C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 corvette starts then soon dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 PM
coothethird
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1985 corvette starts then soon dies

Hello.

1985 corvette manual transmission

Starts right up then dies after a few seconds.

Fuel pressure is 38-39 with regulator vac line unhooked. Stays up through starting, so it seems the relay is staying on and there is no oil pressure sensor issue.

Fuel pressure holds well. It will hold pressure for at least 30min.

Block/pinch return line and the pressure builds to over 70psi. The car will actually start and run like this. I tested it out of curiosity.

The fans come on with the switch. When I attempt to jump A to B on the aldl the CEL does not blink, thus I cannot pull the codes.

If I apply a very slight amount of throttle right after it starts, I can get a high idle.

Any ideas? The car starting and running with the return line pinched made me think fuel regulator, but 38+ psi should be enough to run ( I would think). Lengthening the running time by opening the throttle body makes me think IAC. The fans coming on with the switch makes me think it is stuck in limp mode. I don't what to think about the CEL not blinking when A and B are connected.

Not sure where to go next. Could throw parts at it. Lol. But would rather hear from experienced owners.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 08-31-2016, 10:18 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by coothethird
Hello.

1985 corvette manual transmission

Starts right up then dies after a few seconds.

Fuel pressure is 38-39 with regulator vac line unhooked. Stays up through starting, so it seems the relay is staying on and there is no oil pressure sensor issue.

Fuel pressure holds well. It will hold pressure for at least 30min.

Block/pinch return line and the pressure builds to over 70psi. The car will actually start and run like this. I tested it out of curiosity.

The fans come on with the switch. When I attempt to jump A to B on the aldl the CEL does not blink, thus I cannot pull the codes.

If I apply a very slight amount of throttle right after it starts, I can get a high idle.

Any ideas? The car starting and running with the return line pinched made me think fuel regulator, but 38+ psi should be enough to run ( I would think). Lengthening the running time by opening the throttle body makes me think IAC. The fans coming on with the switch makes me think it is stuck in limp mode. I don't what to think about the CEL not blinking when A and B are connected.

Not sure where to go next. Could throw parts at it. Lol. But would rather hear from experienced owners.

Thanks,
Tom
unplug the MAF and see if it runs better
Old 08-31-2016, 10:18 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Fuel filter?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:47 AM
coothethird
Advanced

Thanks, I tried unplugging the MAF, no change.

I ordered a new fuel filter just to make sure, but have not received it yet. I put an extension on the return line and the flow seems to be plenty and the pressure seems reasonable. I don't think it's the filter, but will replace anyway.

Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:52 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Thanks, I tried unplugging the MAF, no change.

I ordered a new fuel filter just to make sure, but have not received it yet. I put an extension on the return line and the flow seems to be plenty and the pressure seems reasonable. I don't think it's the filter, but will replace anyway.

Thanks again.
While you're waiting take your coil and ignition module in for testing do not forget the thermal grease. and pull the vacumm line off the fpr and look and smell for fuel.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-01-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:21 AM
coothethird
Advanced

When I pulled the vac line off the FPR to test pressure, I couldn't see any fuel residue. I'll pull the ignition coil and module, but the car will run with the return line pinched. It doesn't seem like an ignition problem, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

When I pulled the vac line off the FPR to test pressure, I couldn't see any fuel residue. I'll pull the ignition coil and module, but the car will run with the return line pinched. It doesn't seem like an ignition problem, but I'll give it a shot.
But does not cost anything to test might even test the water temp sensor for the puter too. Strange things can happen.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 AM
coothethird
Advanced

Agreed, will add water temp sensor to the testing list.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:18 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Very interesting about it running at 70psi (with return line clamped).

Would that have the effect of adding more fuel? Injector pulses stay the same but a bit more fuel getting in due to higher pressures?

if so, sounds like it's running lean, and when you enrichen the mixture (by inducing huger pressure it will run.

I'd be looking for either a huge vac leak, or clogged injectors/clogged fuel filter.

Your pressure may be just fine, but flow rate massively reduced due to the clog.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 PM
coothethird
Advanced

Yes, seems fuel related to me as well. Will replace the fuel filter this afternoon (just came in) and see if it helps. That should be everything in the system sans regulator.

Last edited by coothethird; 09-01-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:19 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yes, seems fuel related to me as well. Will replace the fuel filter this afternoon (just came in) and see if it helps. That should be everything in the system sans regulator.
If the tank is full best to pull the line off it or at least keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM
coothethird
Advanced

Haha. Yes. I will break out the hemostats and try to reduce the flow of man cologne.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Haha. Yes. I will break out the hemostats and try to reduce the flow of man cologne.
Roach clips might not do it.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 PM
coothethird
Advanced

Changed the filter. Still the same symptoms. Roach clips worked very well.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Changed the filter. Still the same symptoms. Roach clips worked very well.
More tests.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 AM
coothethird
Advanced

What would keep the ecm to fail at giving codes? When I try to jump A to B on the aldl and it doesn't make the CEL blink at all.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

U r not getting code 12? No blinks at all? Ecm failure or is your all upside down? That happens a lot.

Battery unconnected or dead.

Fuse on idiot panel toast? Wiring to idiot panel compromised?

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 09-02-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 corvette starts then soon dies

Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 PM
coothethird
Advanced

No blinks at all. Just a solid lit CEL. Pretty sure it is the correct A and B. If it's upside down then you can't jumper anything because one space is empty, ie it has no pin/wire connected to it. I will check all the fuses again.

The cooling fans on when the switch is turned on. The ecm could be fired, or, like you say, wiring issues.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:19 PM
coothethird
Advanced

Checked tps voltage, it was way low. I tested the tps and the resistance was within what others have found to be good. I adjusted it to as close to .54 volts (closed) as I could. It would only go to 2.0 volts wot. I think there must be resistance in the connection.

I also did the reset procedure on the iac actuator.

It now starts and idles fine. It has a nasty bog off idle, probably due to the tps not getting close to the 5v input.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Checked tps voltage, it was way low. I tested the tps and the resistance was within what others have found to be good. I adjusted it to as close to .54 volts (closed) as I could. It would only go to 2.0 volts wot. I think there must be resistance in the connection.

I also did the reset procedure on the iac actuator.

It now starts and idles fine. It has a nasty bog off idle, probably due to the tps not getting close to the 5v input.
Good job sounds like you're sneeking up on it.

Quick Reply: 1985 corvette starts then soon dies