C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would a aggressive tune do to a automatic 2008 corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 PM
soheil
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what would a aggressive tune do to a automatic 2008 corvette?

new to all this. and how much horsepower would it get?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Forget about HP gain, since your only going to see about a 15hp gain.

Instead, focus on the point of the auto trans tune, and de-hobbing what the TM is holding back, which makes a huge difference in itself instead.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:05 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Forget about HP gain, since your only going to see about a 15hp gain.

Instead, focus on the point of the auto trans tune, and de-hobbing what the TM is holding back, which makes a huge difference in itself instead.

so the tune would make the car shift faster and what else would it do?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:08 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

It seems you are aiming at performance at this stage. I recommend you change headers and exhaust if not NPP and then tune it. You will see a much larger gain than spending the money right now. What kind of tune did you have in mind?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:16 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by slowstang305
It seems you are aiming at performance at this stage. I recommend you change headers and exhaust if not NPP and then tune it. You will see a much larger gain than spending the money right now. What kind of tune did you have in mind?

an aggressive tune. not sure which ones are out there but the best one for overall tuning of the car including bringing responsiveness to paddle shifters
Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by soheil
Torque Management holds back a lot of power especially in 1st and 2nd gear.

I have mine turned off in the tune ....it's a seat of the paints gain but..... you could break stuff ........

I also have a TCM tune , it shifts faster and harder than stock when you are on it but shifts fine when driving normal

If you have not added or plan on adding any bolt on mods, headers , cold air intake etc don't bother spending money on a dyno or street tune .

Get an INTUNE, load the 93 octane tune , load the TCM tune , set the trans tune to firm , turn off torque management and buy a Vitesse Throttle Controller, you will be amazed at the transformation

Dave

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-18-2016 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Iceman007 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 08:50 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I would at least get a less restrictive flowing air intake and then get the engine and tranny tune. A throttle booster would complete the package nicely.
Sorry, didn't realize that you have the LS3. Your air intake is fine!

Last edited by myredhead1; 09-18-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:53 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Torque Management holds back a lot of power especially in 1st and 2nd gear.

I have mine turned off in the tune ....it's a seat of the paints gain but..... you could break stuff ........

I also have a TCM tune , it shifts faster and harder than stock when you are on it but shifts fine when driving normal

If you have not added or plan on adding any bolt on mods, headers , cold air intake etc don't bother spending money on a dyno or street tune .

Get an INTUNE, load the 93 octane tune , load the TCM tune , set the trans tune to firm , turn off torque management and buy a Vitesse Throttle Controller, you will be amazed at the transformation

Dave

Dave

my 08 automatic gets scary fast when i press the gas all the way to the point where tractin control has to step in on the display sometimes. im talking 0 to 100km in 1st gear

Last edited by soheil; 09-18-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

my 08 automatic gets scary fast when i press the gas all the way to the point where tractin control has to step in on the display sometimes. im talking 0 to 100 in 1st gear
Do what I stated above and it will be more than scary fast
Dave
Old 09-18-2016, 10:02 PM
soheil
Instructor

Do what I stated above and it will be more than scary fast
Dave
lol and ppl are talking **** about automatics? this car bone stock is just a monster in full throttle sport mode. i think traction control saved me today lol. coz my manual friend was saying torque converter makes autos lose power but u can turn that off in tune? thats amazing lol

Last edited by soheil; 09-18-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

coz my manual friend was saying torque converter makes autos lose power but u can turn that off in tune?

No, an auto thans has more power loss that a manual in the drive line, due to the torque converter that is needed between the motor the the trans (what acts like the clutch on a auto trans). So an auto trans, you lose around 10 to 15HP through the drive line because of the torque converter.

Now having said this, in 1/4 mile strip racing, you can't shift a manual as fast as an auto trans can self shift, so auto's, even with slight power loss, are faster than a manual trans car in a quarter mile run, if everything thing else on the car is the same.

Where the manual shine, is on a road coarse, since it with a manual, easy to be in the right gear for corner existing instead. Hence the auto trans in the Vet is not a sequential transmission, and is not going to let to bang down gears even close to the point of red line as you are coming down (press and wait instead)
Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

coz my manual friend was saying torque converter makes autos lose power but u can turn that off in tune? thats amazing lol
You are confusing Torque Management with Torque converter

Torque management can me turned off in the tune ... you will feel what the car really has but like I said above , you can break stuff with it off

The parasitic losses in an AUTO are higher than a manual but I am an old Stick guy but I love my Auto .....

Where the manual shine, is on a road coarse, since it with a manual, easy to be in the right gear for corner existing instead. Hence the auto trans in the Vet is not a sequential transmission, and is not going to let to bang down gears even close to the point of red line as you are coming down (press and wait instead)
Dano , you can get an auto to be pretty darn close to a stick nowadays with a good tune , While I cant go from 4th to 1st , I can sure downshift with the best of them with my TCM tune

I am the Red one in this video and that's a McLaren , I am pulling away from in that first turn ......

Dave
Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

The OEM transmission calibration in the 08 is absolutely terrible. It makes the car drive like your grandma's Buick by shifting it into 6th gear at 30mph and then not allowing it to downshift when you push on the gas pedal.

Getting the transmission tuned will yield the most improvement. Doug at ECS has a really good trans tune that I would recommend.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CSixDude
The OEM transmission calibration in the 08 is absolutely terrible. It makes the car drive like your grandma's Buick by shifting it into 6th gear at 30mph and then not allowing it to downshift when you push on the gas pedal.

Getting the transmission tuned will yield the most improvement. Doug at ECS has a really good trans tune that I would recommend.
Or you can just use a Diablo .....

Dave
Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

buddy just get it tuned, by a tuner that knows what he's doing, if your near GA go to Vengeance racing in Cummings Ga you'll get more then 15 hp
Old 09-20-2016, 09:48 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by myredhead1

I would at least get a less restrictive flowing air intake and then get the engine and tranny tune. A throttle booster would complete the package nicely.
Sorry, didn't realize that you have the LS3. Your air intake is fine!
if you get a good tune, you don't need that throttle booster crap
Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
if you get a good tune, you don't need that throttle booster crap
Not unless you wanted the ability to adjust your sensitivity , with a tune you are stuck with whatever you get .......

I use mine all the time , dial it down in the rain , bump it up a bit when racing and click it up to sp9 when I want to make noise and have fun .... try to do that with a tune ......

Dave
damascus1986 (09-20-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To what would a aggressive tune do to a automatic 2008 corvette?

Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

started with the diablo 93 tune in my 08 auto, getting rid of TM just makes the car so much more fun. had some maintence done at a local shop went ahead n switched to a custom tune, not sure how much HP i gained but there was a definite TQ gain over the diablo. just sent it back a month ago for headers and a retune and ITS AWESOME . cool thing about the diablo was i was able to unmarry it and resell it.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Y

Dano , you can get an auto to be pretty darn close to a stick nowadays with a good tune , While I cant go from 4th to 1st , I can sure downshift with the best of them with my TCM tune

Dave
Even with a TCM tune, the vet auto is not going to bang down this hard. Hence notice on some of the down shifts, the clutch is put into play so the downshift does not over rev the engine on the bang down isntead.
Note, on a Sequential transmission, you don't need to use the clutch for either up shifts, or down shifts. So the clutch is used to get the car first moving, and then on hard down shifts, the clutch is used so you are not over rev'g the engine on the hard braking into the corner a major multi gear down shift.

Hence on a 2 stroke, you can over rev a touch on the bang down, but on a 4 stroke, it a fast way to smoke a motor isntead (quick lesson you learn when you move up from shifter Karts, into FF or FM cars next/have to learn to bring the clutch back in play around the track for quick bangs down into hair pins).

https://youtu.be/Fjlm9BoaiZg
Dcasole (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523
Even with a TCM tune, the vet auto is not going to bang down this hard. Hence notice on some of the down shifts, the clutch is put into play so the downshift does not over rev the engine on the bang down isntead.
Note, on a Sequential transmission, you don't need to use the clutch for either up shifts, or down shifts. So the clutch is used to get the car first moving, and then on hard down shifts, the clutch is used so you are not over rev'g the engine on the hard braking into the corner a major multi gear down shift.

Hence on a 2 stroke, you can over rev a touch on the bang down, but on a 4 stroke, it a fast way to smoke a motor isntead (quick lesson you learn when you move up from shifter Karts, into FF or FM cars next/have to learn to bring the clutch back in play around the track for quick bangs down into hair pins).

https://youtu.be/Fjlm9BoaiZg
Good Stuff , thanks !!

Dave

Quick Reply: what would a aggressive tune do to a automatic 2008 corvette?