Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette for first car thoughts?

Old 08-25-2016, 04:25 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Corvette for first car thoughts?

My best friend gave my son his 1992 LT1 C4 for a present - nice friend - and pretty much everyone I know says I'm crazy to let my son have the car. My son is turning 15 next week and won't be getting his learner's permit until February, so I have some time before he actually can drive it.

My son is a straight A student, and is a very responsible young man. He has been riding dirt bikes since he was seven and although he'a a good rider, he's not a hot rod risk taker, and perfers to just ride at a comfortible pace.

He assures me he will be cool when he drives it, and knows it will be taken away if he gets any ticket for a speeding or reckless infraction. He is even okay with getting the little device you plug into the car to monitor it from your computer.

My wife and I are both confident he will not screw up his chance to own and drive this car, but my mother-in-law is dead set against it, as well as most of our friends.

Are there any other Corvette owners out there that started off with one and managed to live through the ordeal?

Below is my son and his car on one of our rides.

Last edited by CA1992C4; 08-25-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Better photo
Old 08-25-2016, 04:33 PM
kostas86
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds like your son will be respectful and enjoy the Vette. I too got into performance cars really young and while I occassionally would open them up, I was very respectful and not wreckless. So, I definitely understand that there are young drivers out there mature enough to have a sports car. My kids are still young and far from driving age but as long as they are responsible and respectful, I have no reason to not buy them something fun.
The following users liked this post:
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:41 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

I would not let my son have this car if I thought he was going to hurt himself in it, but just about everyone else feels that might happen. I know him, and how he acts, and we have talked about this at length and I honestly feel he will be okay with it. I know there must be at least a few members on here that had one and lived to tell about it. It would be nice to tell friends and family that others have proved it's not as bad as it appears.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM
kostas86
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CA1992C4
I would not let my son have this car if I thought he was going to hurt himself in it, but just about everyone else feels that might happen. I know him, and how he acts, and we have talked about this at length and I honestly feel he will be okay with it. I know there must be at least a few members on here that had one and lived to tell about it. It would be nice to tell friends and family that others have proved it's not as bad as it appears.
If it was a Z06 maybe too much car but the C4 is great first Vette.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

It does depend on the kid and how he was taught...........who taught him to sit on it?
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Only issue I have is that maintenance on a 25 year old car is going to be an issue. Where is he getting the money and ability to fix his DD? Now if this is a project car for a Father/Son thing and he can build it up and understand what is going on, fair enough. I have no issues with him having a 500 HP car from what you describe. OTOH, I have a lot of issues giving someone a 25 year old car when they aren't "qualified" to have such a car. If he is going to school for auto repair or someone who has spent his whole childhood around cars, sure. C4 is pretty cool but having it break on you and having to diagnose and fix it and bum rides till it is done, is an issue you need to discuss.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:55 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
It does depend on the kid and how he was taught...........who taught him to sit on it?
He is a good kid and was taught well. He was trying to look cool for the photo, but it came out looking a little like a punk - he is by no means a punk.

Originally Posted by kostas86
If it was a Z06 maybe too much car but the C4 is great first Vette.
And the car is also an automatic, so that will be eaiser to learn on.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:56 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I did not start driving in a Corvette. I'm chiming in here to clarify something.

Most of the conversations on this website about "Corvette as a first car" (or any inexperienced driver getting behind the wheel of a high-powered car) usually is filled with horror stories and warnings about young people lacking discipline, lacking respect, wanting to show off... along with impulsive behavior, accidents, injuries, etc etc. These stories abound because it is very common, but it is not always the case.

By the way you describe your son, he may be an exception. He may be able to handle the car respectfully and carefully while he learns. There is only one way to find out.

Last edited by DGXR; 08-25-2016 at 04:59 PM.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:59 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
Only issue I have is that maintenance on a 25 year old car is going to be an issue. Where is he getting the money and ability to fix his DD? Now if this is a project car for a Father/Son thing and he can build it up and understand what is going on, fair enough. I have no issues with him having a 500 HP car from what you describe. OTOH, I have a lot of issues giving someone a 25 year old car when they aren't "qualified" to have such a car. If he is going to school for auto repair or someone who has spent his whole childhood around cars, sure. C4 is pretty cool but having it break on you and having to diagnose and fix it and bum rides till it is done, is an issue you need to discuss.
He has money from an inheritance, so that's not a real problem. He has turned wrenches with me for seven years on our dirt bikes, and doesn't mind working on it. We had to do some work on it to get it street ready, we pulled the display out and had batee.com repair it, and cleaned up a lot of minor stuff already. he loves cars and car shows and will work on it - I already got him the shop manual for it.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The one thing you need to do now is to talk with your insurance company. You may find out that the premiums for covering him (especially if he is the primary driver of the Corvette) will be HUGE. Who's name is on the title? That can also make a difference in premiums or even whether or not you r company will even insure him.

He may very responsible, but all it takes is for one of his friends to goad him into some "spirited" driving or some type of driving that the police call an "exhibition of speed" and he comes home with a ticket and points on his license.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

You could get hurt in a civic, if he's responsible then I see no problem with him having the car, i'd be lying to say I wouldn't push my car a bit at my age (18) but i'd consider my self fairly responsible compared to other kids my age, but...it is a car that is meant to be enjoyed, some people would enjoy just cruising and others enjoy giving it some gas.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I was very well behaved at that age but would probably have gotten in serious trouble with that car at 16. On the other hand, if you install something where you will know right away if he is speeding or not where he should be...if you are comfortable with it give it a try. Maybe give him a little more incentive and make him responsible for repairs and replacing tires.

Just my take

Last edited by markKlein; 08-25-2016 at 05:00 PM.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:04 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The one thing you need to do now is to talk with your insurance company. You may find out that the premiums for covering him (especially if he is the primary driver of the Corvette) will be HUGE. Who's name is on the title? That can also make a difference in premiums or even whether or not you r company will even insure him.

He may very responsible, but all it takes is for one of his friends to goad him into some "spirited" driving or some type of driving that the police call an "exhibition of speed" and he comes home with a ticket and points on his license.
I already have the car insured, it's in my name until he turns 18. My insurance guy needs to know when he gets his license and my son will be on all our cars and not just the C4. I have explained to my son what will happen if he doesn't honor his promise to not drive recklessly.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:07 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by markKlein
I was very well behaved at that age but would probably have gotten in serious trouble with that car at 16. On the other hand, if you install something where you will know right away if he is speeding or not where he should be...if you are comfortable with it give it a try. Maybe give him a little more incentive and make him responsible for repairs and replacing tires.

Just my take
So far my son and I have split all costs to get the car back on the road. He has been volunteering at an animal shelter all summer and now that he just started high school he is going to get a work permit to get a part time job after school. He is a go getter when it comes to work, and has worked on his grandparents ranch making extra money for years.

Last edited by CA1992C4; 08-25-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:09 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I wouldn't say the age or mileage of the car necessarily means there will be any repair work required. It's possible, sure, but only time will tell. My first Corvette had over 100k miles, and while the previous owner did replace some important components, my point is that everything always worked. Everything. And nothing failed or gave me any issues, not once. I only gave that car regular maintenance, nothing more. And regarding Corvette maintenance, it is pretty much just a Chevy. It doesn't need anything too special.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:11 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by DGXR
I wouldn't say the age or mileage of the car necessarily means there will be any repair work required. It's possible, sure, but only time will tell. My first Corvette had over 100k miles, and while the previous owner did replace some important components, my point is that everything always worked. Everything. And nothing failed or gave me any issues, not once. I only gave that car regular maintenance, nothing more. And regarding Corvette maintenance, it is pretty much just a Chevy. It doesn't need anything too special.
My buddy just replaced the opti-spark, and did a lot of other repairs. Getting the car for free really makes doing any repairs eaiser to swallow. And if the car doesn't work out, he can sell it and buy something else.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

He has money from an inheritance, so that's not a real problem. He has turned wrenches with me for seven years on our dirt bikes, and doesn't mind working on it. We had to do some work on it to get it street ready, we pulled the display out and had batee.com repair it, and cleaned up a lot of minor stuff already. he loves cars and car shows and will work on it - I already got him the shop manual for it.
Get him a scanner and I'd say he should be fine. No offense but I get leery of a kid owning a 25 year old car because I own one myself and have gotten stranded, things break, etc, etc. OTOH, I have other cars to get me around as needed that a 17 yo might not.
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette for first car thoughts?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Rusty-
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already have the car insured, it's in my name until he turns 18. My insurance guy needs to know when he gets his license and my son will be on all our cars and not just the C4. I have explained to my son what will happen if he doesn't honor his promise to not drive recklessly.
My first car was a 5.7l Camaro z28 @ 15 years of age. I worked the entire summer to pay for the blown rear and transmission (thats how i bought it) but once it was running it was a beast for it's time. I never got caught up in tickets or anything like that because i knew i would loose the car. Of course i may have ran a car here or there but i got conferrable with the car and it's power. I don't see any issues with your son driving it at all
CA1992C4 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:27 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by aklim
Get him a scanner and I'd say he should be fine. No offense but I get leery of a kid owning a 25 year old car because I own one myself and have gotten stranded, things break, etc, etc. OTOH, I have other cars to get me around as needed that a 17 yo might not.
I got him a scanner when I bought the shop manual - If I remember right you gave me the link for it. We now have four cars and a truck in the family and it's a five minute walk to school for him - if the car has trouble he will still drive one of our other cars, but that's a year away.

Last edited by CA1992C4; 08-25-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DGXR
I agree but my PO was someone who doesn't deserve the kindness of being shot at dawn. Most of my other used cars usually comes with their own brand of electrical and/or mechanical gremlin. As they say, Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum. PO is getting an FSM and if he gets a scanner and has the ability to turn wrenches, it might work out. OTOH, if his hands have never gotten dirty, well.... It will be a LONG DAY when things go south.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette for first car thoughts?