C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinion on 66 with ASPT title

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Rich109
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinion on 66 with ASPT title

I am looking at a 66 vert. Has a FL title that shows a 66 VIN but make is listed as ASPT which means it was ASsembled with ParTs. Car is a 427 with tri-power but no numbers on deck/BB hood/ 4 speed/ side pipes/ power steering. Car is candy apple red with white/black interior. Body looks good but does have slightly flared fenders. Prior owner had the car for 20 yrs, passed away and wife sold car to current owner 4 yrs ago. Headlights need work and I assume other small issues. Owner wants to sell but says to make offer. Anyone got opinions on this? Any idea on value? Obvious not a collector car but would be a fun toy. Just don't want to purchase and then down the road find I can't sell for some reason.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sounds like a Frankenvette; I don't understand the 66 VIN with ASPT title designation....THE ASPT is nearly always in concert with a state issued VIN; my understanding is if the original VIN is on the frame you can modify the car to hell and gone and it will still retain the VIN and will NOT be an ASPT title.

I'd do some more homework on that - something's funky.... I'd only pay a 'fun toy' price which wouldn't even be close to a real car price...hard to say what that is without more info...
Old 08-24-2016, 06:37 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

That's a new one on me as well. We need a lot more information here.

Things like what state issued the ASPT title.

Richard Newton
Historical Racing Images
Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with doing more homework on the car. You could easily run into different year parts issues when trying to repair it and getting things up to speed.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Vin

At the least, get a picture of the VIN and Trim tag. I have never heard of a ASPT in Florida. Jerry
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Commonly used for "Special Construction Projects" - hand built motorcycles, hovercraft, etc... and yes in Florida:
http://www.motorcycle-manufacturer-l...on-process.htm

In fact this clause is what raised my eyebrows; could just be a bureaucratic screw-up, different state, different rules or maybe a 'cloud' over the title. I'd want to be dead sure before I bought this thing. This snippet is off the Florida application form for an ASPT title.
"Kit vehicle" can be a manufacturer's kit (the old Meyer's Manx for VWs -- remember those) or parts of various vehicles married to an original chassis...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-24-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

In California, they are called reconstructed vehicles and have 'SALVAGE' on the title. Car has to be wrecked and rebuilt to be a salvage car....bought back from the insurance company. Greatly affects the value out here, due to the car's being wrecked/totaled and brought back. Otherwise, if it's just a beat to hell car, and not in the system as an insurance buy-back from a loss, all you need is the cowl with the VIN tag (or door post, or steering column in a C1's case) and you can assemble a complete car from parts and it will be legitimate 100%. I would also think that an 'assembled from parts' car would be a dune buggy, kit car, etc. Not a C2 Corvette!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Is that the one thats been floating around Fla for a couple years? It was on Ebay a couple years ago and had the family all near the car. Red with black stinger? You sure its a real car and not a built car?

Any chance on posting pictures?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:26 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Is that the one thats been floating around Fla for a couple years? It was on Ebay a couple years ago and had the family all near the car. Red with black stinger? You sure its a real car and not a built car?

Any chance on posting pictures?

What is the difference between a "built" car and a car that has been ''rebuilt or restored" from a basket case using used and aftermarket "reproduction" parts that have counterfeit date stamps on them to mimic originality.

Some of these restored cars using reproduction or restoration parts have a higher foreign content than a Toyota.

Bill
Old 08-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Rich109
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
What is the difference between a "built" car and a car that has been ''rebuilt or restored" from a basket case using used and aftermarket "reproduction" parts that have counterfeit date stamps on them to mimic originality.

Some of these restored cars using reproduction or restoration parts have a higher foreign content than a Toyota.

Bill

Here are a few pics of car. I had a friend look at it (quick look) and based on his opinion he suggested a max of $20K. Car would just be a driver and will require some $$ to fix the inop things. He also said he would pull the tripower setup and sell it and then install with a 4 bbl.
Attached Images     
Old 08-25-2016, 03:37 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Great looking car....you couldn't come even close to building it for 20k. Out where I am, that car would be over 30 and closer to 40 even with its title issues.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Great looking car....you couldn't come even close to building it for 20k. Out where I am, that car would be over 30 and closer to 40 even with its title issues.
totally agree (based on what I could see with the pics provided), assuming the body, frame, bird cage are all sound it's a easy 40k car IMO
Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Well here in Alabama if the VIN tag on the z-bar is original than that is a 1966 Corvette.

Last edited by Mr D.; 08-25-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

The car I was talking about was on a reproduction body. That car isnt . Its easily worth the 20k
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Although it won't satisfy the purists and originality fanatics it sure looks like a great driver. Assuming your not getting in it to flip and will run it for a few years how it resells years down the road should not be a determining factor. My opinion is closer to 30K rather than doom it to a 20K selling price.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
That's at least a $35k car around here, probably more. Heck, it's worth more than the $20k some folks are stating just as a donor for a restomod!

I do agree with removing the 3-2s set up and replacing it with a 4bbl. No '66 ever came with 3-2s, and you could probably make a few bucks net by selling the old set up.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Assembled from parts

Originally Posted by Rich109
I am looking at a 66 vert. Has a FL title that shows a 66 VIN but make is listed as ASPT which means it was ASsembled with ParTs. Car is a 427 with tri-power but no numbers on deck/BB hood/ 4 speed/ side pipes/ power steering. Car is candy apple red with white/black interior. Body looks good but does have slightly flared fenders. Prior owner had the car for 20 yrs, passed away and wife sold car to current owner 4 yrs ago. Headlights need work and I assume other small issues. Owner wants to sell but says to make offer. Anyone got opinions on this? Any idea on value? Obvious not a collector car but would be a fun toy. Just don't want to purchase and then down the road find I can't sell for some reason.
More commonly used title up in northern states. If you want a driver that you can always sell buy it & have a lot of fun with it . I like custom cars . Just remember dont sink a lot of $ in it cause it will never sell for high $ just a fun driver i would love to have . I like the ncrs cars but cant afford to own one. Just need a driver pm me if you need more help . been fooling with c2s since the 70s

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on 66 with ASPT title

Quick Reply: Opinion on 66 with ASPT title