C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud exhaust - help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 05:16 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Loud exhaust - help

I'm buying a 72 350 with super comp headers and side pipes.. No inserts.. Very loud. :-)

I'm going to try adding some STS or Sweet Thunder inserts to see if it can quiet is down enough to not be an issue driving around own as that's mostly where I'll drive her. Not sure what to expect here..

I heard someone mention they had some kind of dual mode exhaust.. you can flip a switch to go from loud to quiet.. Maybe something similar to bi mode exhaust on newer vettes.. but something I can do with a 72 that has side pipes..

I love the look of side pipes and don;t want to get rid of them.. so looking at my options.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank You
Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sakins.02vert
I'm buying a 72 350 with super comp headers and side pipes.. No inserts.. Very loud. :-)

I'm going to try adding some STS or Sweet Thunder inserts to see if it can quiet is down enough to not be an issue driving around own as that's mostly where I'll drive her. Not sure what to expect here..

I heard someone mention they had some kind of dual mode exhaust.. you can flip a switch to go from loud to quiet.. Maybe something similar to bi mode exhaust on newer vettes.. but something I can do with a 72 that has side pipes..

I love the look of side pipes and don;t want to get rid of them.. so looking at my options.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank You

I too have loud side pipes but mine do have mufflers inside, as a first step I'm going to slide them out and cut them open as I suspect the sound deadening mat has broken up over the years and is now ineffective, if so I'll repack them and weld them back together.
Graham
Old 09-28-2016, 03:04 PM
saunderscx
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any experience with side pipes but if it's just a matter of unbolting the back half and dropping in an insert I'd go that route. Found this article just now online. This company (Dougs) offers 3 inserts for their product. Installation of a full new set of headers/pipes looks pretty easy provided you've got access to a lift. I might just have to look into it for my 72. I really dig the look.

http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-s...dougs-headers/

Last edited by saunderscx; 09-28-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:19 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

try the sweet thunder 2" inside diameter insert

Last edited by MelWff; 09-28-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Left side earplug enjoy your hotrod
Old 09-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9FSNNJn8qg

this is a pretty built 383 with maxflow inserts, not super loud, but should give you an idea of what to expect vs yours with straight throughs.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

If you can install a balance pipe between the left and right exhaust it will tone down the noise a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud exhaust - help

Quick Reply: Loud exhaust - help