C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Loss of Power Once Warm - FI car

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power Once Warm - FI car

So I just had my motor rebuilt and I have driven it about 200 miles since. The other day I was driving to a car show at about 85 MPH when all of a sudden the car started to stumble. Oil pressure and temp was normal but every time I stepped on the gas, the car would act like I was running out of gas.

I pulled over, checked things out and could see nothing strange. The car cooled down and then it drove normal again for about 5 minutes. I thought maybe it was the sensitive CSV but the next day I started the car without the CSV connected, drove for 15 minutes and it ran perfectly. Once temp got to 180, the car started stumbling again. the same way as before.

Full tank of ethanol free gas with new tank and fuel pickup installed.

Please help diagnose if you can. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

My first thought is that fuel is not reaching the FI unit and the engine stumbles because the bowl is being run dry.

Look at the engine-mounted fuel pump and check its flow and pressure.

Look also for debris clogging the fuel filter or the fuel inlet to the FI.

An obscure possibility is that the needle/seat which admits fuel is unscrewing itself. If that happens the bowl will fill slowly, too slowly to sustain high speed engine operation. I stress, tho, that this is obscure and unlikely.

Jim
Old 08-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
My first thought is that fuel is not reaching the FI unit and the engine stumbles because the bowl is being run dry.

Look at the engine-mounted fuel pump and check its flow and pressure.

Look also for debris clogging the fuel filter or the fuel inlet to the FI.

An obscure possibility is that the needle/seat which admits fuel is unscrewing itself. If that happens the bowl will fill slowly, too slowly to sustain high speed engine operation. I stress, tho, that this is obscure and unlikely.

Jim
Jim, thank you for your quick response! I agree it sounds like fuel isn't getting to the engine, but what does it tell you that it is only happening once the car is warmed up? Before the temp reaches 180*, it accelerates great and will stay at 85 MPH with no issue. Once warm....stumbling.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:37 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Since it is temperature related, could it be a faulty ignition coil?
Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Loss of Power Once Warm - FI car

Quick Reply: Loss of Power Once Warm - FI car