C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Current cost to import from Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:16 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Default Current cost to import from Canada?

I've heard this discussed before, but I don't know if it was answered firmly and if there's been changes.

Do any of our Canadian members know for sure exactly what the costs are for importing a car from a dealer in Canada to the US? Is there a difference if I have it picked up by an individual with a trailer as opposed to a carrier service?

Customs, fees, etc?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I've heard this discussed before, but I don't know if it was answered firmly and if there's been changes.

Do any of our Canadian members know for sure exactly what the costs are for importing a car from a dealer in Canada to the US? Is there a difference if I have it picked up by an individual with a trailer as opposed to a carrier service?

Customs, fees, etc?
I live in Canada and sold two C1's to people in the US last year. All you need at the border is the bill of sale and registrations. There were no charges at the border.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:59 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Customs, fees, etc?
USA made goods have NO import duty because they are made here. I brought one back with a title and a bill of sale.

Last edited by kenba; 09-25-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:55 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by kenba
USA made goods have NO import duty because they are made here. I brought one back with a title and a bill of sale.
I wonder how they would view a Pantera... US distributor (Ford) but Italian build ( DeTomaso)?
Old 09-25-2016, 01:41 PM
cblankin
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If it was sold new at a US Ford dealership it would a USA
car. Don't recall ever seeing a Pantera dealership in the US.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:09 PM
jimrat
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imported a '62 from Ontario to Florida last year and concur with all of the previous answers. The Customs guy at the border was more interested in seeing the car than he was at viewing the paperwork.

Registering it in Florida was quite easy... I did have to make a trip to the Florida State offices to verify Ontario title with the VIN before taking the papers to the County Office to get a title issued, but it was a ten-minute deal. No fees beyond what you would pay on buying an ordinary car from an individual...sales tax, license plate, etc. Your state may differ...
Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by cblankin
The Panera was only sold by certain Lincoln Mercury dealers. No Ford dealers ships sold them.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:53 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by RJ1
The Pantera was only sold by certain Lincoln Mercury dealers. No Ford dealers ships sold them.
potatoe, potahdo; tomato, tomahto....

Bill
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1
The Panera was only sold by certain Lincoln Mercury dealers. No Ford dealers ships sold them.
Lincoln Mercury dealers sold bread and sandwiches?. Was it a separate restaurant in the dealerships?
Old 09-25-2016, 07:31 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Lincoln Mercury dealers sold bread and sandwiches?. Was it a separate restaurant in the dealerships?
That must be why Bill was talking about soups!
Old 09-25-2016, 11:34 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

So nobody got hit with a big bill at the border? I looked at bringing a car in during 2013 and I heard stories of a hefty % for some sort of tax or fee.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:09 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

So nobody got hit with a big bill at the border? I looked at bringing a car in during 2013 and I heard stories of a hefty % for some sort of tax or fee.
No import tax or anything, (this was at the beginning of 2015) but I had to fill out some paperwork with the local Customs office (no cost) before I could transfer the ownership registration into a Michigan title for my '57.

Rich
Old 09-26-2016, 09:08 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Sandwiches and soup was only sold on Ford dealer's ships!!! LOL
Great spell check I have!!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:46 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by cblankin
Originally Posted by jimrat
I imported a '62 from Ontario to Florida last year and concur with all of the previous answers. The Customs guy at the border was more interested in seeing the car than he was at viewing the paperwork.

Registering it in Florida was quite easy... I did have to make a trip to the Florida State offices to verify Ontario title with the VIN before taking the papers to the County Office to get a title issued, but it was a ten-minute deal. No fees beyond what you would pay on buying an ordinary car from an individual...sales tax, license plate, etc. Your state may differ...
Originally Posted by MidShark
No import tax or anything, (this was at the beginning of 2015) but I had to fill out some paperwork with the local Customs office (no cost) before I could transfer the ownership registration into a Michigan title for my '57.

Rich
OK, a guy on the Canadian board just told me:

AFAIK there should be no taxes,fees, or duties from the Canadian government if you are buying from an individual,if you are buying from a dealer you will pay the going PST/GST rate depending on the province
The last car I looked at importing was from a dealer, and I was quoted a ton in taxes, etc. This car is also at a dealer.

So, is the difference Im getting in answers individual vs dealer?

I was also told that theres no fees on a car over 25 years old... but the last car was a '63, so Im wondering if that, or the previously mentioned "Car originally sold at a US dealership" rules are squashed by the fact that Im buying from a dealer in Canada.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Canada to USA importing

Talk with James from Northern Corvette....he has done it numerous times
Old 09-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Rumblegutz
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts

Default Taxes

The taxes they cite if you buy from a dealer are basically sales taxes. 13% in total if you buy in Ontario. It varies across the country. Consists of Provincial sales tax now known as HST or Harmonized Sales Tax and GST. GST is Goods and Services Tax. A term they copied from the British. GST is the Federal tax which is supposed to pay down the National debt. Which doesn't seem to be happening.

Previous to the implantation of the HST the Provinces would only collect their own sales tax. They would not collect or report federally taxable transactions to to the Feds. The Feds finally bent over and agreed to give a piece of the their tax to the collecting provinces. Better that than receive no tax at all. Thus the burdensome HST or Harmonized Sales Tax which is provincial sales tax + federal sales tax.

Private sellers are like most places and do not charge tax which makes things much less complicated. In this case you pay applicable taxes in your home state when you register the car.

At least up until recently there was NOTHING to pay U.S Customs if it is a product produced by a U.S. company. Particularly if it was manufactured in the U.S. Just declare it upon entry and fill out a rather simple form. They will give you a document allowing you to register the car in your state.

Should you purchase a car in Canada I would do the following.

Do your home work doting your I's and cross your T's.

1. Make it clear to the seller you are exporting the car into the U.S. without delay.

2. Speak with the selling dealer about tax exemption for a vehicle being exported before and negotiations begin.

3. Verify with the Provincial Tax people any tax exemption or rebate and how to get it for goods immediately exported. I know this existed at one time. Take names times phone number and job title. I find these people unreliable. Particularly once the tax has been collected if you haven't done your home work.

4. Call U.S. Customs at the border crossing you intend to use to import the car and ask what they require. To the best of my knowledge Canada Customs have no interest as long as U.S. Customs do their job. U.S Customs mostly want the VIN to verify the car is not stolen and that the VIN on the paper work matches the VIN on the car as long as it is an American car. Imports are a different ball game. Right hand drive cars are strictly prohibited.

5. Maybe the most important. Keep precise records. Dates, names and job tiles, phone numbers, what you asked and what you were told and by whom etc.

Sounds worse than it is. I know I have sold into the U.S.

Importing a car into Canada is again, a whole different thing. U.S. Customs requires to have the Title at the crossing to be used 72 hours prior to export and you have to check in with them before proceeding to Canada who will have their hand out for the GST (federal tax). The provincial tax is collected when the car is registered.

Last edited by Rumblegutz; 09-26-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

OK, a guy on the Canadian board just told me:

The last car I looked at importing was from a dealer, and I was quoted a ton in taxes, etc. This car is also at a dealer.

So, is the difference Im getting in answers individual vs dealer?

I was also told that theres no fees on a car over 25 years old... but the last car was a '63, so Im wondering if that, or the previously mentioned "Car originally sold at a US dealership" rules are squashed by the fact that Im buying from a dealer in Canada.
This is just like Arizona. We can buy a car from a private party anywhere & pay NO sales tax but if you buy from a dealer even out of state you pay the sales tax.

Get notified of new replies

To Current cost to import from Canada?

Quick Reply: Current cost to import from Canada?