Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other way to help stock seat flop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:41 PM
phloozy
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any other way to help stock seat flop?

Recorded an interior video from my last autox and even with my new harness, the seat (and myself) still flopped around. Anything else I can do to help keep things planted? The car is a 2003 with only 17k miles but the seats back has a good amount of play.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:58 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Cinch the shoulder straps much tighter. A lot tighter.
When I was in my C5's with a 5 point setup, I had to unlatch the harness before I could reach the door handle because I couldn't move.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM
phloozy
Advanced

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Cinch the shoulder straps much tighter. A lot tighter.
When I was in my C5's with a 5 point setup, I had to unlatch the harness before I could reach the door handle because I couldn't move.
I pulled super hard, but i can try harder lol. I think an issue is that they are being restricted by the shoulders of the seat since they go around and not through. I think I need to play with my seat configuration more to get it right.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Using an analogy, think like you are tying off a load on a flat bed truck.

Take one shoulder strap into both hands to get a superb grip. Maybe one hand on top of the other? However you can get the best hold. Then pull the strap straight down your chest using all the force you can.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
phloozy
Advanced

Using an analogy, think like you are tying off a load on a flat bed truck.

Take one shoulder strap into both hands to get a superb grip. Maybe one hand on top of the other? However you can get the best hold. Then pull the strap straight down your chest using all the force you can.
ok I didnt go that hard, I will give it a shot next event. This was actually my first time using a harness. It felt very strange being stuck to the back of the seat haha
Old 08-29-2016, 02:18 PM
phloozy
Advanced

Do you also put something behind the seat? I was thinking it may help to remove the forward and backwards play 1st and then tighten the harness
Old 08-29-2016, 02:36 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Nothing was there to hold the back part. I think there will be less movement of the seat-back once you are cinched it down. If moving the seat adjuster forward helps tighten the straps, go for it. I tried that but the two-hand technique worked for me.

Initially, I had some help with seat adjustment, belting and driving position from those in the know at the track. You may want to ask someone in the know to help you while in the pits.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:38 PM
phloozy
Advanced

Nothing was there to hold the back part. I think there will be less movement of the seat-back once you are cinched it down. If moving the seat adjuster forward helps tighten the straps, go for it. I tried that but the two-hand technique worked for me.

Initially, I had some help with seat adjustment, belting and driving position from those in the know at the track. You may want to ask someone in the know to help you while in the pits.
Great advice. Thanks a lot and will do
Old 08-29-2016, 05:29 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure if this will work, but check it out.
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=IH
Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 PM
jking32
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a harness bar and 4 point setup for autocross and to be honest if your autocrossing, I am not sure you have to be cinched down that tight on the shoulders. Over the last couple of years I have found as long as my lap belt is good and tight and holds my butt tight in the seat, that is plenty good enough. I still use the should harness, but leave myself a little room to move. Personal preference I guess.

Last edited by jking32; 08-30-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:24 AM
jstewart10
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are talking about the seat back falling backwards, see this autox blog post: link

jason
Old 08-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Put the seat in the rear position cinch your belts and then move the seat forward to get everything really tight. If you can expand your chest fully to breathe by the time you have finished a 90 to 130 second autocross then you haven't gotten the belts tight enough. The shoulder belts should be tight enough to restrict your breathing if you are breathing hard. That means tight, very tight. Getting your back depressed into the seat will help keep your upper body from moving sideways and take some of the load off your arms and knees. You won't need to use them as much to keep your body in place.

Bill
Old 09-08-2016, 09:24 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This helps

Richard Newton
Car Tech Ideas

Last edited by rfn026; 09-08-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any other way to help stock seat flop?

Quick Reply: Any other way to help stock seat flop?