Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tony Mamo heads, cam, ported msd install

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:39 AM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Tony Mamo heads, cam, ported msd install

As some of you have already read in another thread I just got the results of my Tony "Mamofied" H/C/I install. The numbers were a shocking 642/552 SAE on a dynojet that does not give numbers away. Dyno was done on stock rims and tires. C6Z's that have put down 605-610rwhp on this dyno have trapped 140mph in the 1/4 mile. This should give you an idea how good these numbers are. I was beyond happy with the numbers. I am still shocked. I think the previous highest H/C/I C6Z dyno'd 620 on this dyno. People who use this well known tuner (Matt at GP Tuning) and dyno in the bay area(Hayward) California know just how impressive these numbers are. This was tuned for E65. 1/4 tank 91 and 3/4 tank E85 out of the local pump.

My build...
-Mantic twin disk clutch
-2" ARH and Corsa catback
-Tony Mamo heads(trick flow castings)(12.25:1 CR)
-Tony Mamo spec'd cam(247/261 114 PM Tony for exact specs)
-Tony Mamo ported MSD intake
-Tony Mamo spec'd Yellow Terra rockers specifically for his heads
-Nick Williams 102 TB
-ATI super damper 10% pulley
-Halltech MF103
-flex fuel kit supplied by Matt GP Tuning
-injectors supplied by Matt GP Tuning
-Walbro E85 fuel pump
-Stock LS7 block

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this build. Matt at GP Tuning for a great tune and all of his help. He is one of the best tuners I have ever used(and I have used a lot). Also, Josh and Adam at JRG Motorsports for doing my install. I have used Josh for the last 10 years and he is the best in the area. This is my 3rd or 4th Z he has worked on for me. I have never had an issue with any of his work,top notch. I CAN NOT say the same for other shops in the area.

A special thanks to Tony who spec'd my build. I called Tony to order a ported and shaved MSD. While ordering the MSD he tried to convince me to try his new heads and use a cam he spec'd to go along with the Mamofied MSD. I was hesitant at first because I have had great success with stage 2 WCCH. I am sooooo glad he convinced me to give his heads and cam a shot. These numbers destroy my previous 3 H/C/I installs I had done in the past and all of my cars had big cams. Not only were the results amazing but his customer service is the best of the best. He went above and beyond what any vender has ever done to help me in the past. He took my phone calls and responded to all my emails(and there were a lot!) He talked with Josh multiple times to help with getting this install absolutely perfect. This was Josh's first time installing one of Tony's combos I believe.
Bottom line is give Tony a call if you want a the best of the best. His work is top notch. If any of you are considering his heads and intake, consider no longer. You will be more than happy as I am.
I can't wait to see what she will do against some local cars I know and i will hopefully be going to Shift Sector this fall. Here is a link to a vid of what it sounds like at idle.

View this post on Instagram
Attached Images   

Last edited by C6Z06C6; 08-14-2016 at 02:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6Z06C6:
1qwkc6z06 (12-17-2017), Josh B. (08-14-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 12:04 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Very impressive !!!! I talked to Tony when I got my ported MSD last year about using his heads sometime in the future, so it's great to see Tony's setup putting down big numbers. Hope to hear you back up the dyno numbers with solid ET and MPH at your future events !!!

congrats !!!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:26 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome results. I've talked to tony about a set of these heads as well. If I decide to stay n/a this is the route I will go. Any idea how much difference the e65 makes vs straight 93?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

What are these "Mamo heads".... ??? The Trick Flow's or OE castings?

Are the rockers the YT's that Tony has been talking about?
Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by southspeed
Awesome results. I've talked to tony about a set of these heads as well. If I decide to stay n/a this is the route I will go. Any idea how much difference the e65 makes vs straight 93?
Probably not much at all. You will have to go with a 12.0:1 compression instead of 12.25:1 which i did. I would imagine only a few hp tops
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (12-28-2017)
Old 08-12-2016, 03:03 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael_D

They are the trick flow castings and yes the YT's Tony has been talking about
Michael_D (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

From the pics they look like the standard YT UL for LS7's.. And imagining the spring rate and cam profiles involved (what it takes to make that kind of power), I don't predict they will have a long life in that setup.

And you can see the Trickflow logo in the pics.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
From the pics they look like the standard YT UL for LS7's.. And imagining the spring rate and cam profiles involved (what it takes to make that kind of power), I don't predict they will have a long life in that setup.
Common Dan, you're smarter than that. Power level does not mandate higher spring rates. And Tony has been saying he's working with YT to come up with a different design. I'll wait to hear from Tony on that.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:13 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Ill let Tony chime in on that but i think you are wrong. Haters going to hate!

Last edited by C6Z06C6; 08-12-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Common Dan, you're smarter than that. Power level does not mandate higher spring rates. And Tony has been saying he's working with YT to come up with a different design. I'll wait to hear from Tony on that.
To a point - I am sure that cam has "baby lobes" with that "hot for teacher" idle pattern and cranking out over 600 NA HP..
Old 08-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
Ill let Tony chime in on that but i think you are wrong. Haters going to hate!
Not hating at all dude - just throwing down the flag of caution. Hell, I am one of the very few CF members that have promoted the use of YT's for the last 12 years - everyone else thinks they are crap (I have the same rockers on my car).

On "the different YT design", I am all

If these YT's have beefed-up p-rod cup and trunnion areas, that would be excellent, and a winning combination.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-12-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Stock LS7 block? I apologize if you mentioned it already.

I am curious to have Tony's input on using his stuff in a roadrace application. I personally just want the car to run on readily available 93 as I don't want to carry 150 gallons of fuel to the track every event.

Car makes fabulous power. Plenty of torque (400 +) early which makes me very interested. Enjoy it!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

To a point - I am sure that cam has "baby lobes" with that "hot for teacher" idle pattern and cranking out over 600 NA HP..
I've got 355 CID small blocks making over 600hp with stock spring rates.

Spring rate is driven by peak rpm, lobe profile and valve side mass.

Enough on that.....

I want to know more about the heads. What are valves used, what seats are being used, which CNC profile was used (full on race, street, etc), and most importantly - off idle characteristics.

Seeing the cam duration has a 15 deg split, and that Tony spec'd the cam, I am a bit surprised to see that much of a split after following his comments regarding the level of effort he puts into the exhaust port. Frankly, I was hoping for a cylinder head that I could run a much tighter LCA.
HC Mechanic (12-16-2017)
Old 08-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

I've got 355 CID small blocks making over 600hp with stock spring rates.

Spring rate is driven by peak rpm, lobe profile and valve side mass.

Enough on that.....

I want to know more about the heads. What are valves used, what seats are being used, which CNC profile was used (full on race, street, etc), and most importantly - off idle characteristics.

Seeing the cam duration has a 15 deg split, and that Tony spec'd the cam, I am a bit surprised to see that much of a split after following his comments regarding the level of effort he puts into the exhaust port. Frankly, I was hoping for a cylinder head that I could run a much tighter LCA.
Fair enough - I am in for the details as well (intake / exhaust valves, lobe lift, spring rate / pre-load).

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-12-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Stock LS7 block? I apologize if you mentioned it already.

I am curious to have Tony's input on using his stuff in a roadrace application. I personally just want the car to run on readily available 93 as I don't want to carry 150 gallons of fuel to the track every event.

Car makes fabulous power. Plenty of torque (400 +) early which makes me very interested. Enjoy it!
Yes it is a stock LS7 block
Racingswh (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 05:40 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

The car has a stock LS7 short block with a cam, johnson lifters, Mamo ported TFS 260 castings, YTRockers, ported MSD manifold, 2" headers, flex fuel kit, E85 rated Walbro 450 pump and 57lb at 4 bar injectors. Compression in the low 12s and tuning of course.

Mantic 9000 twin gets the power to the ground.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Wow! Mamo is a bad ****.

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Mamo heads, cam, ported msd install

Old 08-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

C6Z06C6, awesome build! Tony knows his stuff. I'm doing a little build with Tony Mamo Sportsmans heads and his spec'd Yella Terra rockers.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:48 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

Guys,

As I stated in another thread discussing this package, I'm absolutely thrilled with the results. It exceeded my expectations or certainly met the most I could have legitimately hoped for and it was a pleasure working with and dealing with Dan (the owner) thru the course of this project (which took months). The power curve is wide and flat and it just makes big power and big torque at any RPM worth discussing (over 3500). I don't have alot of time right now but I wanted to quickly address Dan_the_C5_man's questions to make it clear for everyone

I have already stated in many of my previous posts (in various different threads) that I am using TFS castings for my new LS7 program (so no surprise it has TFS on the end pad although they are working on including my logo in future castings). Note I could have used Brodix (and almost did) but the TFS were more cost effective for me and more importantly for you guys as well (I could sell them for less money net) and the castings are excellent quality.

The rockers I had Yella Terra make and while they may look a little similar to a stock LS7 Ultralite they are not the same at all. I waited 6 months for the completion of these rockers and they are dedicated to my new LS7 head.....hell the box says Mamo heads right next to the part number.....LOL (the pile on the right side of the shelf is the LS7 HR rocker for my heads....PN 6754

I want to chime back in here and hit a few other things but I'm buried in emails now.....will revisit this thread soon!

Cheers,
Tony

PS.....Here is pic of my new SR rocker arm I had specifically built for these heads and the HR version (non adjustable) that Dan is running to the left

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 08-13-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:58 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is the problem with Tony, every time I talked to him I spend money, hahaha. Nice work, very impressive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Whis9:
HC Mechanic (12-16-2017), The Highlander (10-15-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tony Mamo heads, cam, ported msd install