C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Rusting Z06 Steel Rotor Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 PM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rusting Z06 Steel Rotor Hubs

My 2016 Z06 has about 14,000 miles. I have always hand washed my car myself. I recently took my car to a Chevy dealer to get a hand wash thinking they knew how to properly wash the car. I picked the car up and everything seemed OK, but when I drove the car the next day I noticed the rear brake rotors were starting to rust around the hub area. I took the car back to the dealer and learned that wheel cleaner had been used on the wheels. I told the service manager that the manual specifically states not to use wheel cleaner. The acid in the cleaner appears to have removed some of the gray coating on the rotor hub resulting in rust on the unprotected metal. The service manager agreed and said they would replace the rotors. He told me it would take two weeks to get the rotors and he would call me when they came in.
Fast forward three weeks. I called the SM to inquire about the new rotors and he said the dealership would not replace the rotors. His explanation is the use of wheel cleaner applies to only the wheel and the wheels are fine. I explained that if you use wheel cleaner on the wheels it will also be sprayed on the rotors. His offer is to remove the wheels and brush the rust off, but they will not apply anything to the bare metal such as paint. Obviously, this procedure will do nothing to fix the problem.
Note to Self ... Take care of your car Yourself! A $100k car with rusting rotors. Prior to the dealer car wash, everything looked great. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:58 AM
bizzy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocksZC7
My 2016 Z06 has about 14,000 miles. I have always hand washed my car myself. I recently took my car to a Chevy dealer to get a hand wash thinking they knew how to properly wash the car. I picked the car up and everything seemed OK, but when I drove the car the next day I noticed the rear brake rotors were starting to rust around the hub area. I took the car back to the dealer and learned that wheel cleaner had been used on the wheels. I told the service manager that the manual specifically states not to use wheel cleaner. The acid in the cleaner appears to have removed some of the gray coating on the rotor hub resulting in rust on the unprotected metal. The service manager agreed and said they would replace the rotors. He told me it would take two weeks to get the rotors and he would call me when they came in.
Fast forward three weeks. I called the SM to inquire about the new rotors and he said the dealership would not replace the rotors. His explanation is the use of wheel cleaner applies to only the wheel and the wheels are fine. I explained that if you use wheel cleaner on the wheels it will also be sprayed on the rotors. His offer is to remove the wheels and brush the rust off, but they will not apply anything to the bare metal such as paint. Obviously, this procedure will do nothing to fix the problem.
Note to Self ... Take care of your car Yourself! A $100k car with rusting rotors. Before the dealer car wash, everything looked great. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Very unfortunate! I'm glad to have read about your situation, as I was unaware of the wheel cleaner damaging the rotors (I'm now going to read my manual thoroughly!). However, I've always taken care of my car myself, hand wash and wax. I maintain the wheels & body daily, or after every drive, it gets a nice wipe down (Microfiber towel only), so I've never had to consider using a wheel cleaner since my ongoing maintenance has kept the wheels and the car in pristine condition.

Again, sorry to hear about your situation, but glad I read about it, I will make sure to note that wheel cleaner is a big NO-NO!
The following users liked this post:
conlaurant (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 09:05 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I'm guessing wheel cleaner at a Chevy dealer was not the worst thing they did while washing your car. I can only imagine the number of brushes and dirty towels used to clean the vehicle...
Old 08-31-2016, 09:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It doesn't matter whether it is a $100K car, a $15K car or a $400K car cast iron/steel rotors rust. Almost every car on the planet has them and every one of them rusts. That coating seen on the rotors goes away over time anyways and they will rust. The SM is correct the warning about wheel cleaners is to avoid damage to the wheels that can occur if the cleaner is left on the wheel too long.

Bill
Old 08-31-2016, 09:37 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Note to Self ... Take care of your car Yourself! A $100k car with rusting rotors. Prior to the dealer car wash, everything looked great. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Wheel cleaner note only applies to Chrome finish I think.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

A light film of RUST is not uncommon after a wash. Simply drive car around block, apply brakes several times, rust disappears, all is good. Not a big deal.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Unbelievable.....
Old 08-31-2016, 11:28 AM
RocksZC7
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The C7Z06 uses the two piece rotors. I have the Steel Rotors with the steel hubs. The wheel cleaner applied at the dealer etched the paint on the 'Hub' as noted in the attached photo. Prior to the dealership wash job, the rotor assemblies looked perfect as I do not use wheel cleaner on my rims and rotors. The front brakes have a black painted hub that so far looks OK, but you can see the rust on the rotor between the painted hub and rotor surface that is swiped by the brake pads . It is mainly the rear brakes that look terrible.
If the dealership had not used the wheel cleaner, this problem would not have happened. The SM acknowledged the problem initially but now will not stand by his agreement to replace the rotor assemblies. They will remove the rust that they created, but will not repaint the hubs to prevent future rusting that will probably be worse after they remove the current rust.
I am not a Happy Camper after this ordeal. I have owned three Vets and this is the first issue I have had with rotors looking like a 1996 ford pickup.

Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

well ****, that must be some unusually strong stuff. I'd be calling the general manager. Do you have a picture of them before they washed it?

FWIW, I use Sonax wheel cleaner, and it has not affected the rotors like this.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 AM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

I bought a 2014 Chevy SS. The hubs were rusted upon arrival. GM replaced them. 2 years later (no cleaner used) they are rusting again.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:37 AM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill Dearborn;1592960760]It doesn't matter whether it is a $100K car, a $15K car or a $400K car cast iron/steel rotors rust. Almost every car on the planet has them and every one of them rusts. That coating seen on the rotors goes away over time anyways and they will rust. The SM is correct the warning about wheel cleaners is to avoid damage to the wheels that can occur if the cleaner is left on the wheel too long.

Bill[/

Yep I agree, that's why I powder coat them!! Problem solved
Old 08-31-2016, 11:48 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

What about wheel cleaners like Sonax that are strong but list themselves as acid free, I wonder?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Yuck. Yea that's not good.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

at least it wasnt a fingerprint
Old 08-31-2016, 03:40 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

If the dealership had not used the wheel cleaner, this problem would not have happened.
I'm not sure I completely agree with that. Untreated surfaces are going to rust. You'll start to see this more on more on newer cars. You learned your lesson. Now who are you going to let paint your hats and rotors?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Boneheadperformance!! Best powder coaters out there
Old 08-31-2016, 04:07 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerrock
Boneheadperformance!! Best powder coaters out there
Most powder will have a PMT around 400. You shouldn't powder coat brake rotors because they can get hot enough to melt the power right off them.

Get notified of new replies

To Rusting Z06 Steel Rotor Hubs

Old 08-31-2016, 08:13 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

The C7Z06 uses the two piece rotors. I have the Steel Rotors with the steel hubs. The wheel cleaner applied at the dealer etched the paint on the 'Hub' as noted in the attached photo. Prior to the dealership wash job, the rotor assemblies looked perfect as I do not use wheel cleaner on my rims and rotors. The front brakes have a black painted hub that so far looks OK, but you can see the rust on the rotor between the painted hub and rotor surface that is swiped by the brake pads . It is mainly the rear brakes that look terrible.
If the dealership had not used the wheel cleaner, this problem would not have happened. The SM acknowledged the problem initially but now will not stand by his agreement to replace the rotor assemblies. They will remove the rust that they created, but will not repaint the hubs to prevent future rusting that will probably be worse after they remove the current rust.
I am not a Happy Camper after this ordeal. I have owned three Vets and this is the first issue I have had with rotors looking like a 1996 ford pickup.

Yeah, that's unsightly and more noticeable that I had envisioned. I experienced something similar on another car and elected to cover the non-pad areas with high-temp paint. You don't have to be too precise, as any paint on the pad areas will obviously be removed when braking.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:25 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It doesn't matter whether it is a $100K car, a $15K car or a $400K car cast iron/steel rotors rust. Almost every car on the planet has them and every one of them rusts. That coating seen on the rotors goes away over time anyways and they will rust. The SM is correct the warning about wheel cleaners is to avoid damage to the wheels that can occur if the cleaner is left on the wheel too long.

Bill
Bing Bango Bongo, its steel its going to rust. That gray coating will wash away and rust will occur, its inevitable. Its the same paint they've been using since early 2006 production.

Very sad to see they accelerated process. Just pull the wheels off, tape around the calipers and spray them with a Duplicolor 500 degree light gray paint. Take the car down the street with a couple of hard stops and the paint will be gone off the brake surface of the rotor. Take a little bit of lacquer thinner to wipe the rotor bolts. They will look great for a long time and last much longer then the factory gray paint.

Last edited by LPE385; 08-31-2016 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RocksZC7 (09-03-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 09:30 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm with LPE ......Paul

Quick Reply: Rusting Z06 Steel Rotor Hubs