Sponsored by:

Question about 2017 new order

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Selena Morgan Elmore
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 2017 new order

My hubby and I ordered a 2017 2LT Corvette convertible in May, and it arrived yesterday! However, we ordered it with a Z-51 style rear spoiler and it was not added at the plant. The dealer is telling us that it must come from somewhere else and be added by their service department. We are having to wait on it or take the car without for now. Is this standard practice? We want to be sure that we aren't being given a line and having a bad experience with our dealership. We also ordered custom floormats and those are not here yet either. Any information from other buyers?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Question: Do you have a copy of your original order?
The following users liked this post:
Selena Morgan Elmore (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Selena Morgan Elmore
Cruising

Yes, and it shows the spoiler.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would call Chevy Customer Service and ask them to see why you were shorted the parts.
Seems rather weird that the plant would build a car and omit parts. If they were on constraint perhaps the dealer OKed the build hoping that you would assume that it was Bowling Greens fault.
I would think that the dealer would get the parts for you and install without charge, although the rear fascia has to come off for the Z51 spoiler so there might be some hassle there.
Ya'll should not have accepted the car as it was not as you ordered it, thus giving the dealer a chance to have a new car in stock while they reordered yours with the proper build.
Best bet is that Chevy Customer Service finds out for you.
It seems to me that there is something amiss here. Every car I have ordered came exactly as I ordered it from the factory. That includes Corvettes, Fords, Pontiac and others.
You could also call one of the larger forum dealers and ask them for their take on your problem, Mike at Criswell comes to mind as he appears to be an alright guy, same for Dave at Kerbeck.
The following 2 users liked this post by rcooper:
itaylorm (08-25-2016), Selena Morgan Elmore (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:08 PM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Strange, the order I placed just a couple weeks ago was not accepted since I optioned a Z51 spoiler, and it was not on constraint. As soon as it was removed from the order it went to code 2000 right away. However, you have a different problem and I am positive that if need be the dealer's GM will make it right, albeit you may have a wait for the spoiler. For me I am buying one when the car comes in from the aftermarket that is identical and less than even what I could have got it for with my GM employee pricing.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Optional floor mats are dealer installed. A z51 spoiler on a Non-z51 car would also be dealer installed.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:32 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

What does the factory sticker indicate?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

with getting Chevy Customer Service involved and see what they say. Hopefully it all works out for you with the least bit of hassle.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:41 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if ordering a Z51 spoiler on a non-Z51 car was a dealer add-on. That's true of add-on options w/ a lot of manufacturers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Rebel Yell (08-25-2016), Selena Morgan Elmore (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:36 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

We here in my area have also encountered certain options that come on some Corvettes and some other Corvettes they don't. One strange case was the Spoiler, it was available on some colors but some colors it showed up for the dealer to install. The color involved here was Long Beach Red. Strange and we never did get an intelligent response. The optional under hood liner also took so long to show up that finally my friend refused to take it when it finally arrived. So, What I am saying is the dealer could be telling the truth here.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:23 AM
Selena Morgan Elmore
Cruising

Thank you all for your answers. I have a call in to Mike at the Corvette plant (we live in Nashville, so had dealings with him regarding the car already). I will get his take too. I also reached out to Dave at Kerbeck because we have communicated over a previous Vette buy. We haven't take possession of the car until this afternoon either but want to be sure that all is right before we sign on the dotted line.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:27 AM
Selena Morgan Elmore
Cruising

Default Another question

This is our trade-in. It is a 2004 Commemorative Edition with 97000 miles on it. It is in good condition with new tires. We have looked at KBB and see the market value is from $11000 to $13000. However, the dealer wants to give us $8500. We think that is because we have the GM employee discount and he is trying to recoup some of that money. I know you can't tell me for certain just from the picture, but do any of you think this is a lowball offer?

Last edited by Selena Morgan Elmore; 08-25-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

If you ordered a non Z51 car but with the Z51 spoiler it is considered a LPO and is installed at the dealership. The spoiler is supposed to be delivered to the dealer by his ADM before the car gets there.

If your dealer gets Corvettes shipped directly from BG by trucks (no train) it is possible that the car arrived before the accessories, but not usually.

Have your rep check his parts department to see if they have a box with your VIN on it sitting in the back.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

The following 4 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
laborsmith (08-25-2016), Rebel Yell (08-25-2016), robertbruce (08-25-2016), Selena Morgan Elmore (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:32 AM
Selena Morgan Elmore
Cruising

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
If you ordered a non Z51 car but with the Z51 spoiler it is considered a LPO and is installed at the dealership. The spoiler is supposed to be delivered to the dealer by his ADM before the car gets there.

If your dealer gets Corvettes shipped directly from BG by trucks (no train) it is possible that the car arrived before the accessories, but not usually.

Have your rep check his parts department to see if they have a box with your VIN on it sitting in the back.

Dave
Thank you, Dave. I feel much better knowing that this is a standard practice. We actually live in Nashville, so I would think the car was probably trucked. Also, would you give me your thoughts on the $8500 trade-in offer for the 2004 Comm. Edition? I know you can't see the inside but it is very clean and has been babied and garage-kept for 7 years.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 AM
Selena Morgan Elmore
Cruising

Thank you, Dave. Knowing your experience and expertise, your reply has calmed some of my concerns. Now, I just need to see where the spoiler is and when we can get it installed. Also, I hope we aren't being taken advantage of on the price of our trade-in. We don't know whether it is better to pay cash and try to sell the car on our own or take the cut in price and avoid the hassle.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

Dave

What about in my case then, for the 2017 order I placed? GM kicked the order out because I had optioned the ""Body color Z51 Design Rear Spoiler"? If it matters the car is Yellow. The dealer had to remove the spoiler and then GM picked up the order.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:25 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Like others have said I think the dealer installs. I ordered my 2016 with the finder guards or mud flaps as we called them in the old days and they came with the car but dealer had to install them. No problem they will make it happen. Enjoy the new ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about 2017 new order

Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by Selena Morgan Elmore
Thank you, Dave. I feel much better knowing that this is a standard practice. We actually live in Nashville, so I would think the car was probably trucked. Also, would you give me your thoughts on the $8500 trade-in offer for the 2004 Comm. Edition? I know you can't see the inside but it is very clean and has been babied and garage-kept for 7 years.
Being in Nashville I'm sure your car got there before the spoiler. Have your dealer's parts department call the ADM and let them know the car is already there. Usually they can get it the next day.

As far as a trade, I really don't see C5s very often so I don't have a feel. I can tell you that you will always do better selling a car privately. You just have to decide how much your time is worth to get involved in selling a car privately. Check out Kelley Blue Book and see what it says about Private Sale value and then decide if worth the time.

Dave
Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
What about in my case then, for the 2017 order I placed? GM kicked the order out because I had optioned the ""Body color Z51 Design Rear Spoiler"? If it matters the car is Yellow. The dealer had to remove the spoiler and then GM picked up the order.
I'm not sure what the problem was but if they pulled the spoiler from the order than you won't be getting it with the car. You'd have to call their parts department and have them order one as an accessory.

Dave
Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

Being in Nashville I'm sure your car got there before the spoiler. Have your dealer's parts department call the ADM and let them know the car is already there. Usually they can get it the next day.

As far as a trade, I really don't see C5s very often so I don't have a feel. I can tell you that you will always do better selling a car privately. You just have to decide how much your time is worth to get involved in selling a car privately. Check out Kelley Blue Book and see what it says about Private Sale value and then decide if worth the time.

Dave

And don't forget about the tax savings when you trade...I assume they do that in your state?

Quick Reply: Question about 2017 new order