Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange rattle/clunk on track in video that I don't hear or feel while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Strange rattle/clunk on track in video that I don't hear or feel while driving

I get a consistent rattle each lap in the same spots on track. I don't hear it or feel it when driving, I only hear it when I watch the videos a couple days later. I'm using a gopro that is mounted to my helmet. I've attached it to the harness bar at another track and heard it there as well.

It can be heard at 0:51 as well as 1:44. Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas. This car is an '02 Z06, 25k miles. Has about 10 track events on it now. Has ride tech bushings, DRM shocks, DRM/Quantum ducts, track/street alignment, seats, and harnesses. I flush all the driveline fluid each winter I've had it.

Last edited by Dan H.; 08-30-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:29 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like your GoPro case is rubbing very lightly on your seat, Hans, or harness. I only watched the times you specified but it's on right handers and when your head turns a certain degree.

Edit: I see you mounted it on a bar as well and still heard it. I still believe it's something similar to what I described. Certainly sounds very close to the microphone.

Last edited by phipp85; 08-31-2016 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well both times it happens in right hand turns but sounds like something in the cabin moving around. Since you do not feel it in the driveline I would not be too concerned about it. Its easy to be spooked by all the noises on track for sure. Good to be cautious though.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:45 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thank you guys,
Phipp85, I didn't think about the proximity to the mike, it does sound close. I'll try a run with it in the windshield next weekend and see if it shows up there.

Ludeaem, thanks for understanding. I've just seen so many accidents and videos of accidents I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious. I'm big on PM and probably overdo it to some degree. I'm a believer of take car of may car and it will take care of me. Oh and that the knucklehead behind the wheel keeps himself in check!

Before this event last week I had the car on jack stands and used a floor jack to lift each corner by the lower ball joint. While doing this I looked for any play in the pivot points. Everything looked alright.

Thanks guys
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

I wasn't sure if that could be a sign of a driveline issue. Something like
Diff/clutch packs
transmission/clutch/TO bearing
Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

That definitely sounds like it is inside the cabin to me. Loose tether on the GoPro? Loose seatbelt flopping around? Any thing else in the cabin not ziptied and secure?
Old 09-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
Sounds like your GoPro case is rubbing very lightly on your seat, Hans, or harness. I only watched the times you specified but it's on right handers and when your head turns a certain degree.

Edit: I see you mounted it on a bar as well and still heard it. I still believe it's something similar to what I described. Certainly sounds very close to the microphone.
Could be the GoPro moving around in the case?

Get notified of new replies

To Strange rattle/clunk on track in video that I don't hear or feel while driving

Quick Reply: Strange rattle/clunk on track in video that I don't hear or feel while driving