Sponsored by:

Advice on Removing Emblem Adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:09 AM
RedeyeJK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advice on Removing Emblem Adhesive

My boy accidently removed half of my front emblem a few months ago. The wind as I drove down the interstate removed the rest of it. I've already bought another emblem but now I'm trying to get the nose of the car clean from all the old glue/adhesive so I can get a clean surface to stick the new on one.

So far I've tried washing it really well, WD-40 several times, and now Goo Gone (after first testing it out on the inside passenger door sill). Nothing appears to be working.

Picture above is what it looks like right now. What I'm most concerned about is that area towards the right of the picture. Looks like glue, but it completely solid.

Any advice on how I can get this off the car without damaging the nose? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Daypoblue
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had success (on other cars) using Goof Off.
Works much better than Goo Gone.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:48 AM
ThePeoplesChamp
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goo Gone worked for me. I let it sit on the adhesive for about 30 seconds then wiped and used a plastic scraper. Rinse and repeat about 50 times and you should be alright.
The following users liked this post:
Preston.Corvette (12-30-2023)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:53 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Try warming the adhesive by using a hair dryer and see if it softens it up enough for you to be able to remove it.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Hotrodzz3
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

3M adhesive remover will take that right off
Old 09-25-2016, 11:55 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i would use 3M adhesive remover works well in all the stuff i have used it for
Old 09-25-2016, 03:05 PM
az57chevy
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrodzz3
3M adhesive remover will take that right off
I agree with 3M and let it sit in sun or use a low heat source to warm it up. You could also use a plastic razor blade to help nudge it loose
Old 09-25-2016, 05:39 PM
yanmar
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default removing adhesive

hotrodzz3......momo20......az57chevy.... ...are all giving you the best advice, 3M ADHESIVE REMOVER.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:44 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Is the residue tacky or sticky to the touch ? Reason I as is the CLOWN that previously owned my car had a thing for re-gluing loose emblems with Crazy Glue. If it is in fact an adhesive other then the sticky stuff then i doubt Goo Gone will remove it.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:06 AM
deejbee
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Is the residue tacky or sticky to the touch ? Reason I as is the CLOWN that previously owned my car had a thing for re-gluing loose emblems with Crazy Glue. If it is in fact an adhesive other then the sticky stuff then i doubt Goo Gone will remove it.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
I had to remove some 2 way tape from my Z28 that was 20 years old and Goo Gone took it right off easily.

To the OP, if that glue is hard like rock it might be crazy glue and you have a possible problem. I would think even if you manage to pick it off (no solvent will touch it without damaging the clear) it could mar your clear as it may have eaten in to it.

If the adhesive is soft (like foam or rubber) there is good and proper advice above this.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:18 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

3M Magic Eraser wheel will make quick work of that (I'd estimate 30 seconds or less).

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhe.../dp/B005RNGN8I
Old 09-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by nsogiba
3M Magic Eraser wheel will make quick work of that (I'd estimate 30 seconds or less).

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhe.../dp/B005RNGN8I
I would never use this on the soft body parts of the C5. I have one that I used for debadging my Silverado, but it would never touch my Vette.

I would only use 3M Adhesive Remover. You can find it at Advance Auto now.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:23 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I would never use this on the soft body parts of the C5. I have one that I used for debadging my Silverado, but it would never touch my Vette.

I removed the adhesive of both the front and rear badges, as well as the length of the glue under the BSMs on both sides, using this product. No adverse effects. I don't know what you see as "soft" on the C5. The fiberglass body can't "dent", unlike the steel on your Silverado. The friction is what removes the glue, not downward pressure.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

A hair dryer works great in conjunction with liberal use of goo gone. And after that, a little rubbing compound, then some wax. Easy Peasy.......

Shakey
Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I agree. You are sure to take off some paint. And depending on how you use it, probably too much paint.

Shakey
Old 09-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

When I removed my rear badge, I used lacquer thinner on a rag. Just rinse it off after.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:25 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

No damage to paint. I did, however, soften the glue by presoaking it in GooGone for about 30 mins prior to buffing it off.

From my progress thread:
Rinse her down with hot water to soften the tape a bit and clean any dirt and grime off

_DSC4776 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

This piece came off with very minimal effort, surprisingly

_DSC4777 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Glue came off easily too. Not the case for the rest of the doors

_DSC4778 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Time to start flossin' baby

_DSC4780 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

So the glue on the door is miserable soft foamy stuff, I spent about half an hour peeling chunks off with my fingernails before I had enough. off to the store to buy this bad boy which was the best thing since sliced bread and craft beer.

_DSC4782 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Very effective but leaves a pretty nasty mess of wax, foam, and dust behind. Worth every single penny

_DSC4783 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4784 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4785 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4786 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Quick wipe down with a microfiber looked great but there was still an imprint of adhesive around the perimeter

_DSC4787 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I read about horror stories where guys with brightly colored cars down south (read: sun-baked) had a big shade difference when removing theirs. Mine was a NE car stored in a a garage so it was barely visible, especially on a black car. Anyhow out came the DA

_DSC4787 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4788 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4789 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Pulled it out for a quick wash, looks a ton better

_DSC4790 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4791 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4792 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on Removing Emblem Adhesive

Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 PM
RedeyeJK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deejbee
Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
I had to remove some 2 way tape from my Z28 that was 20 years old and Goo Gone took it right off easily.

To the OP, if that glue is hard like rock it might be crazy glue and you have a possible problem. I would think even if you manage to pick it off (no solvent will touch it without damaging the clear) it could mar your clear as it may have eaten in to it.

If the adhesive is soft (like foam or rubber) there is good and proper advice above this.
Unfortunately I think you might have hit the nail on the head. I've now used Goo Gone and Goof Off. Both helped, and got the majority cleaned up.

That portion to the right though is still there. And, like you asked above, it's hard as a rock. I am starting to wonder if it is indeed crazy glue or something of the sort. Agreed that if that's the case then I won't be able to get it off without damaging the paint or clear coat. Actually, if you look really, really close you can see where some spots of this glue have eaten through the clear coat. Not majorly, but a tiny bit.

So the next question is this...now that the majority is cleaned off, and even the "crazy glue" portion is only a little ridge, not something huge, can I put my new emblem on? Or I am just risking the wind taking it off because I wouldn't be able to get a close, good seal on that right side?

Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:05 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RedeyeJK
Unfortunately I think you might have hit the nail on the head. I've now used Goo Gone and Goof Off. Both helped, and got the majority cleaned up.

That portion to the right though is still there. And, like you asked above, it's hard as a rock. I am starting to wonder if it is indeed crazy glue or something of the sort. Agreed that if that's the case then I won't be able to get it off without damaging the paint or clear coat. Actually, if you look really, really close you can see where some spots of this glue have eaten through the clear coat. Not majorly, but a tiny bit.

So the next question is this...now that the majority is cleaned off, and even the "crazy glue" portion is only a little ridge, not something huge, can I put my new emblem on? Or I am just risking the wind taking it off because I wouldn't be able to get a close, good seal on that right side?

Thanks again!
If there isn't a massive ridge of dried glue then yes, you can put another one over it. The foam adhesive backing on the emblem should give enough to allow you to fully seat the emblem.

One last tip: clean off the area with some wax/grease remover so the new adhesive has a clean non oily/greasy surface to adhere to.

Last edited by SG Lou; 09-26-2016 at 11:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RedeyeJK (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 01:03 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

WD-40 will remove glue or you can carefully use lacquer thinner.

Quick Reply: Advice on Removing Emblem Adhesive