Sponsored by:

Failing To Put Shifter Fully into Gear Slot

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:26 PM
craig_vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Failing To Put Shifter Fully into Gear Slot

Brace yourself for possibly the dumbest yet sincere question ever posted. I have a 2000 FRC M6 that I OCCASIONALLY fail to put the shifter fully into gear. When this happens and I let off the clutch, it sounds like shotgun underneath the transmission and jolts the entire car. It's quite embarrassing. Is there a reason this might be happening to me or is it just me not being careful enough? Sometimes I think I'm fully into gear and can't "tell" it's slightly out until I let off the clutch and BAM! Is there a name for this?

Last edited by craig_vette; 09-20-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:51 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

When I first bought my 2003 this happened to me a few times. I think it is just a newbie kind of thing but not sure how long you have been driving your 2000. Not too long after owning the car I put a new clutch in and never had that happen again. I'm not sure if I just got accustomed to the feel of the shifter or it had something to do with my new clutch install.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah it happens rarely to me too. I **** myself off everytime it happens lol. I think its just the nature of the car and how notchy the trans is.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:32 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

I too have had this happen, mostly in 1st, a few times going to 3rd. Makes a fair "bang" noise. I've learned to take extra care on those gears. I still don't know if it was operator error or that horrible stock shifter. Until I know for sure I'll take responsibility, but an MGW shifter is my next upgrade in the very near future. Take care all!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:56 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I had that happen on a couple of occasions and in my case it was more of a case of in-attention to what I was doing. I now make certain that the clutch is fully depressed and the shifter if fully toward the dash.

In my previous 'stick'cars, I never had to fully depress the clutch to switch and engage the gears. Not so with my Vette. Took me awhile to learn but finally did. While learning, it was embarrassing.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:25 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I've had that happen in first and reverse a few times. Now I just know to keep slight pressure on the stick as I feather in the clutch. And if I wasn't fully in gear, it *clicks* in with very little effort. Now if that's happening to you a lot while at speed then it might be a sign that your clutch isn't releasing fully.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:24 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

It happens mostly when in a hurry.

Go slow and gently, it will go right in. Two "clicks."
Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

stock shifter??... I've never had that happen with my mgw, you can totally tell if it's in gear or not... you might also check the shifter alignment, if it's a hair off in either direction that could cause some failed shifts
Old 09-20-2016, 08:45 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

It will happen on any manual trans vehicle if not placed into gear all the way. If at all possible try not to do it as it is not good for your synchronizers and related components. But yes we have all done it and felt like a goof when it happend.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:47 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

The stock "slush box" on these cars are terrible. I put the Hinson shifter in, and it's probably one of my favorite upgrades. It really makes driving an M6 C5 a precise and exciting experience.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-21-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:13 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The stock "slush box" on these cars are terrible. I put the Hinson shifter in, and it's probably one of my favorite upgrades. It really makes driving an M6 C5 a precise and exiting experience.
Absolutely hands down my biggest irritation concerning my C5. I really don't have much to complain about, love C5's, but that damned stock shifter..... Best wishes!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Always turned my off with the shifter in neutral and then put in gear and get her off gear before I start her again. Guess it's a habit, had stick cars all my life. Muscle memory !!!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

This might sound silly. Move your seat forward one notch. I bet it will make a difference.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you are still using the stock shifter, you might try the modified Hurst shifter assembled by Coreshifters. It has a more positive feel when it full goes into gear and does shorten the throw over stock. This is NOT the Hurst billet shifter.
Had it in my C5, and moved to the C7.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 AM
Ricks99FRC
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

When I got my 99 Frc was having this problem but once I changed the fluid in the trans I never had it happen again.

Last edited by Ricks99FRC; 10-26-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
This might sound silly. Move your seat forward one notch. I bet it will make a difference.
This is actually what I had to do.

Prior to purchasing my C5 I had read to a large degree that the stock shifter setup leads a lot to be desired and it's notch-y nature is not something that you can necessarily hurry. I'm fairly short, but I quickly realized the major issue I was having was I wasn't sitting close enough to the wheel and often I wasn't fully depressing the clutch.

I don't think the FRC's have the easy entry/exit option as they have the base seats (again I cannot recall specifically) but that's one of the really awesome things I love about my C5 targa. I don't have to worry about sitting so close because when I exit the car the DIC function for easy entry/exit moves the seat all the way back. When I insert my key I'm pushed into proper position and don't have to deal with fumbling around with the seat position.

I also agree with another point. Try not to rest your right hand on the shifter while driving at any point. I know that takes the "fun" out of a manual transmission but you need to let the shifter jostle around on it's own. Your hand should only be touching the shifter when it's time to shift a gear. Full depressing of the clutch and then shifting into the gear gets it in gear easier, rather than having your hand on the shifter, depressing the clutch, then selecting.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
stock shifter??... I've never had that happen with my mgw, you can totally tell if it's in gear or not... you might also check the shifter alignment, if it's a hair off in either direction that could cause some failed shifts
you were reading my mind, stock shifter no idea half the time what gear I was going in or out of (or missing). With the MGW I know instantly what gear !

Get notified of new replies

To Failing To Put Shifter Fully into Gear Slot

Old 10-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A LOT of great recommendations. Here are some concrete things that you should check:

1. Your stock shifter (the lower shift box and upper shift handle) can and do wear out. May be time for an UP-GRADE!

2. The actual shift box on the LS1 MN6 C5 is mounted with TWO small RUBBER isolators on the TORQUE TUBE. These rubber isolators can and frequently deteriorate and cause the shifter to MOVE when you shift. The SHIFT BOX MOVEMENT prevents the shift rod that connects the shifter to the transmission from fully engaging and POOF. Tt pops out of gear because it cant move enough to properly engage the gear..
SHIFT the gear and look for any shift box/shifter lost motion! There should be little to NONE for proper shifter operation.

3. There is a shifter alignment procedure that should be performed. NOTE, IF,,, the rubber bushings are worn, this alignment will NEVER stay properly adjusted!!!

The FOUR fasteners that connect the shifter rod/ball to the shift box can and do sometimes come loose and cause this very issue. Make sure that the four fasteners are properly tightened to the correct INCH/POUND value!

ALL IN ALL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The absolute BEST recommendation that we can give you is GET RID of that POS stock shifter and install a HINDSON, MGW or Kirban aftermarket shifter.

You will be AMAZED at the precise and crisp shifts that a good aftermarket shifter will give you. Its one of those OMG moments the first ride! YEP,, TRUST US!

Some other things that you should look at. Have you ever changed the CLUTCH FLUID??????? If not, its going to be NASTY/BLACK/THICK and most likely LOW OUT OF SPEC! Take a look at that too!!

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
friou (10-26-2016), Sydwayz (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 01:59 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricks99FRC
When I got my 99 Frc was having this problem but once I changed the fluid in the trans I never had it happen again.
Totally agree. I was having the same problem at around 70k, plus the odd "grind" going into 5th. Decided to do the obvious first - change the fluid in the 'box. A refill with Dex/Merc (non synthetic) cured everything. Lever slips into gear easily in any gear. Despite there not being a service interval for the trans fluid in the M6, it seems changing it every 50k or so miles is a very good idea.

I am running the OEM shifter assembly, tightened up, bolted down hard and with a shortened stock lever. Absolutely no doubt what gear I am slotting into. The OEM shifter assembly is NOT a POS - I have had this car from new and when new it was tight and positive - and it is again after some pretty basic basic maintenance. No need to spend $$$ on a replacement shift assembly - my total "fix" cost was about $50 - including a new Hurst shift ****, the 9/16x18 die to recut the threads, a jug of trans fluid, plus a few hours work on the bench dismantling and tightening up the shifter box.

Last edited by jackthelad; 10-26-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:53 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
If you are still using the stock shifter, you might try the modified Hurst shifter assembled by Coreshifters. It has a more positive feel when it full goes into gear and does shorten the throw over stock. This is NOT the Hurst billet shifter.
Had it in my C5, and moved to the C7.

I darn near hate chrome, but really like that shifter...

Quick Reply: Failing To Put Shifter Fully into Gear Slot