C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Cold oil check

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:02 PM
XHELLCAT
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cold oil check

1st i know to check hot , just looking at & cleaning under hood and pulled dipstick showing real low is that right

rob
Old 09-21-2016, 07:24 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

So....

You checked it under inappropriate conditions and you're asking for advice on how to interpret it? Start the car, heat it up and check it the right way.

Come on buddy.
The following 2 users liked this post by spearfish25:
bills02 (09-23-2016), MindBend (09-23-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 07:31 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Yes. You must check engine oil w/dry sump tank after oil reaches at least 175 & then wait 5-10 after shutting down to check oil level. It only has to be "between" the hash marks. Too many folks want it right at the top hole & you are asking for possible problems if you misjudge & overfill. Too much is worse than "low" again between the hash marks/holes. My '16 Z has a info plastic tag right on the fill cap. I suppose too many dealer techs weren't familiar with this tank & over-serviced. Happened twice on my '14 Z51 Stingray & once at 500 miles change on this one even tho I brought it up to service mgr. before service was done. Always check at dealer after oil is warm & shut down & check 5-10 later before you leave just in case. Too late if you drive it for awhile & have engine damage. They will probably blame you. If you pull the stick when cold it may not even register on it or will show very low. When mine was over full, I simply used clear plastic tubing 1/2" dia. snaked it down filler hole hung it down outside of fender (make sure outside tube opening is below opening of tube inside of tank or you won't get it to continue to draw when you put into your container to catch fluid). Simply suck on it hard & watch the fluid, when it gets close to your lips-stop sucking (unless you're partial to taste of oil! I use large measuring cup to see how much I'm removing.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

PS- Spearfish25 forgets, once upon a time he didn't know it all either. (Just pulling your crank '25-don't go nuclear on me).
Old 09-21-2016, 07:49 PM
XHELLCAT
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

last thing you want to do is start the car and not drive it ....
Old 09-21-2016, 10:17 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by XHELLCAT
last thing you want to do is start the car and not drive it ....
Because it will just sit idling or you'll be depriving yourself of the fun of driving?

I'm not being a smart ***. It just doesn't make sense if the manufacturer tells you how to do something so you instead try to do it another way.

That being said, why can't they just make two recommended levels for the oil? X when hot and Y when cold. Just about every other reservoir on the car has a hot and cold level.
The following users liked this post:
XHELLCAT (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

When full the system takes 9.8 quarts of oil. That will put oil on the dipstick right at the top hole. If you are going to track the car GM recommends adding a half quart taking the amount of oil to 10.3 quarts. That will place the the point on the dipstick where you see oil about a quarter inch above the top dot.

Never checked it hot then let it cool to see where it might lie with cold oil.

Bill
XHELLCAT (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Just be thankful we still have dipsticks. I have two cars where you have to ask the computer, and 99% of the time the "Conditions are not correct". It's got to be a certain temp, angle, amount of time since running, and so on.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Because it will just sit idling or you'll be depriving yourself of the fun of driving?

I'm not being a smart ***. It just doesn't make sense if the manufacturer tells you how to do something so you instead try to do it another way.

That being said, why can't they just make two recommended levels for the oil? X when hot and Y when cold. Just about every other reservoir on the car has a hot and cold level.
The oil reservoir gravity feeds the oil pump and when the engine it not running, oil will pass through the oil pump and end up in the engine oil pan. The amount of oil that ends up in the oil pan depends on the temp of the oil, clearances in the oil pump, and how long the engine has been sitting(not running).

The oil dipstick only reads the level of the oil in the reservoir, not BOTH the level of oil in the reservoir AND the oil pan.

Thus, it is important to check the oil level before some of the oil in the reservoir leaks through the oil pump into the oil pan.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-22-2016 at 02:20 PM.
XHELLCAT (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 02:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When full the system takes 9.8 quarts of oil. That will put oil on the dipstick right at the top hole. If you are going to track the car GM recommends adding a half quart taking the amount of oil to 10.3 quarts. That will place the the point on the dipstick where you see oil about a quarter inch above the top dot.

Bill
Only overfill by a half quart when actually tracking the car. After the track event is over, remove any excess oil, so that the oil level is between the "FULL' mark, and the "Add OIL" lower mark on the dipstick.

DO NOT run the car on the street if there is over 9.8 quarts of oil in the engine.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

There is some merit in having a way to check the oil cold. Otherwise, if you receive a car that has an uncertain amount of oil in it, your only option is to drain it refill it and then start it. Otherwise you could risk damaging the engine if it's an overfill or underfill situation.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
Yes. You must check engine oil w/dry sump tank after oil reaches at least 175 & then wait 5-10 after shutting down to check oil level. . . .

Best to check the oil level after 5 minutes and before 7 minutes, around 6 minutes as by much later than 7 and certainly by 10 minutes the oil is already running back into the engine pan. If one will carefully measure in the 9.8qts. at their next oil change, then run engine to proper temperature, check oil level at 5 to 6 minutes after shutting the engine down, and carefully notating where the level is between the hash marks it should be at that same place on the dip stick every time one checks the oil so long as they follow the same procedure each time.

Remember, GM suggests that one checks their oil level while refueling at the gas station and I believe they recommend doing it every time you stop for gas!

Last edited by Sk8Man_; 09-22-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Some of you act like this is the first dry sump car ever produced. I used to own a dry sump Aprilia Supermoto bike....now THAT thing was a bitch to check and change the oil.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 AM
MindBend
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The efforts are worth the rewards. Every serious race car has it. Use it, love it, embrace it!
Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM
errante
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I had some oil in the the throttle body. (Please, I do not want to ignite a catch can debate)! The dealer said there is a new service bulletin that says to only put in 9.5 quarts of oil (including filter) during an oil change for the LT4. I have not changed the oil yet (actually I have the dealer do it) to see where that is on the dipstick.

One thing for sure the consensus that the oil level can only be checked after the engine has run and is warm, like when you fill up with fuel.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Some of you act like this is the first dry sump car ever produced. I used to own a dry sump Aprilia Supermoto bike....now THAT thing was a bitch to check and change the oil.
That's funny...those Aprilias barely held a cup of oil

A buddy of mine "hardly checked it" on his, and it self destructed quickly

Last edited by Rd16rr; 09-29-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Rd16rr
That's funny...those Aprilias barely held a cup of oil

A buddy of mine "hardly checked it" on his, and it self destructed quickly
maybe one of the most fun bikes I ever owned though. SXV550

Get notified of new replies

To Cold oil check

Quick Reply: Cold oil check