C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Please excuse my ignorance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM
VETT457
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Please excuse my ignorance

I see this often on this forum.
"Repop" meaning Reproduction. What is the relation or association?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:07 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by VETT457
I see this often on this forum.
"Repop" meaning Reproduction. What is the relation or association?
just urban slang...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Repop

Top Definition

Repop
A reproduction of an original item.
1: Dude is that a 62 Vespa?

2: Nah, its a Vietnamese repop.

Bill
Old 09-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Repop

Repop is a fairly new internet slang. Before Gore invented the interwebs, us car guys used repro as a short for reproduction. Somewhere along the way it changed. Now because its fashionable to get your expertise on TV or internet, the term is used alot.

I still use repro, as I think repop makes no sense.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:49 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

For some parts, "repop" does make some sense . . . if new parts are made using original older molds, they are literally "re-popped" out of those molds. Somehow it has been co-opted to mean any reproduction part, which is (in my opinion) much less accurate.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Repopped parts was an expression LONG before the internet and in common use in the hobby anywhere I lived...

repop:

a) reproduction parts
b) what happens when your mother remarries
c) when you get a second can of soda

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-26-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:06 PM
mblake101
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Repop

Now that's funny, Frankie! 😀

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Repopped parts was an expression LONG before the internet and in common use in the hobby anywhere I lived...

repop:

a) reproduction parts
Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
Repop is a fairly new internet slang. Before Gore invented the interwebs, us car guys used repro as a short for reproduction. Somewhere along the way it changed. Now because its fashionable to get your expertise on TV or internet, the term is used alot.

Gary
Old 09-26-2016, 01:54 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

repop:

a) reproduction parts

d. Someone who "pops off" for a second time.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:39 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Reproduction - a part that duplicates the original in material, dimension,finish,etc. Exceedingly rare in the automotive aftermarket.

Repop - a part (usually made in China) that bears a passing resemblance to the original part.

As far as "repop" making sense, it may well have been derived from the pejorative '60s slang word "popout" which referred to mass produced surf boards.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan

Two bad things about the Internet is that misinformation travels faster and the huge proliferation makes it appear true.

If someone uses a term that they think is right (misunderstood the real term, or uses a "sound alike" term) and a few others who don't know begin using it like it is real so they sound knowledgeable, it doesn't take long for it to spread and be "accepted" on the Internet.

Some cases are the 461 heads that were traditionally double hump heads. People have added a deviation with "camel hump" heads and then a deviation on that with "camel back" heads. There were two humps on the head. They had nothing to do with a camel.

Then there is frame off, which is technically backwards, as you take the body off on a body off restoration. Yet everyone refers to "frame off" restorations today.

With news groups, list servers, early forums, and now the huge multitude of forums, most terms are so ingrained, they are "right" even if they are wrong.

And this same issue is destroying the English language with all the misspellings that are being accepted as "right".
Old 09-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

We can make this simple by comparing two replacement parts, in this case a grill for a 1961 Corvette, that I had in my possession at one time...

The upper piece is an overseas made "repop" and the lower is a modern "repro" (reproduction) part.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-26-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

if you really want to see a POS, you should look at some of the 62 grilles that GM was selling while they were still available from GM....

Bill
Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
For some parts, "repop" does make some sense . . . if new parts are made using original older molds, they are literally "re-popped" out of those molds. Somehow it has been co-opted to mean any reproduction part, which is (in my opinion) much less accurate.
It's a rare piece indeed that's made from the original tooling that looks as it did 50 or 60 years ago.

For example have you looked at a Corvette aluminum valve cover made with the original mold ? The "O" in Corvette is nothing like an older part due to tool wear.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
Two bad things about the Internet is that misinformation travels faster and the huge proliferation makes it appear true.

If someone uses a term that they think is right (misunderstood the real term, or uses a "sound alike" term) and a few others who don't know begin using it like it is real so they sound knowledgeable, it doesn't take long for it to spread and be "accepted" on the Internet.

Some cases are the 461 heads that were traditionally double hump heads. People have added a deviation with "camel hump" heads and then a deviation on that with "camel back" heads. There were two humps on the head. They had nothing to do with a camel.

Then there is frame off, which is technically backwards, as you take the body off on a body off restoration. Yet everyone refers to "frame off" restorations today.

With news groups, list servers, early forums, and now the huge multitude of forums, most terms are so ingrained, they are "right" even if they are wrong.

And this same issue is destroying the English language with all the misspellings that are being accepted as "right".
I know I may have a few words that get by me when I type.....BUT...I can not handle people using the 'text' language when writing in any other area other than their device to someone who can understand that crap.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Please excuse my ignorance

Quick Reply: Please excuse my ignorance