C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GS Convertible Top Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:00 PM
grandsportgirl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 GS Convertible Top Broken?

My day has finally arrived. I have a 2010 GS, original owner. My airbag light would come on simultaneously since day 1. I continued taking it to the dealer and they said they couldn't find the problem. I then received a letter last month, (not a recall) that stated they were aware the seat would catch and pull a wire triggering the airbag light. I put it into Boardwalk RWC Dealer for repair. When I went to pick it up, the convertible top wouldn't go down. They told me it had nothing to do with the repair for the airbag light. They quoted me $900 for the repair. They have had the car for two weeks now. They called me today and said they had fixed the switch for the top, then it broke again. Am I ever going to get the car back? Has anyone else had issues with their tops? Any suggestions. I'm about to flip my lid!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:06 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

What are they saying is the problem with the top? There are only a couple switches and it is not really rocket science figuring out which one is the issue.

Can you possibly provide symptoms and DTC messages?

Last edited by AL_Jazz; 09-09-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 PM
grandsportgirl
Intermediate

Default BROKEN SWITCH FOR CONVERTIBLE TOP 2010 gs

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
What are they saying is the problem with the top? There are only a couple switches and it is not really rocket science figuring out which one is the issue.

Can you possibly provide symptoms and DTC messages?
The dealer said there are 2 switches to make the top go up and down. They said the switch was broken. Well, it worked when I dropped it off! They called and said they had it working, then went to test it and it stopped working. They said if they found the problem by running a diagnostics check, they would call me when they figured out the problem. Well, no call back and two weeks later......
Old 09-09-2016, 09:14 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Can you take it to another dealer?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Red12
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Just had mine fixed. Dealer had it for 5 days. Was a module. Tech said that too much grease dripped onto the module and shorted it out. Cost: $1100. Ouch!
The following users liked this post:
AL_Jazz (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:36 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by grandsportgirl
The dealer said there are 2 switches to make the top go up and down. They said the switch was broken. Well, it worked when I dropped it off! They called and said they had it working, then went to test it and it stopped working. They said if they found the problem by running a diagnostics check, they would call me when they figured out the problem. Well, no call back and two weeks later......
Sounds like you need to locate another dealer. The tops are fairly simple with a primary switch in the trunk to indicate if the rear divider is locked into place (and can be over ridden with a zip tie) and then the second one is in the latch mechanism. There is also one in the header to know if it is latched or not. Fairly straight forward trying to diagnose which one is not engaging.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:58 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

After reading another one of "those" threads, you no longer need to wonder why most C6 owners don't want to take their cars to the dealer for anything.
They may or may not be able to fix the original issue, but for some strange reason, but they will charge an arm an a leg even if they can't fix it. They usually break something else that was working perfectly normal when it was driven into the service bay.

I refuse to take my car to the dealer for anything. My car hasn't had the recall issues yet, but I will never go to the dealer to get the recall done on the car.(for the reson stated above) I know how to fix the ground for the low beam headlights, and also the air bag light as well.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Sounds like the tech did not reindex the windows after disconnecting the battery when the original work was done.

Gary
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverC54me:
grandsportgirl (09-11-2016), owc6 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
Can you take it to another dealer?
I would suggest Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista. They know how to repair Corvettes without robbing the customer. Their specialty..

http://www.abelgm.com/

They are Forum Sponsors and RichieRichZ06 is a member and sponsor..

don't put up with other "Stealerships"
grandsportgirl (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 12:12 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
Sounds like the tech did not reindex the windows after disconnecting the battery when the original work was done.

Gary

I would place a wager that Gary is dead on correct in his analysis...
Old 09-10-2016, 12:16 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Gary
Failure to re-index the windows was my first guess as well.

Top will not move in either direction (and there is no DIC warning or chimes/etc.) if the windows have not been indexed.

Pretty well documented that the airbag and other connectors under the seat need to be cable tied together and free of any entanglements that may compromise the harness.

Check on your Regional Forum and find a competent shop recommended by the 'locals'.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:35 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Typical dealer, charges you $900 because they didn't know to re-index the windows after a battery disconnect.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Typical dealer, charges you $900 because they didn't know to re-index the windows after a battery disconnect.
Sad but completely true...
Old 09-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Please don't take any offense, but are you familiar with reindexing the windows? If that is the problem, you shouldn't owe them anything. Boardwalk is known for their sales, but Abel is know for their service.

My suggestion would be to contact Tim Boone. I bought my Corvette at Boardwalk. Sales can help you if you are dissatisfied with the service department. I no longer use the service department at Boardwalk but still see Tim Boone at various Corvette events.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 PM
grandsportgirl
Intermediate

Default C6 Convertible Top

Gary
I will call them Monday and talk to the Service Manager about this. Thanks for the heads up!

Candy
Old 09-11-2016, 06:59 PM
grandsportgirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
Please don't take any offense, but are you familiar with reindexing the windows? If that is the problem, you shouldn't owe them anything. Boardwalk is known for their sales, but Abel is know for their service.

My suggestion would be to contact Tim Boone. I bought my Corvette at Boardwalk. Sales can help you if you are dissatisfied with the service department. I no longer use the service department at Boardwalk but still see Tim Boone at various Corvette events.
Thanks! I will call them tomorrow.....

Candy
Old 09-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Did the service department come up with the answer? I am sorry you are missing some nice days for driving a convertible.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 GS Convertible Top Broken?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Gary
My first thought also.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 PM
grandsportgirl
Intermediate

Default Top broken

Originally Posted by grandsportgirl
My day has finally arrived. I have a 2010 GS, original owner. My airbag light would come on simultaneously since day 1. I continued taking it to the dealer and they said they couldn't find the problem. I then received a letter last month, (not a recall) that stated they were aware the seat would catch and pull a wire triggering the airbag light. I put it into Boardwalk RWC Dealer for repair. When I went to pick it up, the convertible top wouldn't go down. They told me it had nothing to do with the repair for the airbag light. They quoted me $900 for the repair. They have had the car for two weeks now. They called me today and said they had fixed the switch for the top, then it broke again. Am I ever going to get the car back? Has anyone else had issues with their tops? Any suggestions. I'm about to flip my lid!
Dealer called today 9/13 and now it's a wire harness problem? This is the 2nd part broken? They need another week to order part and time for repair. I've called GM and filed a complaint and threatened them with the Lemon Law! Top was fine when I brought it in. They have had the car since 8/27. What a huge MISTAKE taking it to Boardwalk Chevrolet. If I didn't get the letter for the airbag light, I would have never taken it there.....more to come!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

I am really sorry this has happened to you. I don't know if the Bureau of Automotive Repair can help you or not. It sounds like they are more after the fact.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/index.shtml

Quick Reply: 2010 GS Convertible Top Broken?