C6's i loved those cars but the C7 is another level better. i'll try to answer your questions below... but if you can afford it, the C7 is the better way to go.

Originally Posted by chickenmagnet
I have been looking at C5s and C6s for the last year. I missed out on some bargain low mileage 08s in the late winter for various reasons (mostly lack of time).3 different LT1s under 25k dollars with low miles... Anyway spring and summer rolled around and now similar cars are in the 30s. So I started looking at C7s - I research every night and the 14-16s are dropping into the 45k range especially in the last couple weeks. I am torn as to pay 15k more to get a 1-3 year old car vs 8-10 yr old one. For those that have owned both - is it worth it? (for 15k diff)

I drive a lot - I am a sales rep covering CO/WY/MT but I want a fun summer/fall car. Here are my questions:

Pretty much the same if you have the XENON lights

If you have happened to drive in the colder weather (not snow) are there any issues with the Windshield wipers freezing up or not clearing even patterns? Visibility issues?
you will need snow tires, the Corvettes are not good winter cars, the C7 is particularly not a great winter car... C6 wins this one.

How is the defrost on either car - again cold mornings trapped in the north? Does it clear quickly? front and rear?
C7 has remote start on the A6 and A8's C7 wins

Both have road noise that is easily solveable ( see threads on this forum) VERT is only way to go for top down driving... targa buffets and is awkward. ( had coupe and vert )

Better in C7 as seats are way better.

Navigation in the c7 - can I use while driving or does car have to be stopped? Is it better in c6? ( i know about cell phones but WYO has places where there isnt reliable coverage)
C7 nav much better, C6 nav sucks bad

better paint on the C6, acceptable only on later C7's

Bluetooth connectivity - which is better - can you dial off the phone - any glitches on either car? Sound quality, ease of operation, etc.
C7 wins

And here is the dumbest question of them all - are they both entirely fiberglass/CF or are there some metal body panels ie - trunk lid, door,?
C7 has CF hood and roof, the 2016 body panels are almost as light as CF and much cheaper. They are composite and not fiberglass, there is a difference.

If anyone has put a removeable decal or magnet-esque sign on the car can you let me know what works best there?
WHY ? magnet won't stick to composite materials

I am sure I can think of more odd questions but I spend a lot of time in my current cars and these are some issues I have with them. Thanks

Last edited by DickieDoo; 08-11-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:43 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

I went to NCM Motorsports Park for hot laps. They have a C5 and a C6 car. One is an ex race school ZO6 the other is a standard ZO6.
I told the drivers that all I had was a base C7 and would be reluctant to track it.
They said my "base C7" was at least as good or better a car than either of their C5 or C6's.
I'd take that testimony from guys who drive customers around all day as pretty much gospel.
Spend the extra money for all the other advice/recs given above and this basic starting point.

Last edited by mtaxman; 08-11-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM
poulosd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved my C6. However there is really no comparison between the C6 and the C7. My C7 is better in every respect. No need to go into every detail. All factors considered, the C7 is by far the best yet.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:58 PM
chickenmagnet
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. I like the c5 and c6 z06 but I am shying away from a manual. I live in CO and the traffic is terrible since pot was legalized.

Well you guys helped me though because I saw a clean c6z51 and while I still may make him an offer, I will continue my search for the c7. The prices keep getting lower everyday. It's bizarre how the prices have dropped so significantly in the course of 4 weeks.

How is the c7 mt in traffic? Easy or not great? I have a 01 porsche c4 cab and it is no fun with the 6speed in rush hour. I only ask because the color choices I want are mt in Colorado.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:07 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I still have both at my disposal almost every day to choose from, and I invariably choose my Stingray. That says I must like it more.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I put almost 400,000 miles on C4s. I put 40,000 miles on a C5. I put 128,000 on my C6... the C7 is a totally different car from any previous platforms.... the C7 is the best Corvette yet. It does everything well.

500 miles day? I commonly put 600 and I'm 74 years old....
Old 08-11-2016, 07:32 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

It's like comparing NCC-1701-A and B to NCC-1701-E.
The following users liked this post:
Gooner (09-25-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 PM
KGS365
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

15K difference vs. a 8-10 year old car?.....isnt the question answered?...$1,500 per year difference?....most cars depreciate $3K per year....i've also been looking at c6's and trying to justify price something with 50K mileage or below is at least $25K and thats a 2005-2007...2008's are $28K or more...the price differential doesn't seem to be enough for all the improvements on the C7

Last edited by KGS365; 08-11-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:50 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The other responses are very accurate. The previous generation vettes shouldn't even be a consideration. That's how much better the C7 is.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 PM
chickenmagnet
Intermediate

Great! Thanks for all the advice. It will be a hard choice for sure. I recently sold some rentals and I put up with all that BS (having tenants) so I was going to reward myself with a c6. But the C7s have come down significantly in price the last few weeks that it is hard to go the other route. And with the new GS out - those are stunning cars. I wanted a starter Corvette - thats why I mentioned the c5 ( i like the z06 ), But I don't like the traffic here in CO now that pot is legal.

But now I have a storage problem. I have an old mining shed as a garage and while its super cool - its also super rustic and would be a tight fit for two cars. ( the other being my wife's 01 996 cab). I am working on that issue right now - trying to expand it a few inches. Or I have to come up with an interesting Car port that doesn't look too cheap.

I have other room to store the car on our lot, but its not covered and I am looking to alternatives right now. Thanks again for all the great responses. My DD is a 2008 Acura RL - its a great car, but in my line of work I need something flashier - but not German as our C4 is over the top. Last year I leased a 435i xdrive - it was time travel quick but the mileage limitations drove me crazy so i turned it back over to BMW and kept my bullet proof RL. Great car for the winter but I want something cool for the summer and the Porsche is a PITA to drive in traffic and long distance. Thanks again for all the advice.

Also when you are legally driving over 120 mph how is the stability?
Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 PM
navyvetteran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default C-6 vs C-7

Originally Posted by chickenmagnet

Just went from 2013 GS to a 2017 GS, C-7 is far superior in every respect, not even close
Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP, just want to add one comment about the C5. It certainly offers the best bang for the buck for all Corvettes. However, you asked about headlights. One of the shortcomings of the C5 is it's headlights. They are inadequate (I'm trying to be tactful). So if you look at that model, please take that into consideration. Otherwise, the C5 offers a lot of value for little money.
But, I'd still spend the additional money, and buy a C7.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by L8ter
It's like comparing NCC-1701-A and B to NCC-1701-E.
That's the most awesome answer ever.
The following users liked this post:
L8ter (08-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs C7 new questions, I swear

Old 08-11-2016, 11:55 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

For the sake of brevity.......

NEWER IS BETTER!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The C5s and C6s were great cars for their time. However, a lot of things have overtaken them now. C5 had no Navigation and troublesome flip up headlights, with the C6 GM finally corrected a 43 year old design mistake and got rid of the flip up headlights that had caused multitudes of problems from the time they were first produced, the C6 Nav wasn't bad (despite some people's complaints), however, with the C6 Nav GM never included all the data included in other devices. For some reason they decided some areas didn't need to be covered so there are places where roads have been in place for 10 years or more before the C6 was designed that aren't included in the data pack. On top of that GM hasn't provided any updates for that Nav unit since late 2013 and that update was missing a lot of data. The more remote the area the less likely it will have data. Not sure who the knucklehead in GM was that decided to do that but it is a problem with all GM cars during that era.

One thing I don't like about the Nav in the C7 is the lack of a speed limit display on the unit itself. For some reason they decided to put it in the DIC and you have to give up watching other stuff if you want the speed limit to be displayed. Not a well thought out design. However, the data is far more up to date than the C6 last update. A problem in the future may be GM's lack of providing timely updates. My car was produced in June 2015 and as far as I know there hasn't been any update of the data. If you purchased a Garmin you would have had 4 or 5 in that time.

The best thing about the C7 Nav is you get the PDR with it. If you don't need or want the PDR then the Nav may not be worth purchasing.

I think the lack of timely data updates is a big weakness of all OEM Nav units. The OEMs aren't equipped to pump out quick and accurate up dates.

Bill
Old 08-12-2016, 12:46 AM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Of course everyone in this section of the forum owns a C7 so they will all tell you the C7 is way better... which I agree with, but you may also ask this question in the C6 section, and will likely get different answers. My C7 is my first vette so I can't compare, but my dad has a C6 that I just drove today, and the one thing I will say it has over my C7 is the interior seems HUGE compared to my car. I know that's an exaggeration, but it felt like I was swimming in the seat compared to my C7, and I do not have the performance seats. The C6 definitely has more interior room than the C7, regardless of your size.

Quick Reply: C6 vs C7 new questions, I swear