C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech Stinger install questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Posner
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Halltech Stinger install questions...

I was all ready to install the CAI with nomex sock on my Z tonight, but put it on hold after i opened the box. I did watch the Youtube video and the install seems easy. However, in my package I saw a tube of weather strip cement, a temporary rubber lubricant, and some other odds and ends. There is no mention of these extra items in the install video, and I didn't receive any instructions. Just don't want to improperly install the system. Where can I find complete instructions for install? Thanks in advance

Posner
Old 09-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

The smaller rubber piece goes around the top of the box, the larger thicker one goes on the tube where it connects to the box.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-10-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hmmm. I didn't get the smaller rubber piece this time around. I did when I first bought it in the initial group buy. I did purchase the tube of weather strip stuff but I have no idea what to do with it. Personally I went a little nuts with the gold foil and my engine bay looks like a McLaren F1 now.

Jim...we love you man but you've got to get these instructions in better shape. It will totally save you time at the end of the day.

FWIW this gen 2 model fits much better than the initial run did. I'll do a write up when I get some time and more miles on it. It's stupid how much stronger the car feels.

Best,
Gene

The following 2 users liked this post by phantasms:
AllFlash (09-10-2016), rico750sxi (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks good Gene, how much space did you get between the airbox and rad hose?

The larger seal is an extra seal for the time when you take your filter out and clean it or replace it.

The lube is for the radiator bypass line. Easier to insert the line into the 5/16" hose with the P80 rubber lube. Same thing with the conn hose to the throttle body.

The thin hose is no longer used by most installers.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Posner
4th Gear

Thanks guys
Old 09-10-2016, 08:20 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Halltech
Looks good Gene, how much space did you get between the airbox and rad hose?

The larger seal is an extra seal for the time when you take your filter out and clean it or replace it.

The lube is for the radiator bypass line. Easier to insert the line into the 5/16" hose with the P80 rubber lube. Same thing with the conn hose to the throttle body.

The thin hose is no longer used by most installers.
Thank you! I got about a 1/4 inch by twisting the hose. After the first try even though it was clear, once I ran the car and checked while hot it was touching. Then I redid it, moved the hose some more and went to gold town! Now even while hot there's clearance. This thing hauls ***! Thank god my wife knows how to drive or I'd be freaking on the rare occasion she takes it out. What's the larger red tube of sealant for which was optional? I ordered it because I figured well if you're selling it with it I may need it. I can not wait to get this beast to the track Friday.

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 09-10-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Posner
4th Gear

Originally Posted by phantasms
Thank you! I got about a 1/4 inch by twisting the hose. After the first try even though it was clear, once I ran the car and checked while hot it was touching. Then I redid it, moved the hose some more and went to gold town! Now even while hot there's clearance. This thing hauls ***! Thank god my wife knows how to drive or I'd be freaking on the rare occasion she takes it out. What's the larger red tube of sealant for which was optional? I ordered it because I figured well if you're selling it with it I may need it. I can not wait to get this beast to the track Friday.

Best,
Gene
unfortunately got a message that says engine power reduced. check engine light on. looks like I'm going back to stock
Old 09-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Posner
unfortunately got a message that says engine power reduced. check engine light on. looks like I'm going back to stock
Don't go back to stock. If you forgot to disconnect the battery neg before installing the intake, you will get that message 90% of the time.

Simply shut off the ignition, open and close the hood and restart. The message will be gone.

This has been addressed on other posts over the past two years. Very common since the ECU is still on, even with the ignition off. It sees the disconnected MAF cable and sets the REP code, which is a temporary message. Disconnecting the negative side of the battery will prevent this message, and will also make it disappear if the hood open and close does not work.

Our car has seen 300+ of these messages over the past two years of testing. It is a no brainer and is not a reason for concern.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

I was all ready to install the CAI with nomex sock on my Z tonight, but put it on hold after i opened the box. I did watch the Youtube video and the install seems easy. However, in my package I saw a tube of weather strip cement, a temporary rubber lubricant, and some other odds and ends. There is no mention of these extra items in the install video, and I didn't receive any instructions. Just don't want to improperly install the system. Where can I find complete instructions for install? Thanks in advance

Posner
Weather strip cement is for later on when you take off the seal to access the filter for cleaning. The 3M heat activated tape will lose its stickyness over time, and the tube of sealant will revive the stickyness. Apply it on both the seal and the airbox, let dry for 20 minutes and push the seal on the airbox, and it will stick for good.

The second seal is in case the aformentioned doe not work. Heat it up and peal off the red tape, and you have a backup seal.

The P-80 is to help with the 5/16" bypass hose install. Without it, it is very hard to get the bypass line installed.

We are just trying to be complete, and help folks with the install. We even supply the 9/64" Allen wrench for the Stainless MAF screws, since that since is not part of most home wrencher's toolboxes.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Posner
4th Gear

I did get the message to clear with removal of negative battery terminal..... Thanks for the tip- I did search last night and found thread on this so I was prepared to try it this morning. Lastly, when I removed the stock air box and there was a seal around that airbox. There was no seal around the new halltech airbox and the supplied weather stripping wasn't enough to use for this purpose. So, I just up the new box without any seal. Is this how it is designed to work?
xp800 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

I did get the message to clear with removal of negative battery terminal..... Thanks for the tip- I did search last night and found thread on this so I was prepared to try it this morning. Lastly, when I removed the stock air box and there was a seal around that airbox. There was no seal around the new halltech airbox and the supplied weather stripping wasn't enough to use for this purpose. So, I just up the new box without any seal. Is this how it is designed to work?
We were sending out a 48" piece of seal for the opening, but found that all of our installers through it in the garbage and were not using it. The amount of air that could enter that area is very small and it would still be filtered since the area is on the outside of the filter. If you want that seal, we will send it out. Just email me tomorrow and we'll get it out. jim@halltechsystems.com

Jim
Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Halltech
We were sending out a 48" piece of seal for the opening, but found that all of our installers through it in the garbage and were not using it. The amount of air that could enter that area is very small and it would still be filtered since the area is on the outside of the filter. If you want that seal, we will send it out. Just email me tomorrow and we'll get it out. jim@halltechsystems.com

Jim
Now THAT's what I call great customer service!

Phantasms, REALLY looking forward to your results this fall with some great fall air and DA now that you have Jim's CAI installed on your car.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-12-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:01 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Just installed the intake and I can't close the hood and I've tried few different ways of adjusting the box with no luck. Can anyone provide any insights?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:17 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Just installed the intake and I can't close the hood and I've tried few different ways of adjusting the box with no luck. Can anyone provide any insights?
this may help

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rrect-way.html

Last edited by lordofwar; 10-22-2016 at 08:26 PM.
JDMUSCLE (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by phantasms
Hmmm. I didn't get the smaller rubber piece this time around. I did when I first bought it in the initial group buy. I did purchase the tube of weather strip stuff but I have no idea what to do with it. Personally I went a little nuts with the gold foil and my engine bay looks like a McLaren F1 now.

Jim...we love you man but you've got to get these instructions in better shape. It will totally save you time at the end of the day.

FWIW this gen 2 model fits much better than the initial run did. I'll do a write up when I get some time and more miles on it. It's stupid how much stronger the car feels.

Best,
Gene

why did you run your pvc line over the tube instead of underneath?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

I read that thread but hadn't seen that video. I'll take everything off and try this once again. What a pain of an install. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

I read that thread but hadn't seen that video. I'll take everything off and try this once again. What a pain of an install. Thanks for the info.
some guys run the pvc tube over the top of the air tube.i ran mine under for a stock cleaner install look.shortened my overflow rad hose and tirewraped it to the other hoses.this caused the hard line to come somewhat close to the alteniator.but not really close.i cut a piece of rubber hose and put it over the hard line in case it came close to the altenator,but it never did.better safe than sorry.i think jim is working on a different tube for clearance to the radiator hose.that is the worst part of the install.hope he gets it soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Stinger install questions...

Old 10-22-2016, 09:10 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Originally Posted by lordofwar
some guys run the pvc tube over the top of the air tube.i ran mine under for a stock cleaner install look.shortened my overflow rad hose and tirewraped it to the other hoses.this caused the hard line to come somewhat close to the alteniator.but not really close.i cut a piece of rubber hose and put it over the hard line in case it came close to the altenator,but it never did.better safe than sorry.i think jim is working on a different tube for clearance to the radiator hose.that is the worst part of the install.hope he gets it soon.

I'm running the hoses on top and did cut the overflow one a little bit. Thanks for the pics. Do you by any chance have a close up pic of how the box sits against fender panel?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:19 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=JDMUSCLE;1593310592]I'm running the hoses on top and did cut the overflow one a little bit. Thanks for the pics. Do you by any chance have a close up pic of how the box sits against fender panel?maybe hood interference with running hoses on top instead of under neath?

Old 10-23-2016, 05:49 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Call me tomorrow at 10:30. I am in the shop doing an install. I know exactly why you are having this issue. The lower radiator hoses MUST be moved out of the way. There is a right way and wrong way to do that.

Once you do that simply move, the bottom of the airbox will no longer be pushed up by the lower radiator hose.

The other issue is the bypass hose, which MUST be draped over the intake TUBE and not over the airbox. That is the reason for the bypass 14" x 5/16" hose and clamps.

Thank you Phantasm for your help.

Quick Reply: Halltech Stinger install questions...