C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacement distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:13 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement distributor?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever bought a new Accel distributor or a new MSD distributor or a rebuilt A.C Delco
I'm gonna do a whole ignition tune up and wondering what brand to use
Thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 01:34 AM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 pacer eric
I was just wondering if anyone has ever bought a new Accel distributor or a new MSD distributor or a rebuilt A.C Delco
I'm gonna do a whole ignition tune up and wondering what brand to use
Thanks
If cost is no issue, then by all means treat your Corvette to some MSD components. It's quality and beauty all rolled into one, with a big price tag of course.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:46 AM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

But why MSD their is a reason that is your vote and why that is the point of this PRO and CON I have heard MSD is good but at the same time from the guy behind the counter that they do not have any customer service and once you have their kit that's it you have to use their product's BUT on the other hand ACCEL isn't a quality product and A.C DELCO is just Chinese garbage from what I hear so that's why I'm asking who has actually put one of their distributors in is it as easy as plug and play like they say what model did you get according to the internet a c-4 corvette uses BOTH computer control and non computer control summit raceing says that you can use both vacuum advanced or not so their is a little more to this than just that's the most expensive it must be the best you know just like what deck do you get single or double?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a race and see what the winners are running. Most likely it`ll be an MSD.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:43 AM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

I'm not running a race and guys at race tracks have sponsers what is the average guy useing what is the normal corvette owner useing
Old 08-25-2016, 06:32 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I'm not running a race and guys at race tracks have sponsers what is the average guy useing what is the normal corvette owner useing
Why do you feel you need a distributor? If you've no physical issues with the housing/main-shaft (wobble/worn bearings etc) then there's no need to even consider a purchase.

With the exception of one harness and grommet everything is easily purchased. There's multiple solutions for the NLA deteriorated grommet for the harness.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-25-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Why do you feel you need a distributor? If you've no physical issues with the housing/main-shaft (wobble/worn bearings etc) then there's no need to even consider a purchase.

With the exception of one harness and grommet everything is easily purchased. There's multiple solutions for the NLA deteriorated grommet for the harness.
- I've got to ask the same thing. if no physical or mechanical issues, not sure why - ??? the OP says;
I'm gonna do a whole ignition tune up...
again, why replace the distributor for a tune up? somewhat costly, and i'm not sure the OP will see any performance gains. i'd just go with an improved cap and rotor (vs. OE), and maybe an upgraded (ignition) coil. BTW, I once upgraded a stock coil for a MSD upgraded replacement. to be honest, never noticed any difference on a stock L98.

speaking of distributors, one thing I might add -- when I disassembled my 85's distributor for service and reconditioning, I noted the outer insulation on the pick-up coil (not the ignition coil) was deteriorated to the point that it was somewhat non-existent. I carefully cleaned all remaining insulation from the coil, and wrapped several layers of Teflon tape as an insulator. been on the car several months now, a couple thousand miles, and many heat cycles with no issues. ...just a little FYI -

Last edited by Joe C; 08-25-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

But why MSD their is a reason that is your vote and why that is the point of this PRO and CON I have heard MSD is good but at the same time from the guy behind the counter that they do not have any customer service and once you have their kit that's it you have to use their product's BUT on the other hand ACCEL isn't a quality product and A.C DELCO is just Chinese garbage from what I hear so that's why I'm asking who has actually put one of their distributors in is it as easy as plug and play like they say what model did you get according to the internet a c-4 corvette uses BOTH computer control and non computer control summit raceing says that you can use both vacuum advanced or not so their is a little more to this than just that's the most expensive it must be the best you know just like what deck do you get single or double?
MSD is the best, period. That is just that.

I've installed lots of MSD distributors on both TPI and LT1 engines, every single one was very nice and had no issues...

Depending what year you have will determine what distributor you will need to buy, but I tend to lean towards the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. I'd buy an MSD distributor if I had extra cash to burn and needed a new distributor.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

I also feel that for reliability, you can't beat OEM ignition. MSD might be on a lot of race cars, but that doesn't mean it's the BEST for all applications....or even the best. Most race cars run carbs. Proof that carbs are the best?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:45 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by SELLC
If cost is no issue, then by all means treat your Corvette to some MSD components. It's quality and beauty all rolled into one, with a big price tag of course.
well, the only time i've ever exeperienced msd was when i realized the msd coil i bought new was toasted.

something inside it had failed and caused te spark to be non-existant most of the time, and very weak every once in a while.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 08-25-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

I also feel that for reliability, you can't beat OEM ignition. MSD might be on a lot of race cars, but that doesn't mean it's the BEST for all applications....or even the best. Most race cars run carbs. Proof that carbs are the best?
Win a race on Sunday, sell a car on Monday is about how it usually is.

Here is a different twist. I don't have the stock unit for a couple of reasons. I have an MSD and there is NO WAY the big cap will work. Also, it seems like, at least around me, the shops have a cap and rotor for an MSD 8366 more readily than the stock. Not sure I like the idea of a cap and a coil together. IIRC, the distributor was having a rough spot and I decided not to rebuild and got a good deal on an MSD.

I like the MSD wires also because I got a good deal with the purchase of the wires and the MSD crimper which I absolutely love.

That all said, I have no issue going with an ACCEL distributor or MSD depending on the price I was getting.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
well, the only time i've ever exeperienced msd was when i realized the msd coil i bought new was toasted.

something inside it had failed and caused te spark to be non-existant most of the time, and very weak every once in a while.
I know the Jetski people have referred to MSD as My Spark Died.

That said, I had an MSD divorced coil in the F-body and bought a high tower one for my Vette and bought yet another one because the guys working on it broke it and it was available at the local shop but the ACCEL unit would take a bit longer to get here and I didn't want the car down.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Msd

The only product I bought from MSD went bad in one month.If you buy there distributor and happen to touch the wrong wire to ground by accident you will smoke the modual.A replacement modual will cost you almost as much as a whole new distributor.Racers run dual MSD setups.So if one takes a dump they have a backup
Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by steven mack
If you buy there distributor and happen to touch the wrong wire to ground by accident you will smoke the modual.

A replacement modual will cost you almost as much as a whole new distributor.Racers run dual MSD setups.So if one takes a dump they have a backup
Not sure how that happened to you but how would you happen to touch the wrong wire to ground? Which wire is that?

What module? My 8366 wasn't that expensive the last time I replaced it which was 2 months ago and it lasted for almost 10 years.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:56 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

The reason I'm doing the tune up is #1 it's an 86 and it's old #2 a while ago I did the dance with her were the coil went out then module then pick up coil and so on
So with that being said I'm not doing the cat and mouse game I just want to replace the whole thing distributor wire's plugs and so on
And just keep the original as a back up and drive easy for the next 100k miles and focus on funner projects for the car
Old 08-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

...the coil went out then module then pick up coil and so on...I'm not doing the cat and mouse game I just want to replace the whole thing
I hear you...but the only parts in the distributor that typically have ANY issues, is the module. Some times the coil, and very rarely, the pick up coil. The rest of the distributor is a steel shaft, a couple bushings, and the aluminum casting. Those parts don't wear out. So, you CAN buy a new one, to avoid chasing mice and cats...but I don't see any value in doing so, at all. With a new cap, rotor, pick up coil, module and coil...all you need to do to yours is sand blast or etching clean your body and you've got a "rebuilt distributor"....basically.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The reason I'm doing the tune up is #1 it's an 86 and it's old #2 a while ago I did the dance with her were the coil went out then module then pick up coil and so on
So with that being said I'm not doing the cat and mouse game I just want to replace the whole thing distributor wire's plugs and so on
And just keep the original as a back up and drive easy for the next 100k miles and focus on funner projects for the car
If you are going that far, you can definitely solder a couple wires together or get a modified harness to accommodate the small cap distributor. I never did it on the original so IDK but it looks easier to do on the small cap with the divorced coil.

After which you can do a HSR, cam, heads, gears, transmission, motor....... I'm like the government. I can definitely spend other people's money well

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement distributor?

Old 08-25-2016, 03:56 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

I hear you guy's on why replace the whole thing and I'll tell you WHY first off I'm an otr driver and when I say I got minutes a month to spend with the car I'm not lieing between family and other things minutes is all I have and I don't want to waste them fixing instead of driving so with that being said
I f***** up and thought I could go to angies list and find a tech WRONG not in California just like the guy a few post ago said when someone else. Is paying for it sky is the limit and that is exactly what happened 800 💰 in and NO START and the guy's telling my wife it's gonna need a new exhaust
So I had to take the vette 344 miles just to get it started and NOW I can start fixing it all over again and since the last known start point was when we went from code 42 to just a flat code 12 and she does sometimes have that hard start so I'm just thinking distributor wire's and plugs is just the logical get back on track move pull the original rebuild it understand it and have a replacement ready to go ok now we are up to speed
Old 08-25-2016, 04:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I hear you guy's on why replace the whole thing and I'll tell you WHY first off I'm an otr driver and when I say I got minutes a month to spend with the car I'm not lieing between family and other things minutes is all I have and I don't want to waste them fixing instead of driving so with that being said

I f***** up and thought I could go to angies list and find a tech WRONG not in California just like the guy a few post ago said when someone else.

Is paying for it sky is the limit and that is exactly what happened 800 💰 in and NO START and the guy's telling my wife it's gonna need a new exhaust

So I had to take the vette 344 miles just to get it started and NOW I can start fixing it all over again and since the last known start point was when we went from code 42 to just a flat code 12 and she does sometimes have that hard start so I'm just thinking distributor wire's and plugs is just the logical get back on track move pull the original rebuild it understand it and have a replacement ready to go ok now we are up to speed
Well, I absolutely agree with your POV when you put it that way. Some people have more time and others like you, not so much. Depends on your personal goals. I don't want to buy tools I will use one time in 10 years so some of the jobs, I let others do it. I'm not going to struggle for a day to do motor mounts in a garage using floor jacks when I can get someone to do it for 2 hours on a lift.

Here is the problem with that approach. Who writes the reviews? Some numb nuts that don't know squat about a car? WGAS? You tell me your MD was good. WGAS? What exactly do you know? Zip. If another MD I know who doesn't benefit from the transaction tells me Dr Smith is good, fine. When I need a load or a car transferred from Point A to Point B, I'll ask you. Bottom line is you need to find someone from a bunch of car nuts that know what they are doing and send the item there.

My wife has a Masters degree and a Post Masters. She is able to jump start your heart, treat many illnesses, wounds, etc, etc. I deal with the car. All she has to say is there is a yellow light and I end the conversation. She does not say a word to the mechanic since they will either screw her over and not in the good way or they will get confused. I pay for the repair and all she does it get the keys. Any questions, refer to me. When we go to the doctor, she has already decided what we need to do and the doctor basically is there, for the most part to write it down so we can file insurance. My MD has been known to call me and say "Your labs are in. Can I talk to your wife?". I just nod my head and look smart and sign off whatever they decide to do. A skirt goes into the garage and she is likely to get screwed over.

Perhaps someone in your area can spend a few hours helping you diagnose while you are out? Maybe if you post a "Help wanted" in the forum here? If I was nearby, I'd certainly go play with your car for a bit
Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

Well good I'm not the only one see things that way and it does suck but it's true big city big scammers you don't have problems like that in small town America
The vette does run but it is sketchy to drive far cause their is all ways that what if she doesn't start fear
Honestly what I would like is someone who actually knows what their doing look it over not someone who says a Chevy is a Chevy they are all the same
Just get the car back to right and get back to living
So if ANYONE knows of a real tech in southern California let me know

Quick Reply: Replacement distributor?