C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question: 99 PCM in a 01...will it hurt anything?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 PM
at88mph
Team Owner

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Quick question: 99 PCM in a 01...will it hurt anything?

Ok so long story short, got a heads/cam replacement engine that I dropped in and it also came with the PCM that is tuned for it. However, the PCM is a 99 and my C5 is a 01. I took mine to a local shop here to get a tune done to my PCM but, even though they've done a few Vette's, they specialize in imports. The problem is my idle; When I first start it up, its high (1200 RPM) when it warms up and I push in the clutch, sometimes the idle will fall too fast and either sputter or die. (it's really slim pickings here in Mobile, Al for tuners so I dunno what I'm gonna do about that but..)

In the interm, if I put the 99 PCM in my 01, will it hurt anything? I don't care about CEL but I don't wana possibly damage any systems or sensors or anything.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

PCM needs to be re-learned with a tech 2 (re-programmed with vin number)might have to re-learn the ignition key also)

Last edited by Pounder; 09-24-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Your tuner can also program in your correct vin number into the PCM. It should have been done when he did the tune. What it sounds like you have an imbalance in your tune between the amount of fuel and air (desired idle air) at idle. This is common when changing the MAF tables, adding cold air, porting the TB, changing to smooth couplers, etc. a RAFIG should be able to correct this on a manual trans.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

i stuck an S10's PCM in my vette at one point, so yea it'll work fine. you can completely disable VATs and do a push button, too, just have to have the computer appropriately setup.

anybody doing it with a Tech2 should be a friend or a dealer doing it for free... in my experience, the dealer charges entirely too much to take that tool out of the drawer.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 PM
at88mph
Team Owner

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone!!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by sean.b
i stuck an S10's PCM in my vette at one point, so yea it'll work fine. you can completely disable VATs and do a push button, too, just have to have the computer appropriately setup.
I was on the phone yesterday with AC Delco TDS and was told that while some PCMs are not interchangeable, they really are fairly standardized and that if you keep to the same model year, you can usually get away with almost anything.

anybody doing it with a Tech2 should be a friend or a dealer doing it for free... in my experience, the dealer charges entirely too much to take that tool out of the drawer.
Truer works have not been spoken. I bought a Tech2 for less money than the stealership wanted to reprogram my PCM, and they wanted to haul the car in for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question: 99 PCM in a 01...will it hurt anything?

Quick Reply: Quick question: 99 PCM in a 01...will it hurt anything?