C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking points vs pucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Alex Annapolis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jacking points vs pucks

So in the manual it shows places on the frame and suspension to place the lift or jack while using a block in between. However, it seems everyone uses the jacking pucks that pop into the corners.
Is there a reason they are not mentioned in the manual? Any benefits either way?
Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Al90Vette
So in the manual it shows places on the frame and suspension to place the lift or jack while using a block in between. However, it seems everyone uses the jacking pucks that pop into the corners.
Is there a reason they are not mentioned in the manual? Any benefits either way?
Thanks!!
I don't use them...Not needed!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it depends on what you are going to do and how high or supported you need the car to be. I like to jack by the puck locations and put jack stands under the other jacking points but could also jack up at the jacking points and support the car with jack stands at the puck locations. So there are options depending on the task to be done and your comfort level about jacking/supporting.

If you got a long low profile jack and simply jacked up at the jacking points, front and back, you can easily pop some jack stands at the puck locations and have the car fully supported.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I don't use them...Not needed!
I agree that they aren't needed but I have them for if and when the car needs to be lifted by someone other than me who isn't careful about lift placement.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I agree that they aren't needed but I have them for if and when the car needs to be lifted by someone other than me who isn't careful about lift placement.
True.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
II like to jack by the puck locations and put jack stands under the other jacking points but could also jack up at the jacking points and support the car with jack stands at the puck locations.
Everything I've read about this on these forums over the past several years says NOT to use jack stands at the puck locations.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Everything I've read about this on these forums over the past several years says NOT to use jack stands at the puck locations.
I've never seen or read that here and it doesn't make sense anyway. Why would you not use stands at the corners?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by EVRose
I've never seen or read that here and it doesn't make sense anyway. Why would you not use stands at the corners?
IIRC, I saw this in the C5 forum in the how to jack your C5 correctly thread. Sorry, but don't remember the actual title.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:05 AM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Here's how I do it: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-method.html

I have no reservations about being under the car with this setup, nor am I hesitant to heavily wrench on anything that requires it even when I am under the car. With these stands properly positioned at the jack puck locations, you would have to actively try to knock the car over.

If you're not getting under the car (e.g., brake service, etc.), this method also allows you to leave the jacks in place for extra insurance (you won't need it though).

Ask yourself how much you're willing to spend to make sure that your car doesn't fall and injure yourself or someone else and you'll find that super high quality stands like the ones I've linked to are pretty cheap.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

The pads on the rear near the exhaust are not actually touching anything. I just didn't take the pads off of the arms. The other 4 pads are where the hockey pucks go.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

My understanding is that the pucks are mainly used to prevent damage to the rocker panels. I just bought some from Southern Car Parts and am very pleased. Less than $50 and free shipping.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Using a low profile jack on the jack pucks to say jack up one corner either front or rear just high enough to remove a wheel/tire. Can or will this cause any frame damage?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tefer
Using a low profile jack on the jack pucks to say jack up one corner either front or rear just high enough to remove a wheel/tire. Can or will this cause any frame damage?
If you do it right, no. I do this on nearly a weekly basis.
The following users liked this post:
Tefer (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 12:30 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tefer
From a direct damage point of view, no chance of any issues. In fact, you can lift the entire side of the car from any one corner due to the immense frame rigidity on these cars.

Doing this in any normal situation (read: you don't HAVE to lift the car NOW to fix an immediate issue or to help someone stuck under it) is a generally bad idea because hydraulic jacks have the potential to leak, causing the car to slowly (or rapidly if you're unlucky) drop on you. For a quick task, it's probably fine, but not recommended. Definitely a no-go if leaving the car up any longer than 15 minutes or if it's ever out of your direct supervision.
Tefer (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 12:43 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Yeah, never depend on a hydraulic jack to support your car when you are working on it. When I bought my Vette I invested in a low profile 3 ton floor jack which I use to lift the car from one of the jacking pads at the end opposite the one I want to work on. I then slip a jack stand under the pad on the end I will be under and lower the car onto the stand. Same procedure on the other side and then I give the car a good lateral push to insure that it is stable on the stands. Also get in the habit of using wheel chocks to insure the car won't roll off the stands while you are under it. Takes a little more time but you get to stay alive.
Tefer (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Use a puck or a hunk of wood,just make sure it's positioned in the notched area of the rocker panel so the jack doesn't damage it.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Alex Annapolis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great info!! Another question- it was mentioned its a bad idea to leave the pucks in bc it doesn't allow water to drain from the frame- is this something (removing the pucks) that should be followed? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking points vs pucks

Old 09-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

All great info!! Another question- it was mentioned its a bad idea to leave the pucks in bc it doesn't allow water to drain from the frame- is this something (removing the pucks) that should be followed? Thanks
I had not heard that before, I leave mine in all the time but then I rarely drive in rainy or wet conditions. But I would think given the way they fit that any water would be able drain out around them. Will be curious to hear what others think.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:49 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

The ones I installed are loose enough to allow water to drain.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:28 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

I use both methods for lifting the car depending on if using a floor jack or a lift. It really doesn't matter as long as you raise on the mfg recommended jacking points. Locking pucks are fine for most things but when raising the car both front and back I use the cradle lift points. Always use proper jack stands for safety.

Quick Reply: Jacking points vs pucks