Sponsored by:

Renting a Corvette from SF to LA, California

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:31 AM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Renting a Corvette from SF to LA, California

My wife and I for our 30th wedding anniversary are considering a driving vacay from San Francisco to Los Angles via the Pacific Coast Highway in May 2017. We would like to rent a C7-Rag Top one way to LA.

I would like to ask the following questions to the group:
1) Is this a reasonable request?
2) Are there rental car firms that will rent Corvettes one way?
3) Is one week enough time to stop and enjoy the trip?
4) What suggested travel guides, would one suggest that I read in advance for preparation?
5) Has anyone taken the same trip?
6) What was good?
7) Having taken the trip, what would you suggest changing?

Thank you,
David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
1964 SCARLTT red rag top with 138,000 miles
2006 REDRCKT coupe with 184,000 miles
Old 09-23-2016, 08:40 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 506 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by davidavedesian
My wife and I for our 30th wedding anniversary are considering a driving vacay from San Francisco to Los Angles via the Pacific Coast Highway in May 2017. We would like to rent a C7-Rag Top one way to LA.
1) Is this a reasonable request? yes
2) Are there rental car firms that will rent Corvettes one way? I think hertz still rents them probably enterprise as well
3) Is one week enough time to stop and enjoy the trip? More is always better but a week should do it
4) What suggested travel guides, would one suggest that I read in advance for preparation?
5) Has anyone taken the same trip? I recently spent a week in Carmel/ Monteray
6) What was good? PCH is absolutly wonderful the Carmel area is so beautiful consider staying there and using is as a base and not driving down to LA. Point lobos state park, Carmel itself bixby bridge, pfiffer state park big sur I could go on it was easy to just spend a week there

Thank you,
David Avedesian
Silver Spring, MD
1964 SCARLTT red rag top with 138,000 miles
2006 REDRCKT coupe with 184,000 miles

Last edited by dashotgun; 09-23-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Enterprise does rent them. They have then in Vegas and Seattle under enterprise exotics at the airport. Call any office, I'm sure they can guide you to one.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:36 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by davidavedesian

1) Is this a reasonable request?
How would it be unreasonable? If you have the money it's doable.

2) Are there rental car firms that will rent Corvettes one way?
Not sure about one way but I know Hertz rents these from SFO. I know because I did it. But I didn't go one way. Expect about $250/day, 200 free miles and $0.75/mile thereafter.

Google says SF -> LA is about 435 miles (See this route) - so you should take on about $175.00 in milage charges provided you don't drive around a lot more say touring Hollywood in LA.

3) Is one week enough time to stop and enjoy the trip?
I've done this route at least 7 times, sometimes going North and sometimes going South - usually in just one day. There's lots to see and do round Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, etc. Going down Big Sur there are 75 miles of twisty rode where you have a 1000 foot mountain on your left and a 200-300 foot drop to the ocean on your right. There are many vista points and some other places to sightsee. If you do plan on taking many days to drive this I would suggest you do your homework and find places to stop and spend the night. There aren't many or rather I've seen them along the way but I have yet to find such small cabin places on the net to make reservations. I would nail some of them down and measure using Google Maps, how far it is between points. Also, if they are your stopping point, Google around to find what interesting things are nearby.

See above. Basically Google. I guess some Tomas guides would be useful but honestly I haven't used such stuff in decades.

5) Has anyone taken the same trip?
As I've said above - I've done this route at least 7 times.

6) What was good?
It was good but it's a lot longer of a trip than shooting down 5 or 101, which I tend to do more often to go though Paso Robles for wine tasting. Note this, if you plan on coming off the coast to go say to Paso or other places, you will find there are not often routes through the mountains or if there is they'll be a massive round about way to get there. It would definitely pour on lots more miles (@ $0.75 mile).

That said, most of my times on this route I did not explore the local areas very much. It was good, but long and you did get used to the scenery and just want to get to your destination. I think, had I booked places to stay and stayed several days it would be even better of an experience but my purpose was to say get to LA but have a scenic drive.

As stated above, I'd like to take a couple of days to explore the local area. I'd like to find one of those tucked away cabin like places, book the weekend, then go there and pray for rain. Get away. Read a book...

HTH.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 AM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Wow.
Some many good ideas.
Thank you,
David
Silver Spring, MD
Old 09-25-2016, 08:56 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

I live in Carmel. I've driven the entire California coast probably five times both ways. I driven from Monterey/Carmel Big Sur to Cambria probably 30 times since I've lived here.The Monterey peninsula/Big Sur area is the absolute most beautiful coastal area on the entire West coast of America. You really don't have to go down to SoCal as it's no where near the natural beauty that Central California provides. There is so many things to do here that are fun and can be sophisticated or simplistic depending on your budget. Hiking into the coastal hidden beaches for a sunset with wine and your favorite appetizers will score big time with your little lady. Phenomenal restaurants, wine tasting, seafood, world class golf, hiking, art scene, Jazz Festival and music scene, on and on and on......
Old 09-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

When you get down near LA, be sure to visit these roads:

http://sons-of-speed.com/blog1/2016/...ives-near-l-a/
Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

here are some pictures from Carmel and big sur to whet your appetite

http://davidsdigitalvision.zenfolio.com/p363693383

Last edited by dashotgun; 09-25-2016 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skank (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 02:12 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by dashotgun
here are some pictures from Carmel and big sur to whet your appetite

http://davidsdigitalvision.zenfolio.com/p363693383

David
This is a great photo tour from Pacific Grove down to Big Sur. All photos essentially within 40 miles of each other. Excellent !!!
The following users liked this post:
dashotgun (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 03:01 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skank
David
This is a great photo tour from Pacific Grove down to Big Sur. All photos essentially within 40 miles of each other. Excellent !!!
thanks we had a great time there you are lucky to live nearby
Old 09-27-2016, 06:09 AM
davidavedesian
Intermediate

Big Sur here I come.

Wow again. The photos are over the top.

You sold me on the beauty but who can resist wine, cheese, sunsets and your lady.

Thank you,

David
Silver Spring, MD
Old 09-27-2016, 12:40 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

David, we rented a C7 in San Diego a few years ago. The price is negotiable!!!

At the rental counter the guy says $4XX/day and I replied, "that's more than I wanted to spend." He asked what I wanted to spend and I said, "around $250" and that's what I rented it for.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:30 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
David, we rented a C7 in San Diego a few years ago. The price is negotiable!!!

At the rental counter the guy says $4XX/day and I replied, "that's more than I wanted to spend." He asked what I wanted to spend and I said, "around $250" and that's what I rented it for.
Funny because when I rented from Hertz in Vegas and at SFO they simply said $250. Looks like that guy was trying to rip you off bigtime.

BTW I believe that bridge is the Bixby Bridge - Yup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bixby_Creek_Bridge

Last edited by defaria; 09-27-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:15 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

The wife and I did the Coast Hwy from La Jolla to Monterey and then over to Yosemite and back to San Francisco via Napa Valley, 10 days and 1400 mi. in July. I wanted to rent a C7 convert but the rental prices were out of sight and a convertible C7 was tough to even find, so I picked up a Mustang GT Convert at LAX from Avis for $329.70 a week and dropped it off at SFO. It was a wonderful fun trip.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 PM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

We rented a SUV in San Fran, spent 3 days sight seeing there, then drove PC hwy down to Pismo beach first night. Stayed at Kon Tiki Inn on the beach. Had a very good room. Drove back up to Hurst Castle next day, then went on down to LA. Turned car in. It was something like $2000 for 10 days to rent the large SUV

On another male bonding trip I made with some friends when we went to Bonneville speed weeks then went on the CA to do the highway we stayed at Ragged Point Inn, about 15 mi. north of San Semeon, a little more rustic, but you could fall out of the sliding door of your room and down the cliff

Get notified of new replies

To Renting a Corvette from SF to LA, California

Quick Reply: Renting a Corvette from SF to LA, California