C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vitesse Throttle Controller Problem?

Old 09-19-2016, 04:59 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Vitesse Throttle Controller Problem?

Hi all.

I have a 2016 Stingray that I've installed a Vitesse Throttle Controller on about 4 months ago. Mostly I've had no issues with it...though on two prior occasions the car has gone into "limp mode" for an unknown reason. During both of those occassions shutting the car down for five minutes or so resolved the issue.

This afternoon I had another "limp mode" experience, and it makes me think the Vitesse is causing it. At start-up, the car indicates "reduced performance available", and active rev match is not available. Shutting the engine off, opening and closing the driver's door, then restarting the engine did not clear the message...but....

Shutting the engine off, then selecting the Vitesse to SP0 (no throttle amplification), then restarting the engine caused the "reduced performance available" message and associated nuisances to go away...until...

I selected any level of boost from the Vitesse, which caused the car to immediately go back into limp mode. I repeated this process three times, and each time the car would immediately revert back into limp mode.

I'll contact Vitesse about this as well, but I thought I'd post here and ask if anyone has experienced similar.

Thanks in advance. I'd sure hate to have to go back to driving the car without the Vitesse.

Last edited by UsernameProtected; 09-19-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:55 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I haven't had any issues with mine, it's been in for ~10 months now. I'll be curious to hear if it is the Vitesse causing your problems, it sure sounds like it. if you remember, an update would be great!
Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Ordered mine more than a week ago and still nothing. Gee their shipping is S L O W.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:09 PM
VAVetteC7
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
Hi all.

I have a 2016 Stingray that I've installed a Vitesse Throttle Controller on about 4 months ago. Mostly I've had no issues with it...though on two prior occasions the car has gone into "limp mode" for an unknown reason. During both of those occassions shutting the car down for five minutes or so resolved the issue.

This afternoon I had another "limp mode" experience, and it makes me think the Vitesse is causing it. At start-up, the car indicates "reduced performance available", and active rev match is not available. Shutting the engine off, opening and closing the driver's door, then restarting the engine did not clear the message...but....

Shutting the engine off, then selecting the Vitesse to SP0 (no throttle amplification), then restarting the engine caused the "reduced performance available" message and associated nuisances to go away...until...

I selected any level of boost from the Vitesse, which caused the car to immediately go back into limp mode. I repeated this process three times, and each time the car would immediately revert back into limp mode.

I'll contact Vitesse about this as well, but I thought I'd post here and ask if anyone has experienced similar.

Thanks in advance. I'd sure hate to have to go back to driving the car without the Vitesse.
I would re calibrating the accelerator pedal servo.
1) Set controller to SP0
2) With car off, not in acc mode either, push the accelerator pedal to the floor, hold it their and push the start button, wait for 2 to 3 seconds and let off the accelerator. This will force the ECU to re calibrate.
3) re calibrate the throttle controller
4) take for a test drive and hopefully your problem is solved.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:58 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Ordered mine more than a week ago and still nothing. Gee their shipping is S L O W.
contact them directly. I had the same issue. As soon as I sent a status request they sent it out that day.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by VAVetteC7
I would re calibrating the accelerator pedal servo.
1) Set controller to SP0
2) With car off, not in acc mode either, push the accelerator pedal to the floor, hold it their and push the start button, wait for 2 to 3 seconds and let off the accelerator. This will force the ECU to re calibrate.
3) re calibrate the throttle controller
4) take for a test drive and hopefully your problem is solved.
I had same problem and recalibration fixed it. Also took main unit out from behind the rug in case it was getting hot.
The following users liked this post:
VAVetteC7 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:49 PM
VitesseMotorsports
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, it's important to re-calibrate the Controller once every few months.

Also, very important not to place the main box under the carpet or next to the Transmission wall... too much heat down there.
The following users liked this post:
VAVetteC7 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VitesseMotorsports

Also, very important not to place the main box under the carpet or next to the Transmission wall... too much heat down there.
I think the Vitesse unit is great. So, if you don't recommend installing the main box under the carpet or next to the Transmission wall due to heat where should we place it? the wires from the pedal to the box are not very long and this limits where we can actually place it.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 478 Posts

I Velcro'd under and then gorilla taped over the box directly under the steering column. It's a nice smooth surface that everything sticks well too.

Last edited by spearfish25; 09-28-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 AM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I just put a piece of velcro on the back of the box and stuck it right to the carpet. Works fine and out of the way.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:35 PM
VitesseMotorsports
Instructor

Yes, right under the dash plastic , under the steering wheel column.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Dan4time
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regarding recalibration...

Hello, I purchased the controller about one month ago. It is fantastic for "seat of the pants" performance. Regarding the re calibration, do you mean just following the original set up instructions when I first installed the controller? Also, I believe you said every two to three months?

Thank you in advance.

Dan
Old 10-01-2016, 06:13 PM
VitesseMotorsports
Instructor

Yes, the same calibration you did the first time, it's suggested to do it every 2 or 3 months.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:53 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

I went to order this controller tonight a saw the giant disclaimer to not use it on the street. I did not order it. I am on the fence now.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

That disclaimer is Vitesse doing a CYA..
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Yes, the same calibration you did the first time, it's suggested to do it every 2 or 3 months.
I wish I had known this before I ordered mine.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I've had mine in since Dec., '15 and have never had a problem with it or had to recalibrate it. Easily the best mod I've done on my C7 and one of the best I've done on any Vette I've owned and that's a bunch of mods.

Get notified of new replies

To Vitesse Throttle Controller Problem?

Old 10-02-2016, 12:09 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by oemtech
That disclaimer is Vitesse doing a CYA..
Oh yeah, I get that. But in covering their *** it kind of puts a spotlight on my *** if I get into an accident.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by falconhulk
Oh yeah, I get that. But in covering their *** it kind of puts a spotlight on my *** if I get into an accident.
No more than if you put high performance brakes or a supercharger or a ported throttle body on. It doesn't make the car harder to drive just better.

Even the service writers at the dealership doing warranty work on mine don't care and even ask where they can get one for their car.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:44 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
No more than if you put high performance brakes or a supercharger or a ported throttle body on. It doesn't make the car harder to drive just better.

Even the service writers at the dealership doing warranty work on mine don't care and even ask where they can get one for their car.
Yes, but I venture to say that if push comes to shove... your SA will speak the party line and side with GM and/or the dealer.

Now you can get into a pissing contest with them via the Magnuson Moss Act in they have to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure. Good luck with that.... as you will need deep pockets and a good lawyer.

Bottomline.... you play you pay! So, if you want 100% warranty leave it stock and no mods what so ever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vitesse Throttle Controller Problem?