C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

face to face with leo...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:25 PM
(hmmm)
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default face to face with leo...

I really like the looks of darkened side marker/brake lights, but I didn't want to be ticketed for doing so to my vette.
I read the city's statues, and that just raised further questions.
So down to the local station I went. The helpful volunteer at the front desk had an officer come out and talk with me. A section of our local law is that darkened lenses must be at a reading of 35%. Officers have the availability of equipment to obtain this reading, but both sides of the darkened item need to be accessible, such as testing window tint. This would very difficult on our tail lights, if not impossible.
Bottom line: Officer said to go ahead and tint away, just make sure that turn/brake lights are able to be seen during daylight hours.
I'm a happy man. Now to do research for the proper paint...

Last edited by (hmmm); 08-26-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-27-2016, 12:00 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

When you get a ticket, don't expect that saying "officer so and so said it was alright" will be a good defense.

You need to have red reflectors on the back of your car. I didn't dig to deeply into the laws, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something about visible distance when lighted too, which you'll most likely violate also.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:18 AM
(hmmm)
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
When you get a ticket, don't expect that saying "officer so and so said it was alright" will be a good defense.

You need to have red reflectors on the back of your car. I didn't dig to deeply into the laws, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something about visible distance when lighted too, which you'll most likely violate also.
Yes dad, I'll be good. lol j/k

I'm not looking for a get out of jail card, just what is allowed by local pd. It was mentioned that some officers can be a bit critical, but for the most part I should be fine.
I did ask about the two reflectors for the rear, and the side markers which are required to reflect, and he said that is not an issue.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Chances are that as long as you aren't being an asshat you will be just fine.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

What happens when you travel to a different state with stricter laws?
Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Mine have been tinted since 08. Got pulled over once for the tinted tails but it was just an excuse to look for other violations. Went with tinted LED tails and they are brighter than stock. And they reflect the correct color.

Now Texas has passed alaw that any modifications to lights is a safty inspection fail. Mine has passed every year.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Go for it. You will love it!
The following users liked this post:
(hmmm) (08-29-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 AM
watsonrb
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tefer

Beautiful GS vert!
Tefer (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,969 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Tefer (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tefer

That's one clean Vette! Very nice! How do you like that billit grille, and how does it attach to the car?
Old 08-27-2016, 12:31 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by User Omega
Chances are that as long as you aren't being an asshat you will be just fine.
That's pretty much it. Just like dark tinted windows or not having a front plate. You might go years without a ticket but you always run the risk.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I got Arizona legal window tint and at nite in rural areas its still tough to see.
I also did my headlights & tail lights with Lamin-X gun smoke film and light shines thru as well as reflection when outside lights hits them.
Also did side markers with Plasti-Dip and same results.
NSF

Old 08-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Originally Posted by RICH 28
That's one clean Vette! Very nice! How do you like that billit grille, and how does it attach to the car?
I like it. Installation is quite simple if my memory serves me correctly there are 4 toggle bolts that attach the billet grill directly over the oem grill.
RICH 28 (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 02:55 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by (hmmm)
I really like the looks of darkened side marker/brake lights, but I didn't want to be ticketed for doing so to my vette.
I read the city's statues, and that just raised further questions.
So down to the local station I went. The helpful volunteer at the front desk had an officer come out and talk with me. A section of our local law is that darkened lenses must be at a reading of 35%. Officers have the availability of equipment to obtain this reading, but both sides of the darkened item need to be accessible, such as testing window tint. This would very difficult on our tail lights, if not impossible.
Bottom line: Officer said to go ahead and tint away, just make sure that turn/brake lights are able to be seen during daylight hours.
I'm a happy man. Now to do research for the proper paint...
While the local LEO's may have their own individual opinion and/or interpretation of the rules and laws, they only enforce them. The courts do interpretation according to local ordinances and state laws.

Your defense to avoid a court appearance, would be to carry a copy of the applicable Idaho Title 49, Chapter 9, statute that relates to your mods. https://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title49/T49CH9.htm
If your car complies with the letter of the law, any LEO in Idaho would be hard pressed to issue you a ticket after seeing it. Local ordinances withstanding.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 08-27-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

There are so many distracted drivers out there, that I do not want to do anything that will make my taillights less visible. I do not understand why people want to darken/blacken the taillights! It make NO good sense what so ever. Screw the looks I do not want some dingbat hitting me in the reared because of not paying attention. I feel the bright red might catch his eye better than a black dim little glow plug.

Yep that is my old man .02 worth.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim2003
There are so many distracted drivers out there, that I do not want to do anything that will make my taillights less visible. I do not understand why people want to darken/blacken the taillights! It make NO good sense what so ever. Screw the looks I do not want some dingbat hitting me in the reared because of not paying attention. I feel the bright red might catch his eye better than a black dim little glow plug.

Old people suck! Hey wait a minute I'm old too To each his own I guess but I'm thinking if some dingbat that isn't paying any attention or actually probably is paying attention its just that the phone call or text message is their main attention get-er and w/that being said the dingbat probably wouldn't see a light w/the intensity of a bolt of lighting before they plowed right thru the middle of it. Welcome to the wonderful world of distracted drivers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tefer:
(hmmm) (08-29-2016), Not So Fast (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:06 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Unfortunately, it's not going to make much difference to the texting driver whether your tail lights are tinted or airplane landing lights, because frankly, when a driver is distracted like that, they hit you with no skidmarks at all. In other words, they weren't even looking up.

Get notified of new replies

To face to face with leo...

Old 08-27-2016, 08:22 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

The lights are there for a reason.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6

The lights are there for a reason.
Me too. These kids at work removed the mirrors on their sportbikes so it would look cool. I can't imagine not having mirrors. I can't roll without stick on spot mirrors for that matter.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:50 AM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Quick Reply: face to face with leo...