C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A corvette restorod manufacture/fabricator...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 AM
Adriano
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A corvette restorod manufacture/fabricator...?

Hi. How are you guys?

I just recently sold my 2010 ZR1 and have been classic car shopping ever since I watched the new owner drive away with my ZR1.
I have made the decision to mix old with the new.

What I am looking for is someone who can build me a 1967 coupe, I want to be pretty specific in the fact that I would like a Black on Red coupe, with a red stinger, I love that color combo! Numbers matching is not a concern for me, as I would like the guts of the car completely changed to a ZR1. I loved my ZR1's performance and reliability of the LS9, carbon brakes and magnetic ride suspension. I just need someone to retro fit all of that into a 1967 coupe. I want the finished cars interior and exterior to appear 100% original, except for the wheels. Then when I open the hood or look at the undercarriage the jewelry can be revealed.

Please provide me with anyone you know who can make such a dream a reality, time or money is not a concern. I do not have a car to start with so this would be a start to finish fabrication.
I really appreciate it and hope someone out their could help me out...?
Thanks.

Adriano Bossio
Old 08-31-2016, 02:01 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Post request on regurlar c2

Adriano why not post your request for a resto mod builder on the regular C2 thread. There are 3 or 4 builders that post there regularly so they would be more likely to see and reply because they don't look at car sales. You will get a lot more feedback there.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I recommend you check out Dynamic Corvettes, they are contributing members here. I have built three restomods using them for all my body and paint needs. They are a full service shop with a great reputation for their C1 and C2 expertise. http://www.dynamiccorvettes.com/
They currently have a number of similar projects in production. First quality with no exceptions from them. Steve the owner takes personnel pride in everything that goes out the door.
Brian
Old 09-01-2016, 04:24 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,787 Posts

This request for information thread will be moved to C1/2 General, as it is not an ad for a car for sale or wanted.

Some posts referring to a poster with Non Supporting Vendor issues in the past have been removed.

Please note: while suggestions for a builder are OK, we cannot allow the thread to become a promotional vehicle for any Non Supporting Member. So, please follow up referrals outside this thread, and keep the referrals brief and not in violation of Non Supporting Vendor / commercial posting rules. Thanks.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-posting.html

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 09-01-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Add link re: commercial posting and Non Spporting Vendors
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Adriano
Hi. How are you guys?

I just recently sold my 2010 ZR1 and have been classic car shopping ever since I watched the new owner drive away with my ZR1.

What I am looking for is someone who can build me a 1967 coupe, I want to be pretty specific in the fact that I would like a Black on Red coupe, with a red stinger, I love that color combo! Numbers matching is not a concern for me, as I would like the guts of the car completely changed to a ZR1. I loved my ZR1's performance and reliability of the LS9, carbon brakes and magnetic ride suspension. I just need someone to retro fit all of that into a 1967 coupe. I want the finished cars interior and exterior to appear 100% original, except for the wheels. Then when I open the hood or look at the undercarriage the jewelry can be revealed.

Please provide me with anyone you know who can make such a dream a reality, time or money is not a concern. I do not have a car to start with so this would be a start to finish fabrication.
Thanks.

Adriano Bossio
My current project is taking the suspension, brakes, etc. off of a 2010 ZR1 and putting them under a '64 convertible.

The '64 came in about 20 crates, which makes this a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to start with, but a few things to think about:

I'm using a SRIII chassis. The guys there are great! They have worked through mounting all the crazy stuff together.

I'm using a Curry 9" that then goes to drive shaft shop (custom made) CV joints. Stuff like this will get you if you wanted bone stock 2010 stuff as the dimensions of the vehicle are way different. Besides, I'm planning on a tad bit more HP than a stock ZR1.

The transmission on the ZR1 is mounted way different than the C2. I ended up going with a RPM transmissions modified T-56 magnum and another custom drive shaft from the back of the trans to the differential. Don't forget that the T-56 is a big transmission and will require major tunnel surgery to fit.

The engine is another challenge, but SRIII is good about working through getting it located. Plan on oil pan and other fitment challenges.

All of the computer stuff is going to take some work. You will need a yaw sensor off of the ZR1 as well as the ABS pump, sensors, etc. to work correctly. This means programming in various variables into the ABS pump for vehicle weight, length and so on to ensure it operates correctly. I am a Chief Software Architect with about 30 years software engineering experience and I'm not about to sell what I wrote (too much liability -- if I kill myself that is one thing, if I sell to someone else and they are even remotely harmed it's another thing).

The next question is what sort of shocks. The active suspension on the ZR1 is quite a technological feat. I ended up going with coil overs and three way adjustable shocks.

A challenge I am putting off is driving the instrument cluster off of the CANBUS feed from the computer. I expect I will take re-pop gauge dials and cluster shell, then re-working everything else.

Nobody has (as far as I know) a computer that will take the wheel sensors and the throttle-by-wire to do the launch control that is available on the ZR1. Again, this is more (embedded) custom programming.

This is just a start. So, is it possible? Sure. With enough time / money / effort anything can be accomplished. That said, are you really committed to a project of this magnitude?

So far I'm about four years into the project. Will have to see how it all works out.

That said, perhaps a better (read: faster) approach is to take a look at / ride in a high end resto-mod (such as JohnZ (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...194-johnz.html) does). Sure, it's not a ZR1, but then, it's not a ZR1. He does a most excellent job and you will have a wonderful car in far less time.

JMHO. YMMV.

-- Joe
Old 09-01-2016, 09:20 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

As an aside, the 2010 ZR1 uses a Bosch ABS kit, very similar to the M4 kit.

Take a look at:

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/de/de...s_1_737229.php

Realize, though, this does not integrate with the other systems on the vehicle. That's left to the integrator.

FWIW...

-- Joe
Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default build a car

Hi. How are you guys?

Thanks.

Adriano Bossio
Mike Colletta Claremont Fla Forum member is well known for building a top quality ride
The following users liked this post:
bigearl56 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:54 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Forum member dcaggiani has a website called www.vetterodder.com that lists vendors and resources for restomod builds.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by C2 Hot Cam Guy
Mike Colletta Claremont Fla Forum member is well known for building a top quality ride
i agree. Mike is your man. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone more skilled or nicer to work with.

Steve
bigearl56 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:49 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Hi. How are you guys?

Thanks.

Adriano Bossio
Contact Bigearl56 on the C2 forum and buy his 67 that Mike Colleta just built. You'll save a ton of money and get a great car. Is isn't black with red stinger but it's beautiful and ready to go right now.
bigearl56 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 05:20 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-restomod.html

The link to Big Earl's Mike Colleta built RestoMod (for sale)
bigearl56 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 05:50 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

beautiful car...
Bill
bigearl56 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2 Hot Cam Guy

I had JohnZ running through my brain and I got the two mixed up (though JohnZ is a great resource for the forum).

Humbly eating a big ol' chunk of crow.

-- Joe
Old 09-04-2016, 02:19 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A total zr1 conversion can be done but will be extremely expensive. The rear transaxle will also eat up a lot of interior space along with the torque tube. A few minor changes can probably save you $50k.
Suggestions:
1. Front mounted t56 with zr1 gear ratios
2. ccb with hydroboost minus abs
3. Top of the line coil over shocks in lieu of mrc
Good luck with your build and I hope my suggestion were helpful.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:25 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Perhaps another thread for a visual on a resto-mod build:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-gt-racer.html

It's not a total ZR1 conversion, but it looks like a great ride with modern bits.

-- Joe
Marks Hotrod Garage (09-05-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM
XLR8OR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retro Ride Designs
Mike Haluska, PE (Purdue University) best engineered & designed Resto Mods
219-588-7057

Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Mike Colleta is your guy, Don't mess with the rest just go straight to the best and give him a call, if you haven't already. He is also pretty quick in getting them done.

Last edited by Dale002; 09-29-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A corvette restorod manufacture/fabricator...?

Quick Reply: A corvette restorod manufacture/fabricator...?