C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 1962 C1 leaking oil at back plate on brake rear left

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:58 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1962 C1 leaking oil at back plate on brake rear left

I am slowly moving from New York to south Florida. I so far have my 1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible here from last trip and this trip I had my 1962 C1 Corvette shipped here. When the car arrived I saw that the rear left backing plate on the inner side that I can see from under center of the car is very wet. The brake master is full and brake pedal is great so it is not brake fluid. I don't have many tools down here as I am still mostly up in NY. Also no jack that I would feel secure enough to lie under car with. I don't know anyone here yet. How long can I drive it like this before damage occurs? i wanted to bring it to a shop to check rear oil level. Before the car left New York I had tranny, rear and motor oils drained and replaced with no traces of any leakage anywhere. I am wondering if the truckers chain did damage to the rear axel by the backing plate. I might have to wait till next month when I bring my C2 here with tools and a jack and stands in the back. I just blew out my back and now I can't get under. I left my service manuals up north and wondering if there is a top fill bolt in rear to see how much oil is gone? If so can I squeeze under maybe Tuesday with a 90w oil pump and top off the rear so I can move it?
Thanks
Jax
1962 C1
Old 08-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you are convinced its not brake fluid then you can use a crescent wrench to open the square bolt on the differential (and yes there should certainly be one) and feel with a finger tip...the oil level should be at the rim of the bolt hole...sometimes those bolts are tough to remove and require an 8 point socket and those are sort of hard to find.

Amsoil makes a nice cheap, plastic hand pump that will fit their fluid bottles and let you top off the rear end without a huge mess. I would refrain from driving the car unless absolutely necessary until you determine the cause of the leak.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tle-hand-pump/

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-28-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

That is "probably" rear end lube that is leaking out of the weep hole on the inside of the brake backing plate retainer The weep hole is there to prevent the lube from leaking inside the brake drum, which could really spoil your day.

It indicates that the rear axle seal and bearing have failed. You need someone with access to a press , and knowledge to use it correctly (you can remove the axle yourself, but you will not be able to remove / replace that bearing and it's bearing retainer with out the press).

As to how long, I would say don't go too far............and check the level via Frank's method above.

Where in Florida?

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-28-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:18 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Plasticman

Where is Florida?

Plasticman
South of Georgia, last time I looked.

Doug
Old 08-28-2016, 06:54 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AZDoug
South of Georgia, last time I looked.

Doug

and east of Alabama....

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-28-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Don't forget "north of Cuba"...................must be a slow day.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-28-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:49 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

That is "probably" rear end lube that is leaking out of the weep hole on the inside of the brake backing plate retainer The weep hole is there to prevent the lube from leaking inside the brake drum, which could really spoil your day.

It indicates that the rear axle seal and

bearing have failed. You need someone with access to a press , and knowledge to use it correctly (you can remove the axle yourself, but you will not be able to remove / replace that bearing and it's bearing retainer with out the press).

As to how long, I would say don't go too far............and check the level via Frank's method above.

Where in Florida?

Plasticman
north of Lauderdale and South of DelRay beach. Boca Raton. Easy living. Pissed off I can't use my 62 while I am down here. It is in a locked, alarmed dry garage now. It will live a lot longer here. Next trip with my 63 SWC I will bring tools to get it going. It is what having a classic Vette is about. One day running great, next day a bad seal. Everyone concurred my thought. A broken brake line would have been easier.
having 2 four post lifts installed so my car life will be easier
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=xkeots;1592948019]north of Lauderdale and South of DelRay beach. Boca Raton. Easy living. Pissed off I can't use my 62 while I am down here. It is in a locked, alarmed dry garage now. It will live a lot longer here. Next trip with my 63 SWC I will bring tools to get it going. It is what having a classic Vette is about. One day running great, next day a bad seal. Everyone concurred my thought. A broken brake line would have been easier.
having 2 four post lifts installed so my car life will be easier, a/c too.
thanks
jax
62 Vette
Old 08-29-2016, 08:27 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

A very simple matter to pull the axle and inspect the bearing. If it's loose and rough (and it probably is if the seal is leaking), no big deal to have a new one pressed on. The axle pulls right out after you undo the flange bolts. No need to go into the diff, and not complicated. You may want to do the other side for peace of mind if the bearing is indeed bad.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Note that the axle bearings have one or 2 O rings on the outside perimeter. These can fail, and cause a leak. But most of the time it is the bearing seals that are on the face of the bearing that fail due to excess runout of the bearing.

If the O ring failed, then the bore of the axle tube could be damaging the O ring (rust, or gouged during a previous repair), and close inspection should be made before reinstalling the axle.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...aring&fr=yfp-t

Note that these O rings are not standardized (some may be a different size than original, depending on the bearing manf.), so ordering new O rings from say Corvette Central or another Corvette parts supplier may not work if the bearings are not original. McMaster-Carr is a good source, although you will purchase more than you may need......

Welcome to FL.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 08-29-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:20 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Note that the axle bearings have one or 2 O rings on the outside perimeter. These can fail, and cause a leak. But most of the time it is the bearing seals that are on the face of the bearing that fail due to excess runout of the bearing.

If the O ring failed, then the bore of the axle tube could be damaging the O ring (rust, or gouged during a previous repair), and close inspection should be made before reinstalling the axle.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...aring&fr=yfp-t

Note that these O rings are not standardized (some may be a different size than original, depending on the bearing manf.), so ordering new O rings from say Corvette Central or another Corvette parts supplier may not work if the bearings are not original. McMaster-Carr is a good source, although you will purchase more than you may need......

Welcome to FL.

Plasticman
Yes, removing the axle is no big deal. Putting it back is. And the area of concern is the "O" ring(s). When you push the axle back into place, the rings have a tendency to shear off. It's almost like you need a ring compressor tool, only small enough to fit. And like he stated. The "O" rings the vendors sell are to big. The new bearings will have O rings already installed but I have found them to be to big. McMaster Carr is your answer. They sell no less then 10.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

If you have an industrial bearing supply house locally, they can get o-rings. You do need to know the size, though. I got a 5-pack for my '56 for $3.57.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you are convinced its not brake fluid then you can use a crescent wrench to open the square bolt on the differential (and yes there should certainly be one) and feel with a finger tip...the oil level should be at the rim of the bolt hole...sometimes those bolts are tough to remove and require an 8 point socket and those are sort of hard to find.

Amsoil makes a nice cheap, plastic hand pump that will fit their fluid bottles and let you top off the rear end without a huge mess. I would refrain from driving the car unless absolutely necessary until you determine the cause of the leak.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tle-hand-pump/
any idea what size open end wrench fits the rear plug? All of my tools are in New York and I just want to buy one to remove the filler plug.
thanks
jax
Old 08-31-2016, 03:02 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

As Frankie stated, use a Crescent wrench....12" or bigger. The best tool for the job, unless you have the correct socket and breaker bar. An end wrench has less leverage.

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 C1 leaking oil at back plate on brake rear left

Quick Reply: [C1] 1962 C1 leaking oil at back plate on brake rear left