C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 vette ground problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 AM
marpout
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 59 vette ground problem

I cannot get my 59 to have right blinker or brake light working. i even ran a wire from mounting bolts to frame and still neither work. please offer a suggestion. thank you . ps. the light itself works.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Back up to a reflective surface and with the key in the ON position apply turn signal and brakes separately while jiggling the turn signal handle - report results...
Old 09-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Check ground wire on top stud of rear taillight (inside trunk) for continuity. They can become loose or have oxidation
Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Frankie dead on, most likely turn signal switch
Old 09-24-2016, 02:04 PM
marpout
Cruising

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Back up to a reflective surface and with the key in the ON position apply turn signal and brakes separately while jiggling the turn signal handle - report results...
I only get a faint indicator light on the dash board and it does not blink
Old 09-24-2016, 02:58 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default grounding problem

Originally Posted by marpout
I cannot get my 59 to have right blinker or brake light working. i even ran a wire from mounting bolts to frame and still neither work. please offer a suggestion. thank you . ps. the light itself works.
This turn signal brake light problem is a C-1 problem just make sure the turn signal lever is in the center after a turn. BILLcool:
Old 09-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The next step is to find these connectors under the steering column and push each individual wire into the connector as far as it will go..make sure the wire entering one side matches the color of the wire exiting the corresponding position on the OTHER side of the connector..

If that doesn't help you may have ground issues at the rear harness/tail light sockets.
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2016, 06:20 AM
marpout
Cruising

Default 59 ground problem

Originally Posted by jmschmit
This turn signal brake light problem is a C-1 problem just make sure the turn signal lever is in the center after a turn. BILLcool:
thanks Bill .
Old 09-25-2016, 06:22 AM
marpout
Cruising

yes , i did that and still nothing. thanks!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:24 AM
marpout
Cruising

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Check ground wire on top stud of rear taillight (inside trunk) for continuity. They can become loose or have oxidation
yes i have continuity thanks!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:25 AM
marpout
Cruising

Originally Posted by hope2
Frankie dead on, most likely turn signal switch
thanks i will get a new turn signal switch.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:28 AM
marpout
Cruising

The next step is to find these connectors under the steering column and push each individual wire into the connector as far as it will go..make sure the wire entering one side matches the color of the wire exiting the corresponding position on the OTHER side of the connector..

If that doesn't help you may have ground issues at the rear harness/tail light sockets.
yes wires and connectors are in good position and clean. thanks .
Old 09-25-2016, 06:33 AM
marpout
Cruising

no luck jiggling, i will clean up other grounds and maybe pull off steering wheel and check signal switch. thanks. marc from casselberry fl.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well if you have a good schematic and are clever you can switch wires around in the connector above and 'fool' the turn signal switch by swapping left and right flash circuits.

If that WORKS for the right side then you have a problem at the switch and not in the rearward wiring; if it FAILS then you do indeed have rearward wiring issues...

I'm in Winter Garden so you're not that far away if you can't figure it out...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-25-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

yes i have continuity thanks!
One other thing, did you double check the bulb to make sure it is correct, working, and inserted properly in the socket? It should only fit it one way but it's hard to see.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:01 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

ps. the light itself works.

Do your taillights work?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:35 PM
dennis6605
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Ground problem

Originally Posted by buns
Do your taillights work?
I just had this same problem on my '59, same light. Before you buy parts or tear column apart. Strip a wire 1/2-3/4" and put in socket along the base of the bulb. Make sure its not in deep enough to make connection to the source [hot wire]. Put the other end on a good ground. If this works then you have oxidation between where the socket is pressed into the tail light housing [potmetal I believe]. That is what my problem was. I found the smallest screw I could find and drilled where the two are pressed together. Fixed my mine [no expense] and I could quit scratching my head. Hope yours is as easy.
P.S. I tried grounding the base from inside the trunk and that didn't work.

Good Luck
Dennis
Old 10-23-2016, 06:19 PM
marpout
Cruising

Thanks FRANKIE, the wires into the connectors were miss matched, hard to see and easy to miss. You saved me from ordering parts and pulling steering wheel off. All lights work now , right turn signal is a little slower than left but working. Im very pleased. thanks to you and finding the corvette forum.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Thanks FRANKIE, the wires into the connectors were miss matched, hard to see and easy to miss. You saved me from ordering parts and pulling steering wheel off. All lights work now , right turn signal is a little slower than left but working. Im very pleased. thanks to you and finding the corvette forum.
A thorough physical inspection of components is always good before tearing into things...that's where I was leading you back in post #7

Seriously, glad you got it fixed...C1 electrical problems are some of the most frustrating issues you will ever have to deal with on these cars

Get notified of new replies

To 59 vette ground problem

Quick Reply: 59 vette ground problem