C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mls Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Mls Gaskets

goods and bad in MLS multi Layered head gaskets
Old 08-24-2016, 03:37 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you have clean, FLAT and SMOOTH surfaces, I would steer clear of MLS gaskets. A good performance composite gasket (fel-pro) should work unless ur running a big blower.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by illenema
goods and bad in MLS multi Layered head gaskets
My opinion, the only downside to a MLS gasket is their cost. I have never had a MLS gasket fail but I have had a few sets of composite gaskets fail. With a MLS gasket you do not need to re-torque your head bolts after the break-in heat cycle and that alone is well worth it to me. Pulling the headers to get at the head bolts is a pain.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:09 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
My opinion, the only downside to a MLS gasket is their cost. I have never had a MLS gasket fail but I have had a few sets of composite gaskets fail. With a MLS gasket you do not need to re-torque your head bolts after the break-in heat cycle and that alone is well worth it to me. Pulling the headers to get at the head bolts is a pain.
As good an argument I recall seeing regarding WHY the MLS gaskets.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:32 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Many MLS gaskets are designed for aluminum head motors though you would think the composite gasket better for aluminum. IIRC the MLS gasket has enough graphite where it's needed. And for some reason I can't explain it is highly recommended for iron block/aluminum head combinations.

Hope this can help.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

The real advantage to MLS gaskets is that they more evenly distribute the clamping load across the entire sealing surfaces of the head and block. Because of the way MLS gaskets are manufactured.... they are basically one continuous homogenous material, one being layered on top of the other.

You can't approach this type of load distribution across sealing surfaces with a composite gasket that is comprised of steel or copper sealing rings surrounded with resin impregnated fiber or paper.....

MLS's only downfall (performance wise) is conformability to imperfections in the sealing surface... but MLS manufactures have made great strides in this area with coatings and educating machinist about the importance of machined surface finish.

Realistically MLS has drawbacks in many applications because of cost. MLS gasket can be 2X the cost of a comparable composite gasket for some applications. Not to mention some applications may not ever need or be able to take advantage of the performance advantages that a MLS gasket can offer.

We try to use MLS when there is a proper gasket available for the application in most high performance builds we do these days but there are some combinations were composite gaskets are still a very good choice.
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 08-24-2016 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:20 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

great for high compression engines !

Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

is there a best recommendation for aluminum to steel like a post 86.5 L98?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:09 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
is there a best recommendation for aluminum to steel like a post 86.5 L98?
have a search in summit racing, they have a big selection, just choose the bore and compressed thickness that you need.

Get notified of new replies

To Mls Gaskets

Quick Reply: Mls Gaskets